OT: The Problem With Sports | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The Problem With Sports

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
5-1 baseball game took 4 hours and 4 minutes tonight. Again how does the sports television economy survive without the cable bundle?

If the Cubs weren't playing they would end up 10% off all the time WS lows.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
My suggestions.

Football

1. Start the game clock 10 seconds after an incomplete pass or out of bounds, even under 2 minutes to go.
2. No two minute warning.
3. Must wait at least one minute of game time between time outs.
4. Broadcasting network must pay fine of $1 million each time camera is panned on Rex Ryan, Bill Belichek, Odell Beckham, Jr., among others.

Basketball

1. Must wait at least one minute of game time between time outs.
2. When there is less than two minutes left, the team that is fouled has the option of having ten seconds taken off the clock.
3. Fouls need to be called on merit, and not depend on star status.
4. Go back to calling the team from Ohio the "Cleveland Cavaliers," not "LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers."

Hockey

Not too many complaints here. Yes, 20 minutes between periods can be a pain, but it seems that too many times, 20 minutes can go by between plays in baseball and football. Flopping/embellishment is an issue, of course, and will be addressed in soccer.

Baseball

1. No more than one pitching change in the middle of the inning.
2. No more than one conference between pitcher and catcher per inning.
3. If the catcher has to move his mitt to try to convince the umpire the pitch is a strike, it's an automatic ball.
4. Any team for any game has the option of having the DH.

Soccer

1. Significantly reduce the gross corruption and favortism in and around the game.
2. To reduce flopping, no foul should be called unless ref actually sees a foul.
3. If a player somehow gets hurt via incidental or no contact, player must submit to a protocol similar to concussions, which would have to include missing competitions for whatever appropriate time is needed to completely eliminate any strategic advantage of flopping. This rule can apply to all sports.

You can fix every problem with college basketball in one rule change.

The double bonus is one free throw and the ball.

So long endless end game. That would get 90+% of the games that end without overtime finished within 2:10.

The way to fix baseball would never happen but all you have to do is reduce the rosters from 25 to 23. That eliminates 12 man bullpens and that eliminates 3 pitching changes a game. It also forces teams to field a roster of players who can both run and play defense - which are all more entertaining than DHs trying to not hit into the shift.

jrazz12

BEast mode
Reaction Score
12:35 am for an east coast game that hasn't gone to extra innings yet.

This is why the EPL and USMNT grows. They get the games in at 2 hours.

Was going to make the same comment about soccer when I read your OP. I think that's why you're seeing it become more popular here as other sports drag on and on longer. That will always be 46 on, bathroom break/kitchen run, and another 48.

Weren't you saying somewhere the other day about NFL ratings being down not necessarily by the amount of viewers but because of the amount of time spent watching? That it looked like people were giving up on the games?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Non-Sunday NFL and Non-Saturday NCAA is down. I thought I read that normal days and times are either even are slightly ahead. Beyond that, you'll see the NFL ratings decrease the more those in the Commissioner's office keep sitting on their collective d!<ks.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Was going to make the same comment about soccer when I read your OP. I think that's why you're seeing it become more popular here as other sports drag on and on longer. That will always be 46 on, bathroom break/kitchen run, and another 48.

Weren't you saying somewhere the other day about NFL ratings being down not necessarily by the amount of viewers but because of the amount of time spent watching? That it looked like people were giving up on the games?

As of a couple of weeks ago that was what the NFL data showed. Unique viewers up, average length of viewing down. Since the ratings are a measure of average viewers it's down net.

Reaction Score
Move out West. Football starts at 9 a.m., done by 9p.m. Will never interfere with Sunday night TV. Beautiful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom