OT top 10 power forwards of alltime | The Boneyard

OT top 10 power forwards of alltime

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Before McHale was injured, he'd be #3 on this list. Unstoppable. The Lakers put 4 guys on him in the 1985 Finals, he was unstoppable. I don't know if you can actually get old tapes to watch him play, but he was scoring at will. And he was obviously a great defender. Only Malone and Duncan have ever played better.

That being said, the days of McHale's dominance were short. He had a 10 year or so career but was only dominant from 1983-1987. When he messed up his foot, that's it: his play went downhill.

Reaction Score
Bob Pettit should be ahead of McHale. Garnett could never carry a team like Nowitzi, Dirk is one of the biggest playoff beasts ever and is slotted where he should be.

Reaction Score
Bob Pettit should be ahead of McHale. Garnett could never carry a team like Nowitzi, Dirk is one of the biggest playoff beasts ever and is slotted where he should be.

Yep KG is great but there has to be something said about winning the championship as the top dog on your team and doing it on a homegrown team, and making the finals twice.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
My favorite line was that Larry Bird did the impossible. He won three consecutive MVPs while being the 2nd best player on his team.. McHale was almost as good offensively while drawing the likes of Bernard King on defense. Bird was allowed to play a one man zone in the paint for his entire career. Bird was always a power forward playing out of position.
Bernie King, if guarded by Bird, would have averaged around 75 points a game.
My other pet peeve is the branding of Duncan as a power forward.

Reaction Score
The 2011 season Dirk had a pretty good team. Jason terry had one of his best seasons, Shawn Marion was still pretty good and had a good season, Kidd averaged 8 and 8 which is alright, although not his peak, and Tyson Chandler was very good, especially in the playoffs. KG on Minnesota never had a team like that. Don't forget, KG averaged 24pts 14rbs 5assts 2blks and almost 2 steals his MVP season, that's incredible. The best teammate he ever had was Sam Cassell

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
The 2011 season Dirk had a pretty good team. Jason terry had one of his best seasons, Shawn Marion was still pretty good and had a good season, Kidd averaged 8 and 8 which is alright, although not his peak, and Tyson Chandler was very good, especially in the playoffs. KG on Minnesota never had a team like that. Don't forget, KG averaged 24pts 14rbs 5assts 2blks and almost 2 steals his MVP season, that's incredible. The best teammate he ever had was Sam Cassell
No relation to our Sam Cassell. Can't be.

Reaction Score
Dirk had Kidd in the twilight of his career and Marion a few years removed from his prime and he went through Durant and Westbrook and Lebron, Wade and Bosh in the finals. Dirk was superhuman that playoffs, can't remember another player carrying his team to win the title like that.

Reaction Score
My favorite line was that Larry Bird did the impossible. He won three consecutive MVPs while being the 2nd best player on his team.. McHale was almost as good offensively while drawing the likes of Bernard King on defense. Bird was allowed to play a one man zone in the paint for his entire career. Bird was always a power forward playing out of position.
Bernie King, if guarded by Bird, would have averaged around 75 points a game.
My other pet peeve is the branding of Duncan as a power forward.
McHale better than Bird, wtf are you talking about? Your pet peeve is a strange pet peeve considering Tim Duncan has played power forward the majority of his career.

Reaction Score
Dirk had Kidd in the twilight of his career and Marion a few years removed from his prime and he went through Durant and Westbrook and Lebron, Wade and Bosh in the finals. Dirk was superhuman that playoffs, can't remember another player carrying his team to win the title like that.
But he had a good supporing class nonetheless, KG never really had that.

Reaction Score
But he had a good supporing class nonetheless, KG never really had that.
KG never really had that and never really did anything in the playoffs until he joined forces in Boston. The one year he made it out of the first round in Minnesota and into the Western conference finals he had Cassell at point guard who was an all-star and averaged 20 and 8 and Sprewell at shooting guard.

Reaction Score
McHale better than Bird, wtf are you talking about? Your pet peeve is a strange pet peeve considering Tim Duncan has played power forward the majority of his career.

For a period in 1985, McHale played better than any person in the NBA had during the 1980s, until Michael Jordan arrived. In other words, McHale's best was better than Bird's best. But McHale's window was so short.

Reaction Score
For a period in 1985, McHale played better than any person in the NBA had during the 1980s, until Michael Jordan arrived. In other words, McHale's best was better than Bird's best. But McHale's window was so short.
This is laughable, for a three week stretch Jeremy Lin was one of the best players in the NBA.

Reaction Score
See 1985 NBA Finals

For the 1985 entire playoffs Bird averaged 26 pts to McHales 22 pts, 9.1 rbs to 9.9 rbs, and 5.8 asts to 1.5. Don't get me wrong, I loved Kevin when he was with the Celtics.

Reaction Score
This is laughable, for a three week stretch Jeremy Lin was one of the best players in the NBA.

You'll have to remind me about the time Jeremy Lin dominated in the NBA Finals.

Did you even watch back then?

Reaction Score
Kevin McHale was really good and deserves to be up there on that list no doubt. But for anyone who believes he was better than Bird in any way is absolutely high. Larry made him and Chief better. Not saying both players weren't already really good, just telling you his passing ability and the fact he was on the court helped both players expand their games.

Reaction Score
For the 1985 entire playoffs Bird averaged 26 pts to McHales 22 pts, 9.1 rbs to 9.9 rbs, and 5.8 asts to 1.5. Don't get me wrong, I loved Kevin when he was with the Celtics.

Finals: McHale averaged 26 ppg, shot 60%, 10.7 rebounds, 1.8 blocks.

60%!!! The Lakers were sending their whole team at him, and they couldn't stop him. It was a dominant performance and for the Finals where everything is much more difficult than, let's say, Jeremy Lin playing the Nuggets in December, it was otherworldly.

The videos are up at youtube.

Reaction Score
Kevin McHale was really good and deserves to be up there on that list no doubt. But for anyone who believes he was better than Bird in any way is absolutely high. Larry made him and Chief better. Not saying both players weren't already really good, just telling you his passing ability and the fact he was on the court helped both players expand their games.

And that's not what I said.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Bob Pettit should be ahead of McHale.

Really, really hard to compare those older era guys in the modern game.

Your pet peeve is a strange pet peeve considering Tim Duncan has played power forward the majority of his career.

I'm still scratching my head on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom