OT - The mess at Houston | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - The mess at Houston

Reaction Score
Money talks, as always. Potentially, that’s multi-generational life changing right there.
FIFY Still life changing, but Holgerson gets out of Appalachia to better recruiting grounds and may blow a bunch on hookers and blow and/or donate most of it to someone other than family. Good to have choices! I jest a bit.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Why would Holgerson a coach at a P5 school, take a coaching job at a G5 school? I wouldn't...

Rumors on the Pitt board suggest a move was necessary because Dana is no longer welcome in bars in WV and the odds of a DUI are lower in Houston as there are far more Uber/Lyft drivers.

Reaction Score
Rumors on the Pitt board suggest a move was necessary because Dana is no longer welcome in bars in WV and the odds of a DUI are lower in Houston as there are far more Uber/Lyft drivers.

Lol. You ever been to Morgantown? Everyone is welcome in bars. This is about a big contract, his love of Texas, the home he owns there and easy recruiting. Houston is a great job. Sooner or later other people will realize P5 isn’t everything. It’s become pretty obvious that Houston is an easy job. That’s why 8-4 isn’t acceptable. (That pressure is what makes it a challenge)

This is like Hurley realizing UConn is a great job. If the school will pay you, has the facilities, is located in a hotbed for players and you like the area, you don’t need much else.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Lol. You ever been to Morgantown? Everyone is welcome in bars. This is about a big contract, his love of Texas, the home he owns there and easy recruiting. Houston is a great job. Sooner or later other people will realize P5 isn’t everything. It’s become pretty obvious that Houston is an easy job. That’s why 8-4 isn’t acceptable. (That pressure is what makes it a challenge)

This is like Hurley realizing UConn is a great job. If the school will pay you, has the facilities, is located in a hotbed for players and you like the area, you don’t need much else.

As you're defending Morgantown, have to ask if the "Hoop" in Hoophound is short for "hoopie"?

Yeah, I'm learning how to become a proper Pittsburgher, lol.

I'll note you have good, logical points, but I'll also leave you with this Deadspin report. And a more sober reporting of similar. The guy has a problem that goes back at least as far as his last stint with Houston. Hopefully he's dealing with it.

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Houston officially put its big boys and girls pants on. Sampson hoops coach. Holgerson football coach. A very impressive athletic department for sure. Really wish that this kind of stuff happened here at UConn. Now UConn fans have to cross their fingers and toes that CR stays very quiet for the next 5 years.

Reaction Score
Houston officially put its big boys and girls pants on. Sampson hoops coach. Holgerson football coach. A very impressive athletic department for sure. Really wish that this kind of stuff happened here at UConn. Now UConn fans have to cross their fingers and toes that CR stays very quiet for the next 5 years.
That also implies that Edsall 2.0 is successful going forward making this thing cruising along on auto-pilot again.

Reaction Score
Per the same data set football also generated almost $26m ($25,936,445) in 2016.

(Revenues are revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities. This includes revenues from appearance guarantees and options, an athletic conference, tournament or bowl games, concessions, contributions from alumni and others, institutional support, program advertising and sales, radio and television, royalties, signage and other sponsorships, sports camps, state or other government support, student activity fees, ticket and luxury box sales, and any other revenues attributable to intercollegiate athletic activities.)
Is that the same data set that shows a 20% decrease in Earned Revenue and a 500% increase in subsidy to the AD between 2011 and 2017? That is simply unsustainable.

What I want to see is the current Earned Revenue and Expenditures for the football team only.

Reaction Score
Is that the same data set that shows a 20% decrease in Earned Revenue and a 500% increase in subsidy to the AD between 2011 and 2017? That is simply unsustainable.

What I want to see is the current Earned Revenue and Expenditures for the football team only.

That data above is for the football team only - it’s what’s currently available online.

Is this the other data (page 2) you are trying to refer to? https://senate.uconn.edu/wp-content...Senate-UBC-Report-on-AD-Subsidy-to-Senate.pdf

AA0BBB6C-E1FC-435A-8161-DBBC5027649D.png

Dooley

Reaction Score
I doubt UConn pays the entire football coaching staff $4M/yr. We probably are nowhere close to that which is mind boggling given the fact that UConn has the largest - BY FAR - athletic department expense in the entire G5.

Reaction Score
That data above is for the football team only - it’s what’s currently available online.
And as previously mentioned is Total Revenue not Earned Revenue. The former includes subsides the latter does not.

Reaction Score
Thamel is a . He always laughs in the corners with the supposed blue bloods, (as if Syracuse is in that club...).

Houston may be or appear to be psychotic in their standards, but they are transparent about it. Who cares if the Big 12 is laughing? The nation has been laughing at the Big 12 for years. D H brings a brand of football with him a staff that will already know what the heck it is doing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Is this the other data (page 2) you are trying to refer to? https://senate.uconn.edu/wp-content...Senate-UBC-Report-on-AD-Subsidy-to-Senate.pdf

View attachment 37856

This is very interesting. What year did the Big East money stop coming in?

If Football even remotely gets it’s game together that blue represents a major opportunity for improvement. Spending bigger money on a Football Staff that can recruit and coach well is sound investment in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Pete Thamel - uber Root Fanboy of Syracuse - is dismissive of the University of Houston.

In the great arc of Conference Realignment, neither BC, Syracuse, Louisville, TCU or Pitt ... really ... are the Best Strategic Plan for a ProStructure = which is my view of where the P5 has gone. Syracuse is a piss-ant town that Institutional Lenders avoid and the academics are a myth. Elon and Davidson types draw more affluent Greater NYC suburban kids these days than the Proportion SU used to get.

They play in antiquated mausoleum Carrier Dome - with NO NYS grants or infrastructure aid available in any foreseeable political climate. FanBase? That push for being NYC team? BC has similarly gone to their hole. But the P5 conference label has saved them; floated them.

WE - UConn - have a far more expansive potential as a State U if we had the P5. We did not get it because Louisville pumped fraudulent muni money into glitz facilities and cheater coaches; and Rutgers had a simple land comparative advantage. Etc.

Looking down your nose at Houston (particularly his mystery B12 source) is silly. They should work every angle. That is what BC did. And the stink did not last that long.

In a much bigger sense, this is just like when Edsall took flak for cancelling a scholarship in January. Journalists like Thamel will always be quick to criticize the smaller programs for making controversial moves to better themselves.

On the flip side they will always label similar moves by teams in power conferences as “bold” or even “revolutionary”.

It’s not like they are paying Greg Schiano 20M. Houston is making an intentional decision to buy a brand of football that has worked at another school with institutional and geographic barriers.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Houston may be or appear to be psychotic in their standards, but they are transparent about it. Who cares if the Big 12 is laughing? The nation has been laughing at the Big 12 for years. Dan Hurley brings a brand of football with him a staff that will already know what the heck it is doing.

I've had a couple of beers already watching this game, but I wasn't expecting a 2xIPA to deliver me to an alternate universe.

(obviously you're not part of baseball discussions otherwise you'd know about the "dee aitch" default)

Reaction Score
Someone please tell us all again how dropping the UConn program down to FCS or abolishing it altogether would be financially irresponsible.
Because if we did that, let's drop ALL SPORTS...we can't drop football or drop it to FCS. Should we tear down the Rent, because UConn won't play in it. It would be sitting empty.

RSTuthill, we can't go FCS or drop football. Football is driving the bus...

Dooley

Reaction Score
All that blue that medic highlighted is earned revenue: $40.9M in 2017. We were absolutely awful in 2017. If/when the day comes that UConn gets more money from TV - either in the AAC or as a P5 conference member - all that orange also turns blue. That is self-sustaining AD money folks. That is why we root for all UConn sports, including football, to improve and not to drop the biggest revenue stream. If we want UConn hoops to continue to thrive, we need some of that orange to turn blue. We don't need to get rid of the blue. I really don't understand why we continue to have this discussion over and over and over again.

Reaction Score
As you're defending Morgantown, have to ask if the "Hoop" in Hoophound is short for "hoopie"?

Ha. I had to google “hoopie”. No, I’m not a hoopie. I just know Motown loves to party and is very inclusive about it. My acquaintances that went to WVU over the years were all partiers.

I have a couple good friends from West Virginia that are among the most fun, heavy drinking, joking and laughing people I’ve ever met. They love a good time yet they are wildly successful and professional most weekdays. They are also really accepting as are all of their WV friends and relatives I’ve had the fortune of hanging out with. Holgorsen couldn’t offend that group. They’d let him go till he dropped and throw him in a bed for the night.

Aside from all of that, most of his shenanigans were 6-8 years ago. I haven’t heard much about his issues in years. I think he realized it was just time to move on. WVU is kind of tough to win at in the B12 and UH was rolling out the red carpet, has tons of recruits and a BIG PLUS—he has a home there and likes it. He’s just done with WVU. The other stories are likely just sour grapes.

Reaction Score
RSTuthill, we can't go FCS or drop football. Football is driving the bus...
I am cettainly willing to listen and understand your point. But lets talk about WHERE FB is driving the bus to. I have not seen a financial model which compares the possible scenarios.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom