ot: top three tv (cable or network) shows? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ot: top three tv (cable or network) shows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Top 3 all time
Cheers
Hill Street Blues
Soprano's
Just missed: Seinfeld, The Odd Couple, All In The Family, and Newhart

Top 3 on air today:
Sons of Anarchy
Dexter
The Office w/ Steve Carrell
Just missed: Always Sunny in Philly, Good Wife, Breaking Bad, and How I Met Your Mother (this show has grown on me the past year or so - probably b/c Jason Segal's career has taken off in movies, and to a lesser degree so has NPH.

Reaction Score
Drama - The Wire
Comedy - Coupling or Arrested Development
Sci-Fi/Fantasy - Doctor Who
Mini series - prime suspect
Sentimental favorite - Picket Fences

All of them can be argued except the wire, best show ever. And if you have never watched coupling, it is only 29 episodes and streams on Netflix.

Reaction Score
1. Mad Men
2. The Killing
3. Tie.....Sons of Anarchy and Boardwalk Empire................

All-Time as a kid......

1) Leave it to Beaver
2) The Rifleman
3) Tie.......Courtship of Eddies Father and Lost in Space

Reaction Score
FNL - In which a marriage kicks insane ass. What a spectacular show. Sure, it had it's flaws. e.g., Riggins and Landry must've been about 11 years old when the show started according to the overall timeline. But still, that show was great. Definitely recommend going through it on DVD to some of the more family-oriented boneyarders. Great for everyone, really, except scrooge and the devil.
+1 on FNL. It never got an audience since most people, including myself, assumed it was only about high school football. That couldn't be further from the point. I started watching it on netflix and couldn't stop. I would highly recommend it to anyone.

I would have to put FNL and the Wire as my #1 and #2, not sure which order though.

I think it would be interesting to have threads for best TV seasons and even best TV episodes of all time. I think these could look very different from best shows. For example, I would have to include Mad Men season 4 and The Office season 2 in that list. Episodes would take awhile longer, but one that immediately jumps to mind is "The Son" episode in FNL.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Best single episode I've seen in the last decade was Reno 911, "." It's usually good for a laugh or two, but this one made me almost pi$$ myself.

If you're even a little bit religious, you're gonna be offended though.

Reaction Score
FNL is a very good show, I absolutely agree. I started watching it a few months ago and was addicted and got through 2 1/2 seasons in a couple of weeks but I actually got somewhat bored of it and haven't felt compelled to finish. I eventually will and I especially like the soundtrack on the show. Regarding Riggins, I think he was 25 when he was playing a 15 year old and it was quite obvious. I think Landry was the appropriate age. Random - I was watching Super last night with Rain Wilson and Saracen was in the movie. First time I've seen him outside of FNL.

Dexter's first few seasons and the John Lithgow season were awesome but its gotten to the point where its unwatchable.

I hated The Killing - SPOILER-

Was watching just to find out who killed Rosie even though the previous 5 or so episodes were dreadful and then we don't even find out. Unfortunately, I think I will probably watch this upcoming season atleast until the murder is resolved.

My favorite show currently is Breaking Bad. Favorite ever is BB or The Wire. Really liked the first season of Homeland, Damien Lewis was awesome, and Game of Thrones. Not usually into that genre but awesome show. I actually started to read the books as well after one of the BY posters, I believe Intzlcster, heavily recommended it (who has apparently disappeared) but got bored and decided to wait til season 2.

The two shows which I realize aren't great but was absolutely hooked for a while are Lost and Prison Break. Lost was a great show to watch over a long winter break and Prison Break had an awesome 2 season run.

Reaction Score
Breaking Bad is awesome.
I really like the Walking Dead too for mindless gore with a good apocolyptic story mixed in.

The Wire was the best.

Someone else mentioned it above but my all time favorite mini series is Band of Brothers. I have it on DVD and have watched it countless times.

Reaction Score
The killing? Horrible, absolutely horrible.
FNL is a very good show, I absolutely agree. I started watching it a few months ago and was addicted and got through 2 1/2 seasons in a couple of weeks but I actually got somewhat bored of it and haven't felt compelled to finish. I eventually will and I especially like the soundtrack on the show. Regarding Riggins, I think he was 25 when he was playing a 15 year old and it was quite obvious. I think Landry was the appropriate age. Random - I was watching Super last night with Rain Wilson and Saracen was in the movie. First time I've seen him outside of FNL.

Dexter's first few seasons and the John Lithgow season were awesome but its gotten to the point where its unwatchable.

I hated The Killing - SPOILER-

Was watching just to find out who killed Rosie even though the previous 5 or so episodes were dreadful and then we don't even find out. Unfortunately, I think I will probably watch this upcoming season atleast until the murder is resolved.

My favorite show currently is Breaking Bad. Favorite ever is BB or The Wire. Really liked the first season of Homeland, Damien Lewis was awesome, and Game of Thrones. Not usually into that genre but awesome show. I actually started to read the books as well after one of the BY posters, I believe Intzlcster, heavily recommended it (who has apparently disappeared) but got bored and decided to wait til season 2.

The two shows which I realize aren't great but was absolutely hooked for a while are Lost and Prison Break. Lost was a great show to watch over a long winter break and Prison Break had an awesome 2 season run.

Last episode made it even better...........wow you and progrocks are missing the boat but that's why we have opinions..........I just can't get into Breaking Bad so tastes are all different. Hang on for this spring..................

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Twin Peaks now seems like a guilty pleasure when looking back on it, especially the way it ended in the quantum weirdness (as opposed to its weird quirkiness). But looking back, I watched that show with more interest from week to week than any other show that I can remember. It's kind of a one time experience....I don't know that I would or could ever watch it again from start to finish. How many shows have giants and midgets and Agent Dale Cooper, alternate dimensions, etc.?

Hill Street Blues was also a great show, the first really good ensemble show with multiple story lines. The current cable shows have the advantage of wider latitude to spice things up with violence, nudity, etc.

I think that you would have to break things down into a few categories so to not be comparing apples to oranges, although I'm not sure what category Twin Peaks would be in. I thought The Sopranos was great, I like Game of Thrones, although it was not that good but I give fantasy/science fiction shows more leeway because I think that they are harder to do well. I liked Lost because it was ambitious and had a high weirdness quotient--it was very good but lacked something that would have made it really great in my view (the overall resolution did not grab me). Mad Men is very good. For a mindless roller coaster of a show, I liked "24." The pace never slowed down, even if much of it was completely impossible in terms of time and distance. I'm worried about the world without Jack Bauer to save us. I still love 30 Rock....Alec Baldwin is perfect in that role. Enough rambling.

Reaction Score
Network Drama: Northern Exposure
Network Comedy: Monty Python's Flying Circus (BBC is a network)
American Network Comedy: Cheers
Miscellaneous: Whose Line Is It Anyway
Guilty Pleasure Not Ashamed To Admit: Married With Children

Reaction Score
Last episode made it even better...........wow you and progrocks are missing the boat but that's why we have opinions..........I just can't get into Breaking Bad so tastes are all different. Hang on for this spring..................

Understandable, two of my good friends love the show. I really liked the pilot and was all in after 2 eps. but the obvious red herrings at the end of each episode got old really fast.

Reaction Score
The shield.
Lost
Archer

I religiously watched boardwalk empire like no other show. Then they killed darmody and I've completely lost intrest

Reaction Score
Breaking Bad is awesome.
I really like the Walking Dead too for mindless gore with a good apocolyptic story mixed in.

The Wire was the best.

Someone else mentioned it above but my all time favorite mini series is Band of Brothers. I have it on DVD and have watched it countless times.

If you like Band of Brothers you should check out Generation Kill

Reaction Score
The shield.
Lost
Archer

I religiously watched boardwalk empire like no other show. Then they C'MON DUDE

Some of us, like myself, are just beginning season 2 so it would be nice if you would delete your post or put up a Spoiler warning.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be here if it weren't for The Simpsons, which was instrumental in my raising a child who would answer The Wire & Arrested Development, but because I haven't watched much TV in the past 5 years, I'd have to fill-in with The Sopranos & Seinfeld, though Office episodes with Steve Carrel are what I can watch most back-to-back these days

Reaction Score
big bang theory
family guy
original battlestar galactica

Reaction Score
Knight Rider - got cheesy towards the end
The Hulk - great show
Baretta

Reaction Score
Kung
Voltron
charlies angles -loved jaclyn smith
3's company

Reaction Score
Best current shows:
Dexter (although most recent season was weakest)
Sherlock (freaking great British show - modern day rendition of Sherlock Holmes)
Homeland (on showtime)
Psych (on USA)

Best older shows:
Arrested Development (hands down best writing and casting i've ever seen)
Scrubs (guilty pleasure)
Band of Brothers (best Miniseries maybe ever. Damien Lewis is sooo good)

Show I am most looking forward to:
Awake (on NBC) stars Jason Isaacs. check out the trailer www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDbF8b9wkMs

Show I wish didn't get canceled:
Terriers (on FX for 1 season). seriously, go watch it and you'll agree, I promise.

Reaction Score
Scrubs is better than a guilty pleasure, it was a show that has great physical humor and yet can punch you in the face in an emotional context like no other comedy could. Occasionally heartbreaking sad, but always silly. I meet some Germans who said they liked it and that scared me though, so much of the humor is racial and homoerotic with Turk and JD and I am not sure how well that translates. Do others get the context the jokes are coming from?

Anyway, I recommend terriers also, good season.

Reaction Score
And also, the first three episodes of Sherlock were great and I can not wait for the next batch in a couple months (though they are already airing in England). I will watch anything Steven Moffit produces, best writer in British tv for the last decade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom