OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread | The Boneyard

OT: The Official Soup, Bread, and Cheese Thread

Reaction Score
All things soup here. Your recipes. Your favorite spots. Maybe throw in a stew discussion?

I'll start it with this. My mom swore by making her chicken soup with a chicken from Crown Market in West Hartford. She said the "Jew chickens made the best soup". I don't get my chicken there and my soup isn't nearly as good as hers. Hard to argue. Maybe I'll swing by this weekend.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
1549590779547.jpeg

Reaction Score
I like making my own soups. At most restaurants they are an afterthought.

I've gone all out and made my own chicken stock from scratch to make chicken noodle soup. It's no better than just buying premade stock. I suppose it's good in that you can better control the sodium but taste wise its not different.

I generally like to make chicken noodle, lentil, split pea w/ham, black bean w/ham, potato/sausage/kale, clam chowder, minestrone, pasta e fagioli, and italian wedding soup.

Soup served with crusty bread is a most satisfying meal.

Reaction Score
I suppose my favorite restaurant made soup, and probably one of my favorite restaurant bought meals in general would be the beef pho from the Vietnam Restaurant in West Hartford.

I've always wanted to make it myself, but it feels like you absolutely have to get the broth right, and looking at recipes online I think it would be too involved to be worthwhile.

Reaction Score
Manhattan clam chowder is the best clam chowder.
Although I think the rest of the restaurant is trash (what better way to ruin seafood than to batter and fry it? I only ever get their shrimp), the chowder at Lenny and Joe's is probably my favorite.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The hands-down soup winner in CT is Chef’s Table in Fairfield, which has something like six to eight great homemade soups every day.

Thyme & Season in Hamden also has six homemade choices every day, but since they have to have some vegan, some GF, etc., usually only a couple appeal to me.

Claire’s Corner Copia in New Haven always has a few good soups, but all vegetarian.

Whole Enchilada (several locations) also has several good soups every day.

Tikkaway in New Haven has an always-reliable Mulligatawny soup.

Wethersfield Pizza has the best restaurant minestrone I’ve ever had, but I think it’s only available November through March.

The soup du jour at Union League is almost always worth getting if you are there for lunch.

And of course there is Mecha in New Haven and Fairfield (and elsewhere I think?) for the Asian noodle soup universe, which is really a whole ‘nother thing.

Reaction Score
It’s the Corona of soups for me; i.e., one of very few I actively dislike. And I love clam chowder. Especially Rhode Island.

I’ll put RI chowder a close second and NE third. Perhaps I’ve just had too much bad New England chowder.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I’ll put RI chowder a close second and NE third. Perhaps I’ve just had too much bad New England chowder.
I used to love New England clam chowder and I still love the taste of it, but my stomach can’t take a bowl of hot cream anymore. I think I must have drank my lifetime’s worth of lactose by the time I graduated college.

Donahue’s and Clam Castle in Madison have the best Rhode Island and New England chowders I’ve had in a long time. Madison Beach Hotel also has a great New England clam chowder, but their prices for everything are pretty ridiculous.

Reaction Score
I used to love New England clam chowder and I still love the taste of it, but my stomach can’t take a bowl of hot cream anymore. I think I must have drank my lifetime’s worth of lactose by the time I graduated college.

Donahue’s and Clam Castle in Madison have the best Rhode Island and New England chowders I’ve had in a long time. Madison Beach Hotel also has a great New England clam chowder, but their prices for everything are pretty ridiculous.

Lactose intolerance comes and goes. Try again this summer and it may be gone. Or you will just paint the town brown.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Lactose intolerance comes and goes. Try again this summer and it may be gone. Or you will just paint the town brown.
Like beer, it’s almost Pavlovian for me now; I begin to feel discomfort just thinking about it.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Although I think the rest of the restaurant is trash (what better way to ruin seafood than to batter and fry it? I only ever get their shrimp), the chowder at Lenny and Joe's is probably my favorite.

Salt and Pepper squid is great. There's also some good fried clam shops in MA. But mostly, I agree.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom