OT: The return of Duke's Maggette | The Boneyard

OT: The return of Duke's Maggette

Reaction Score
The political fiasco that is decimating Virginia politicians left and right has dragged out an old story. The woman accusing Virginia Lt. Gov. Justin Fairfax of s@xual assault earlier in the week stated she was also assaulted by a Duke basketball player back in the 1990's. Well, it came out today that the player is Corey Maggette. Of course, Coach K has already stated that this is the first he has heard of such and that Duke will investigate. Guess Coach K doesn't go on the internet much as the 'rumors' of Maggette's on-campus behavior have been circulating for years, even on the Boneyard.

Report: Maggette accused of rape in Duke case

Last edited:
Reaction Score
More than any previous player, Maggette was seemingly pushed out the door at Duke. Everybody thought it was baggage associated with the Myron Pigge AAU situation, but apparently there may be some on campus stuff also. If this truly went to a Dean as the woman indicated then Duke will have some explaining to do. He was their first 1 and done with the next one being 5 years later.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
More than any previous player, Maggette was seemingly pushed out the door at Duke. Everybody thought it was baggage associated with the Myron Pigge AAU situation, but apparently there may be some on campus stuff also. If this truly went to a Dean as the woman indicated then Duke will have some explaining to do. He was their first 1 and done with the next one being 5 years later.

Duke is and always has been just as dirty as the rest of MCBB. The media's lionization of that school is pathetic.

Reaction Score
No, they were just the "best team ever."

So they were, at least according to our friends at ESPN.

We flew into Jacksonville on game day and during the drive to St. Petersburg we listened to ESPN radio for several hours and all we heard was praise such as "Duke's second team would likely win the championship."

Meanwhile, I'm going over in my mind what our schedule looked like compared to theirs and there was nothing there to indicate Duke should be favored. In fact, in games with our one common opponent, we both beat St. John's by four at the garden. They lost to Cincinnati in the Great Alaska Shootout and we lost a flukey game to Miami by two at Gampel, a game in which we missed a lot of easy shots in the first half, and had a bad loss to Syracuse in a game I think Hamilton and Voskuhl were out with injuries.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Meanwhile, I'm going over in my mind what our schedule looked like compared to theirs and there was nothing there to indicate Duke should be favored. In fact, in games with our one common opponent, we both beat St. John's by four at the garden.

Close, but we both played Fairfield on home courts and Duke prevailed 98-66, while UConn won at Gampel 102-67.

Additionally, UConn beat Michigan State 82-68 at Gampel, While Duke had two 6-point victories 73-67 at United Center Great *, and 68-62 in the NCAA Semis. So, it's larger margin in one game at home vs. two victories totaling smaller marin, both on neutral courts. The details, I have to look up, but knowing that we fared better against common opponents remains..

Reaction Score
Close, but we both played Fairfield on home courts and Duke prevailed 98-66, while UConn won at Gampel 102-67.

Additionally, UConn beat Michigan State 82-68 at Gampel, While Duke had two 6-point victories 73-67 at United Center Great *, and 68-62 in the NCAA Semis. So, it's larger margin in one game at home vs. two victories totaling smaller marin, both on neutral courts. The details, I have to look up, but knowing that we fared better against common opponents remains..

It's the only time I've ever won a big NCAA pool. I went into the final game in like 8th place. Everyone above me had Duke (except my coworker who picked Lafayette because the judge she worked for went there. She got just about every other pick right with no knowledge other than "where my friends went" and still came in 3rd when Duke lost). When filling out my pool I went through the same analysis. I totally wrote off the UConn losses (Miami used to have our number, and we had injuries for rival Syracuse). I was inexplicably confident considering our lack of national championship success at that time. I won like $1,500 which was HUGE for a law clerk.

Maggette's name will get muddied, but nothing will happen to him (not sure of NC statue of limitation rules on rape). I'm sure the Duke administrators of the time are gone now, so this won't go anywhere in my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We were better than Duke in '99 and would have beaten them 7 out of 10. We had the best player in Rip and we had two guys Rip and Khalid who you want creating the last shot over anyone on their team.

Reaction Score
It's the only time I've ever one a big NCAA pool. I went into the final game in like 8th place. Everyone above me had Duke (except my coworker who picked Lafayette because the judge she worked for went there. She got just about every other pick right with no knowledge other than "where my friends went" and still came in 3rd when Duke lost). When filling out my pool I went through the same analysis. I totally wrote off the UConn losses (Miami used to have our number, and we had injuries for rival Syracuse). I was inexplicably confident considering our lack of national championship success at that time. I won like $1,500 which was HUGE for a law clerk.

Maggette's name will get muddied, but nothing will happen to him (not sure of NC statue of limitation rules on rape). I'm sure the Duke administrators of the time are gone now, so this won't go anywhere in my opinion.

I won a pool at the Customer Service place I worked at, paid for my trip to Disney with my girlfriend at the time.

As for the season itself, UConn always had issues with Miami for some reason. Providence was another team that drove the Huskies nuts no matter what each team's record was. That said, UConn could have won every Big East game and played a dozen teams in the Top 25 and beaten each team at their court and Dickie V and ESPN would have still declared Duke the best in advance.

Reaction Score

Thanks, I guess I need to do better staff work going forward!
But, it does reassure me I wasn't bent out of shape for no good reason.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

There is one administrator still there, who of course knew absolutely nothing about this...

Reaction Score
The rumors were that whole starting 5 at least were driving around in brand new SUVs while there.

Did Jake borrow one once? :oops:

Reaction Score
I
It's the only time I've ever won a big NCAA pool. I went into the final game in like 8th place. Everyone above me had Duke (except my coworker who picked Lafayette because the judge she worked for went there. She got just about every other pick right with no knowledge other than "where my friends went" and still came in 3rd when Duke lost). When filling out my pool I went through the same analysis. I totally wrote off the UConn losses (Miami used to have our number, and we had injuries for rival Syracuse). I was inexplicably confident considering our lack of national championship success at that time. I won like $1,500 which was HUGE for a law clerk.

I actually did win $2000 in a pool. I had the final score 75-74. Khalid goes to the line with 5.2 seconds to go I turn to my brother sitting next to me in The Tropicana Dome and scream do I want him to make the free throws? I said f... the pool please make them! The rest is history and I still won the pool. Easily third happiest moment of my life and I have two children. My ex wife did not think much of that comment. Maybe that’s why she is my EX wife. She never did get it. What a night that was. March 29, 1999 11:18 PM to be exact. Man I love my Huskies.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I won that year as well. Betting UConn has been berry berry good for CL82.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom