OT: Tiger and Firestone | The Boneyard

OT: Tiger and Firestone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just guessing there's no shot of Husky91 showing up again until Tiger only contends at the PGA.........he only shot 70 the last day so I thought we may hear from him so he coud say "see he can't break 70 on Sunday"....lol

The field was littered with all the top players.......but he can't win!!:eek:

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Heh - I've been waiting for this thread to start. With a 7 shot lead (ballooning to 9 at one point), there's no reason to do anything but make pars. If an occasional 15+ footer rolls in, it's a bonus. He was laying back on most holes and throwing long iron darts at the middle of the green. His putting looks to be 90% back (which is 20% better than most of the rest). His short game is at least 95% back and better than anyone else in the field save Phil. If he can fix his driver over the next three days, he's going to be very difficult to beat next weekend.

Reaction Score
Heh - I've been waiting for this thread to start. With a 7 shot lead (ballooning to 9 at one point), there's no reason to do anything but make pars. If an occasional 15+ footer rolls in, it's a bonus. He was laying back on most holes and throwing long iron darts at the middle of the green. His putting looks to be 90% back (which is 20% better than most of the rest). His short game is at least 95% back and better than anyone else in the field save Phil. If he can fix his driver over the next three days, he's going to be very difficult to beat next weekend.
He may leave the driver home. Worked for Phil at The Open. To me, he just swings too hard with it. Doesn't take much to go wrong.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
He may leave the driver home. Worked for Phil at The Open. To me, he just swings too hard with it. Doesn't take much to go wrong.

I'll never understand why pros can't put the ball down the center third of the fairway 90% of the time. If you're knocking it in the rough 50% of the time, take 5 or 10 yards off the swing and take the roll out instead of being 25 yards back in the tall grass. When I play regularly, I can hit 260 - 270 down the middle all day long. No reason for someone of Tigers strength not to be able to go 300-315 down the middle all day long. If you can hit a 5 iron 200 yards to the middle of the green, there aren't too many holes that hurt you going 300+ down the middle.

Reaction Score
3 wood is long enough w/o a doubt and his 5 wood is pretty damn good too.......when you can hit 6-8irons anywhere from 185-220 who cares just lay it on the carpet........

He did what he had to do today as Stenson said, nothing more nothing less........Will be a fun week next week no matter, lot's of stories and potential excitement........

Reaction Score
Let's see how he does on the weekend. He's been great in rounds 1& 2 and something like +23 on weekend in last 7.

And even the Firestone only -2 on weekend, -13 first 2.

We'll see, Oak Hill is a course he can win on. Some he just can't with his streaky putting and awful driving game.

Just guessing there's no shot of Husky91 showing up again until Tiger only contends at the PGA.........he only shot 70 the last day so I thought we may hear from him so he coud say "see he can't break 70 on Sunday"....lol

The field was littered with all the top players.......but he can't win!!:eek:

Reaction Score
Let's see how he does on the weekend. He's been great in rounds 1& 2 and something like +23 on weekend in last 7.

We'll see, Oak Hill is a course he can win on. Some he just can't with his streaky putting and awful driving game.

Only you would come up with "only -2 on weekend" at Firestone........he won by 7 and didn't need to do anything but 2 putt all day and that was evident - how dare he shot -13 on the 1st 2 days - so many others did too!:eek: ........his 2 under on Saturday was a score that few matched because on moving day none of the top players moved except him. Get some things ironed out before you spew your Tiger hatred okay........

I will agree as much as I hate to, he needs to follow this up with another contending week at the PGA.

Reaction Score

You realize that with a 7 stroke lead entering the weekend he took a drastically more conservative approach to the golf course? He even said he was just trying to shoot -1 or -2 for the entire weekend. And his awful driving game found him in the top 10 for total driving for the tournament (and he was hitting driver more than he typically does).

Reaction Score
Haha Mau, I knew u'd love that. We'll have to see, assuming he has a strong start.

We won't know until Sat night and then after that.

Despite it, I root for Tiger, one of my favorite athletes, I'd like to see him break Jack and remove all arguments about greatest ever. Possible but not probable.

Only you would come up with "only -2 on weekend" at Firestone........he won by 7 and didn't need to do anything but 2 putt all day and that was evident - how dare he shot -13 on the 1st 2 days - so many others did too!:eek: ........his 2 under on Saturday was a score that few matched because on moving day none of the top players moved except him. Get some things ironed out before you spew your Tiger hatred okay........

I will agree as much as I hate to, he needs to follow this up with another contending week at the PGA.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'd bet the field vs. Tiger at the PGA. And every other major.

Reaction Score
Haha Mau, I knew u'd love that. We'll have to see, assuming he has a strong start.

We won't know until Sat night and then after that.

Despite it, I root for Tiger, one of my favorite athletes, I'd like to see him break Jack and remove all arguments about greatest ever. Possible but not probable.

Possible but not improbable.

Reaction Score
I'll never understand why pros can't put the ball down the center third of the fairway 90% of the time. If you're knocking it in the rough 50% of the time, take 5 or 10 yards off the swing and take the roll out instead of being 25 yards back in the tall grass. When I play regularly, I can hit 260 - 270 down the middle all day long. No reason for someone of Tigers strength not to be able to go 300-315 down the middle all day long. If you can hit a 5 iron 200 yards to the middle of the green, there aren't too many holes that hurt you going 300+ down the middle.

I think 90% is about right for pro golfers. It's judging the errant winds that causes the problem at times . In high-level tournament competition, and especially the majors, the wind dynamic often becomes a big part of the equation. In B-level golf courses, the wind is not a big factor at all.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
I think 90% is about right for pro golfers. It's judging the errant winds that causes the problem at times . In high-level tournament competition, and especially the majors, the wind dynamic often becomes a big part of the equation. In B-level golf courses, the wind is not a big factor at all.
90% accuracy with the driver? What kind of course are you playing? Your course has 150 yard wide fairways or something? These are the best players in the world, and the leader in driving accuracy is somewhere about 70 - 75%. That's like 10 out of 14 fairways and many of them are not using drivers off the tee to do that. The average pro on tour hits about 60% - 8 out of 10. Should these guys be hitting 90% greens in regualtion too??

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
90% accuracy with the driver? What kind of course are you playing? Your course has 150 yard wide fairways or something? These are the best players in the world, and the leader in driving accuracy is somewhere about 70 - 75%. That's like 10 out of 14 fairways and many of them are not using drivers off the tee to do that. The average pro on tour hits about 60% - 8 out of 10. Should these guys be hitting 90% greens in regualtion too??

These high level statistics are getting too complicated for me (note: I sort of, almost hate to be "that guy" who has to respond to this).

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

First of all, wind in CT or CA isn't different than wind in majors. They are pros. They practice with different wind conditions all the time. I can understand that sometimes when the wind is wicked for the Open Championship it has a significant effect. But the rest of the time - it's just wind. I can adjust for. They can too. Yes, I realize that public courses have wider fairways than majors, but they are freaking pros. I don't spend 4 or 6 or 8 hours a day practicing. When I played, it might be 4 or 5 rounds a week. And that wasn't on a practice tee. I simply don't understand any player who can practice driving 2 hours a day not being able to land the ball in 30 yard wide fairway all day long. It's weird. Obviously they don't but I think it's simply stupid not to take 5 or 10 yards off your effort to know you will be in a 15 yard window. If I practiced driving 2 hours a day for 3 months, I'd almost never miss a fairway. They shouldn't either.

Reaction Score
First of all, wind in CT or CA isn't different than wind in majors. They are pros. They practice with different wind conditions all the time. I can understand that sometimes when the wind is wicked for the Open Championship it has a significant effect. But the rest of the time - it's just wind. I can adjust for. They can too. Yes, I realize that public courses have wider fairways than majors, but they are freaking pros. I don't spend 4 or 6 or 8 hours a day practicing. When I played, it might be 4 or 5 rounds a week. And that wasn't on a practice tee. I simply don't understand any player who can practice driving 2 hours a day not being able to land the ball in 30 yard wide fairway all day long. It's weird. Obviously they don't but I think it's simply stupid not to take 5 or 10 yards off your effort to know you will be in a 15 yard window. If I practiced driving 2 hours a day for 3 months, I'd almost never miss a fairway. They shouldn't either.

Wow I want to be you!! I'm an okay player, never practice, drink beers almost always when I play, shoot in the 70's to low 80's worst almost always and hit about 6-8 fairways a round unless I'm playing Wintonbury............It's such a tough thing to repeat your swing and keep the rhythm required to just find the center, even for the most mechanical pro's.........thing is the one's who fin the fairway most often through the years aren't usually the one's who consistently impact the majors. They win one once in a while and seem to be in the hunt for a while but fade to the power. I find it amazing these power guys can hit 60-70% of those fairways when they are so tiny............and if they don't they know they're close enough to play out of the rough to make a par, hopefully won't catch a flier which could kill..........Oak Hills will teat them in a big way......

Reaction Score

Incorrect math about 60% as 8 of 10. It is not. It is 6 of 10, baby.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Wow I want to be you!! I'm an okay player, never practice, drink beers almost always when I play, shoot in the 70's to low 80's worst almost always and hit about 6-8 fairways a round unless I'm playing Wintonbury............It's such a tough thing to repeat your swing and keep the rhythm required to just find the center, even for the most mechanical pro's.........thing is the one's who fin the fairway most often through the years aren't usually the one's who consistently impact the majors. They win one once in a while and seem to be in the hunt for a while but fade to the power. I find it amazing these power guys can hit 60-70% of those fairways when they are so tiny............and if they don't they know they're close enough to play out of the rough to make a par, hopefully won't catch a flier which could kill..........Oak Hills will teat them in a big way......

I guess I was kind of fortunate that my dad put a club in my hand when I was 5. I guess that makes a difference. But most of the pros started when they were that young. Hit the ball in the fairway. It really isn't that difficult unless you are swing from the ass trying to get an extra 5 or 10 yards which makes no freakin difference when you can hit a 5 iron 200 yards.

Reaction Score
It is the same issue I have with certain Uconn players who have less than 50% accuracy on their free shots. I don't practice BB everyday but I can make at least 50% sporadically.

Reaction Score
I guess I was kind of fortunate that my dad put a club in my hand when I was 5. I guess that makes a difference. But most of the pros started when they were that young. Hit the ball in the fairway. It really isn't that difficult unless you are swing from the ass trying to get an extra 5 or 10 yards which makes no freakin difference when you can hit a 5 iron 200 yards.

Or just whacked every time you start with a little snapper off the first tee because you're old and tight and are trying to adjust for the next 3-4 drives - left, right, sort of right...middle!!! LOL

Reaction Score
It is the same issue I have with certain Uconn players who have less than 50% accuracy on their free shots. I don't practice BB everyday but I can make at least 50% sporadically.

What is sporadically? If you hit 50% on one of every 4 occasions and hit 25% on 3 of 4 occasions, your average is no where near 50% (I'm a little tired and had a few beers so I don't want to do the math), but you get the point. Sure I can hit 1 fairway out of 1 try and I'll be hitting 100%, but I might not another one for a month.

Reaction Score

The problem with the wind is that these guys are so damn accurate. They don't just hit a 5 iron 200 yards, they hit it 202 yards to a dead stop, playing for the speed and slope of the green, then have to factor in a 13 mph cross wind, no wait it just changed, now it's slightly in their face, but that's on the tee, it's entirely different 190 yards away. , I can hit a five iron anywhere from 10 yards if I shank one to 170-175 if I hit it perfect. These guys are trying to be within less than 1 yard of what they expect, and straight. If it were easy, all of us would quit our jobs and play on tour. But it's not easy, and they are the best of the best. Look at the difference between the Kia open in Dubuque, IA where the winning score is -20+ and a good open where it's around par.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure if you've ever played a major course or not but I played Olympic Club about a month after the US Open last year and it was incredibly hard to hit the fairway. I typically play at a 2-3 handicap and I shot 82 and felt great about the round. They were incredibly narrow and if you didn't work the ball into the slope of the fairway you were in the rough no matter how well you hit it.

Reaction Score
What is sporadically? If you hit 50% on one of every 4 occasions and hit 25% on 3 of 4 occasions, your average is no where near 50% (I'm a little tired and had a few beers so I don't want to do the math), but you get the point. Sure I can hit 1 fairway out of 1 try and I'll be hitting 100%, but I might not another one for a month.

Your comments made me laugh, thank you. It's a fair question you raised. Back in those days when I was a lot younger where I played basketball 3-5 times a week, I could regularly hit 70-75% FT. When I played sporadically, meaning about 2-3 times per month usually on Saturday afternoons (my condo is only 70 yards from an indoor basketball gym), I could manage at least 50% on, say, 100 attempts. So however you slice the math, I could make at least 50%. You don't have to teach college-level statistics and calculus to figure that. In mathematical statistics, there is a basic principle known as the law of large numbers - AKA the law of averages as we laymen call it in our lexicon.

I think the main problem with many college players in regards to foul shooting is in their confidence and coolness under fire. In the gym where players are free of all kinds of on-game pressure, they do pretty well with the FT, usually getting it above their on-game actual average. The glare of the lights, the taunting from fans, the manifold pressures of the game, the tiredness, the critical nature of the closing seconds at the foul line all put the player on the difficult hot spot which affects their concentration and only the mentally strong can deliver well and approximate their gym performance. I vividly remember how Ryan Boatright coolly sank three straight free throws at the closing seconds of that game against FSU in the Paradise Jam 2 years ago to put the game into OT - a game which the Huskies eventually won. Three straight ones from a mere freshman!!! I wonder if studies had been made comparing foul shooting in gym vs on game . Also, I remember Allen Iverson who never practiced but was always exceptionally great at FT shooting and whatever else he shot on. Juxtapose that with our Ray Allen who practices ever so intensely many, many minutes before every a real game. Either one is considered superb shooter - FT and what not.

In golf, I believe the closest parallel of end-game foul shooting where mental strength/focus is a huge factor is the putting - not so much the ball striking and distance to the fairways and farther up, although that is a big part of the golfer's arsenal of tools, too. For example, Tiger Woods did not three-put at all in his most recent victory. I believe he made only 2-3 bogeys in over 72 holes. I believe he was only ranked 4th in terms of putting the ball in the fairways (am not sure about these figures, btw, just vaguely recollecting them to drive a point).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom