OT: Tiny pet peeve | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Tiny pet peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Message boards are an informal method of communicating. Comprehension should be the only driver of grammar criticism. I wonder how many lurkers don't post because they worry that somebody here is nitpicking their grammar.

I used to worry about my grammar and punctuation so I hesitated to post. Thanks to HFD I just don't care any more.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
Small grammatical thing. Lot's of people write "should of" or "would of" etc, when the right way is "should have" or "could have". The conjunction is, for example "should've" which sounds like "should of" but isn't.

In a war of wits . . .I come unarmed! Perhaps you well-schooled New Englanders can cope with the grammatical thing, but as for me ... I was born on East 3rd Street and Avenue A in Manhattan.
Fuugetaboudit!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Message boards are an informal method of communicating. Comprehension should be the only driver of grammar criticism. I wonder how many lurkers don't post because they worry that somebody here is nitpicking their grammar.

I assume that these boards will always be full of typos, informality and whatever else equals less than business practice. My typing is always way behind my brain, so I am always leaving words out and I rarely proofread my posts. My innocent little post was about a very common incorrect usage that is not a typo, but a words intended to be used. It didn't single anyone out. It might be something transferable to endeavors away from this website. Don't lose sleep, friend, believe me I don't. Go Huskies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
It's a friggen' basketball message board! It might be more constructive to consider why you find grammatical errors so annoying and more importantly, why you feel the urge to complain about it.

Actually, it would seem more constructive to consider why you bothered to read through 10 or so replies to a post you found so annoying and, more importantly, why you feel the urge to then post a complaint about it.

Reaction Score
In a war of wits . . .I come unarmed! Perhaps you well-schooled New Englanders can cope with the grammatical thing, but as for me ... I was born on East 3rd Street and Avenue A in Manhattan.
Fuugetaboudit!
Beachfront property.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
Beachfront property.

Listen up! ... dose guys can cope wit anythin! A little wada ain't nothin!
FYI - words like "dose", "earl" (oil), "terlet" (toilet) are a Brooklyn accent. Just on the other side of the East River -- but a great divide! There is NO reason a Manhattanite would want to visit his cousins in the provinces. As a kid my dad bought me a baseball cap off of a pushcart. Unfortunately it had a "B" for Brooklyn. I was a social outcast at the age of 5.

My Olde Neighborhood has:

Katz's Deli: [1888] Recognized as best in the world. Make everything on premises. Pickles, Corned Beef, Pastrami. Where Harry met Sally! Have WWI sign in window: "Buy a salami for your boys in the army" Once, while on leave I bumped into Jacquiline Kennedy there. She was gnoshing, I think, on corned beef.

McSorley's Ale House: [1854] Abraham Lincoln drank there! Serve Ales and, I'm told -- food.
Across the street from my church. (You can figure out the opportunities yourself!)

Lombardy's Pizza: [1905] Oldest Pizza place in the U.S.A. We were loyal to a different joint.
Tall Hemp plant growing outside door next to tree.

images

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
Small grammatical thing. Lot's of people write "should of" or "would of" etc, when the right way is "should have" or "could have". The conjunction is, for example "should've" which sounds like "should of" but isn't.

I despise "unwords"! English is mashugana.
Consider "preplan". What the hell is the "pre" for ? Can you "post plan"? [I need a drink!
"Well Emperor we have defeated the Austrians and Russians at Austerlitz! "Got time to do the postplanning?"
♦ If something is "flammable" it means it will burn readily .. right? So if it's inflammable that should mean it doesn't burn? Wrong! Both words mean the same thing! English is mashugana!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I despise "unwords"! English is mashugana.
Consider "preplan". What the hell is the "pre" for ? Can you "post plan"? [I need a drink!
"Well Emperor we have defeated the Austrians and Russians at Austerlitz! "Got time to do the postplanning?"
♦ If something is "flammable" it means it will burn readily .. right? So if it's inflammable that should mean it doesn't burn? Wrong! Both words mean the same thing! English is mashugana!
[/quote
You are becoming unruly. (Did you spell check mashugana? Some sources say meshugana. It's all nuts to me.)

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
cohenzone said:
You are becoming unruly. (Did you spell check mashugana? Some sources say meshugana. It's all nuts to me.)

Spell check? The Yiddish language is written in Hebrew script -- tough to spell check. 97/100 examples I have seen in English are "Mashugana". They talk (and curse) in Ukranian, Cantonise. Italian, Polish and Russian in the Lower East Side. The oft used word "Chachki" (meaning trinket or little artifact) is not Yiddish at all but of Slavic origin. (цяцька in Ukrainian.)

English is a nightmare in some ways. For example "Hurry up down" (from upstairs) can drive non-English speaking people nuts.

English has a major benefit. You are able to express a thought in far fewer words than other languages. Great for pilots and other applications.

Another oddity is that there are many more words to express the same thing in English. This is because English absorbed all the Norman words during the Norman conquest. The English dictionary is twice as thick as a French or German dictionary.

Da Svidaniya

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
There were some really funny responses to the op. Some smart dudes as well.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Flammable is a word "created" to ensure people understand the volatile nature of a material. Inflammable was the word used previously. There was concern that people unfamiliar with the meaning of inflammable would take the "in" part to mean not, since "in" as a prefix quite often means just that.

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
Gnoshing?????

Decidedly wrong.

D'Oh? ----- You eat in our Deli's you speak our languages! Gnosh or (Nosh) is one of about 50 Yiddish words in common usage.
I found a plethora of Yiddish words used on Wall Street and Madison Avenue. I had to teach newbies from Nebraska and the like what words such as shlep, shtik, bupkes, glitch, chutzpah, klutz, and maven meant.

Reaction Score
D'Oh? ----- You eat in our Deli's you speak our languages! Gnosh or (Nosh) is one of about 50 Yiddish words in common usage.
I found a plethora of Yiddish words used on Wall Street and Madison Avenue. I had to teach newbies from Nebraska and the like what words such as shlep, shtik, bupkes, glitch, chutzpah, klutz, and maven meant.
Get off your high horse. I'm talking about spelling, Doc. It's not "or nosh" - it is nosh. "Gnosh" is either a typo, a misunderstanding, or an affectation.

Go to a neutral arbiter, like Google.

nosh - 5,400,000 hits
gnosh - 79,600 hits

You lose.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Perhaps one poster was gnashing his teeth while noshing on a tough bagel.

Reminds me, wasn't it S.J. Perlman who was unsuccessful when hunting ptarmigans because he forgot to pull the ptrigger?

Reaction Score
... Reminds me, wasn't it S.J. Perlman who was unsuccessful when hunting ptarmigans because he forgot to pull the ptrigger?
Speaking of ptarmigans, were you aware that the first syllable of 'partridge' comes from the same Indo-European root as 'fart?'

DrDos

Skimmer
Reaction Score
Get off your high horse. I'm talking about spelling, Doc. It's not "or nosh" - it is nosh. "Gnosh" is either a typo, a misunderstanding, or an affectation.

nosh - 5,400,000 hits
gnosh - 79,600 hits

You lose.

We can't argue with Google, now can we? After all a compilation of "information" supplied by anyone who wants to provide their two cents worth can't possibly be in error. What's the opposte of scholorship? The answer is Google!

Yiddish is old German (with some Hebrew mixed in) written in Hebrew text. Phonetic spelling in English can vary.
nosh (also spelled gnosh, pronounced with a short o. or knosh) oy -or- oi, gevalt -or- gevault, mensch -or- mentsch, tuckus -or- tuchus.

They spelled it gnosh were we bought our bagels on E. Houston Street -- good enough for me.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In PA Deutsch usages it is, generally, spelled with a "g" which is not completely silent. I believe there is regionalism involved which is not unusual.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Speaking of ptarmigans, were you aware that the first syllable of 'partridge' comes from the same Indo-European root as 'fart?'
Two things immediately come to mind. First, I thought my pool of knowledge had some arcane stuff? Second, there are roots that fart?:eek:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score

nosh - 5,400,000 hits
gnosh - 79,600 hits

You lose.

Gnosh is listed in the Urban Dictionary so it must be authentic. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom