OT: Thoughts on 2 cities sharing a sports team? | The Boneyard

OT: Thoughts on 2 cities sharing a sports team?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Looks like this is a real possibility for the Rays. Sharing 2 cities in different countries at that! I don’t know why they don’t just relocate to Charlotte or Nashville but I digress, what are your thoughts on this concept? I kind of hate it.

Reaction Score
Looks like this is a real possibility for the Rays. Sharing 2 cities in different countries at that! I don’t know why they don’t just relocate to Charlotte or Nashville but I digress, what are your thoughts on this concept? I kind of hate it.

So 2 cities that don’t care about baseball have the same team? Now there can be 2 empty stadiums.

Players association will never allow it. For guys that spend 50% of their time away from home, not including spring training, this would be horrible. It’s like playing 75% road games as u won’t be moving your family between cities. It’s a PR stunt to get st Pete to give them a new stadium. People in Fl care more about spring training than real baseball lol

Reaction Score
If I'm a player and have an interest in architecture, Montreal isn't a bad place to be in the summer/fall

LOL. If you're a player, Montreal is not a bad place to be but it's not because of the architecture. Stats showed the Expos had over the years one of the biggest differentials between home record and road record in the Majors. Locals attributed it to visitors enjoying the nightlife.

Reaction Score
As already mentioned, in addition to the short-sighted idea of sharing a baseball team between two cities which don't care about the game, there are tax ramifications to earning money out of the US, another concern the player's union will raise as a reason to not support this really bad idea. Baseball is a really popular sport in Florida for high schools and somewhat for colleges and there's always Spring training when most of the fans are visiting and not residents, but MLB is not a big deal here and never will be, the Rays and the Marlins should move someplace where the product they are trying to market is a sport locals enjoy and will support.

Reaction Score
I live one hour and 45 minutes from Montreal and love baseball. Very excited by this news.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Lousy idea for all the reasons mentioned. Nobody would want to play for that franchise. How do you buy a house or rent an apartment?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The demographic on this site must remember the Kansas City/Omaha Kings (Sacramento).

The dual city approach was pretty common in the ABA (pretty colored basketballs).

Reaction Score
Full name would be:

Tampontreal X-Rays

(Combination of “Expos” and “Rays”)

Reaction Score
There is no way two cities are going to build new ballparks for a part time team.

UconnU

Reaction Score
There is no way two cities are going to build new ballparks for a part time team.
I agree. But if it ever did happen it would be a baseball team. Half the games is still like 40+ games a year.

UconnU

Reaction Score
Stupidest idea I've ever heard. Would you root for a team that was only half yours?
Rays ownership has been terrible. Only sports team I’ve ever seen advertise for their opponents more than themselves in their home market. “Come watch your beloved Yankees play this weekend in Tampa!” Now they want to share their team with another city. Imagine being a fan of a team like this?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Rays ownership has been terrible. Only sports team I’ve ever seen advertise for their opponents more than themselves in their home market. “Come watch your beloved Yankees play this weekend in Tampa!” Now they want to share their team with another city. Imagine being a fan of a team like this?

They have the best ownership group in MLB. The Mets crapped themselves not stealing Bloom.

43-31. Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I’m not sure Tampa is a pro sports city. I went to a Bucs Saints game a while back and there were probably as many Saints fans as Bucs fans. The guy directly in front of me was wearing a Chase Daniel Saints jersey which still cracks me up when I think about it

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tampa has the whole team now and doesn't care.

They might have to bring a third city in on this one.

St Pete is right by Tampa Bay. Could be a solid choice as a third. Tampa/St Pete/Montreal.

Reaction Score
Tampa has the whole team now and doesn't care.

They might have to bring a third city in on this one.
Governor Rowland always called Waterbury the center of the universe. I feel like the center of the universe deserves a third of a MLB team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom