OT: Tiny pet peeve | The Boneyard

OT: Tiny pet peeve

Status
Not open for further replies.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Small grammatical thing. Lot's of people write "should of" or "would of" etc, when the right way is "should have" or "could have". The conjunction is, for example "should've" which sounds like "should of" but isn't.

Reaction Score
All of us were taught...or at least we used to be taught...that word pronunciation is driven by spelling, i.e. the way in which words are pronounced is closely tied to the rules of spelling. What we have discovered, however, is that it's actually often quite the opposite and that word pronunciation frequently forces changes in spelling. Just one of the ways that languages evolve and why most of us would struggle to make sense of 800 year old versions of our native tongue.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
All of us were taught...or at least we used to be taught...that word pronunciation is driven by spelling, i.e. the way in which words are pronounced is closely tied to the rules of spelling. What we have discovered, however, is that it's actually often quite the opposite and that word pronunciation frequently forces changes in spelling. Just one of the ways that languages evolve and why most of us would struggle to make sense of 800 year old versions of our native tongue.

The war between pronunciation and spelling is not easily one.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It happens every day. A word used very often on TV news programs recently is "electoral."

The correct pronunciation is "e-LECK-toral," stress on second syllable. Most often I hear something like "e-leck-TOR-al," and even Rhodes scholar Dr. Rachel Maddow sneaks an extra syllable in there: "e-leck-TOR-e-al."

And in your otherwise thoughtful OP, didn't you mean to say "Lots of people" (no apostrophe in "lots")?

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
Small grammatical thing. Lot's of people write "should of" or "would of" etc, when the right way is "should have" or "could have". The conjunction is, for example "should've" which sounds like "should of" but isn't.

"Lot's of?"

Yes, that's a pet peeve of mine. Another one is errant apostrophe(')s in plural noun(')s.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
It's a friggen' basketball message board! It might be more constructive to consider why you find grammatical errors so annoying and more importantly, why you feel the urge to complain about it.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Mine is people (and I use that term loosely) who use the word infer, when they obviously mean imply. Come on people, this isn't horseshoes or hand-grenades, we are not doing government work here.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
Mine is people (and I use that term loosely) who use the word infer, when they obviously mean imply. Come on people, this isn't horseshoes or hand-grenades, we are not doing government work here.

Oxymoron alert .... oxymoron alert: government work

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's a friggen' basketball message board! It might be more constructive to consider why you find grammatical errors so annoying and more importantly, why you feel the urge to complain about it.

Hmm. I said "tiny" pet peeve and marked it OT. Nobody forced you to read it.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score

No need for an apostrophe with friggen...moreover, many contemporary scholars also spell friggen with an “e”(freggin). The debate rages with no resolution in cite.

Reaction Score

For those who don't believe that grammar, punctuation, etc matter ...

seal comma.jpg

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score

From a long time English teacher -- you get a gold star today for your astute observation, polite suggestion, and supporting clarification. BRAVO.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

Shoudn't there be a comma after "for example". Also "Small grammatical thing." is not a complete sentence.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yeah, we should of known that.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Had you mentioned grammar, I wouldn't have.

Message boards are an informal method of communicating. Comprehension should be the only driver of grammar criticism. I wonder how many lurkers don't post because they worry that somebody here is nitpicking their grammar.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
No need for an apostrophe with friggen...moreover, many contemporary scholars also spell friggen with an “e”(freggin). The debate rages with no resolution in cite.
It's getting pretty friggen..er, freggin..er, frackin'..er, freakin' rediculous when we need euphamisisms for our euphamisisms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom