OT: The last food thread (perhaps) - Italian | The Boneyard

OT: The last food thread (perhaps) - Italian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Recommendations? looking for spaghetti/meatballs like mama used to make.

Where to go in CT? I'm in Fairfield County but will travel for a good 'real deal' Italian meal (no pizza).

Reaction Score
I love Roseland in Derby
The family was from the same area in Italy as my Grand Parents.
So its almost home cooking for me
The best Italian bread around.

Reaction Score
Spaghetti??? Sad state, you are.

But if you insist, the best s&m is in Saybrook at Fiore in a strip mall off Main St next to the AAA office. Battle tested by REAL Brooklyn Italians!

ps - no tux needed.

pps - NYC or Brooklyn is another story.

Reaction Score

Where to go in CT? I'm in Fairfield County but will travel for a good 'real deal' Italian meal (no pizza).

Never had a bad "classic" meal (or otherwise) @ either Vazzy's (Monroe/Shelton).

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

Your own kitchen - only way to do it.

I'll give you a recipe if you need one - passed down from my mother to me. She got it from my Dads grandmother who came from 'the old country.'

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Your own kitchen - only way to do it.

I'll give you a recipe if you need one - passed down from my mother to me. She got it from my Dads grandmother who came from 'the old country.'
Apparently, the only real Italians come out of NYC. CT traditionally has the highest percentage by population of Italian heritage, but hey, it ain't da Bronx.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Spaghetti??? Sad state, you are.

But if you insist, the best s&m is in Saybrook at Fiore in a strip mall off Main St next to the AAA office. Battle tested by REAL Brooklyn Italians!

ps - no tux needed.

pps - NYC or Brooklyn is another story.

In New York Arthur Ave in the Bronx beats all for Italian food.

Reaction Score
L'Oricio in New Haven.

I'd second L'Orcio. Don't know if they have spaghetti and meatballs, but Basta is pretty good too. Has a real North End of Boston feel.

Both are in New Haven. And, btw, New Haven has one of the state's best restaurant weeks - starts this Sunday.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I love L'Orcio (ate there again just yesterday) and recommend it highly, but I wouldn't consider it a classic spaghetti-and-meatballs-like mom-used-to-make kind of place. They do occasionally have a meatball appetizer that is very good, and all their pastas are excellent (especially his pappardelle with ragu), but it's not a red sauce Italian place.

If that's what you're after, I think your best bet is probably Ralph-n-Rich's in Bridgeport or Campania in Branford. If you do Campania, their signature dish is Sunday Sauce with braciole, sausage and meatballs over rigatoni. That's what I crave when I get a hankering like the one you've described.

Reaction Score
There is a place called Francessca's in Coventry that opened up down the road from Bidwell. It is up there with the best Italian food I have had in the state. It's a small hole in the wall and it's just one guy doing all the cooking. It's a hidden gem right now but it is starting to gain a lot of popularity.

Reaction Score
Carmine's in NYC. Excellent! Probably the best meatballs I ever had!

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Casa Mia or Carbones on Franklin Ave in Hartford have always had nice reputations. Haven't been to Carbone's recently can anybody confirm it's still Top Notch?

Reaction Score
In New York Arthur Ave in the Bronx beats all for Italian food.

1. Highly doubtful, from what I've heard, that it beats Brooklyn. But I'll give it a try. Perhaps tmrw. Got a specific rcmd? Looking for a place where the locals eat - no over-rated glitsania or TTs.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Dominic's and Mario's are both excellent. There are a handful of other places (small, family joints) that are pretty good as well (can't think of any specific one at the moment). If you hit either of the two I mentioned you won't be disappointed.

Note - on the small family joints, as surprising as it may seem this day and age you will need to bring cash as few take credit cards.

Reaction Score

1. [ ]Highly doubtful, from what I've heard, that it beats Brooklyn. But I'll give it a try. Perhaps tmrw. Got a specific rcmd? Looking for a place where the locals eat - no over-rated glitsania or TTs.

Have you tried Marco's yet, the new one in Prospect Heights? I was thinking of hitting it after the Maryland game on Friday.

Reaction Score
Dominic's and Mario's are both excellent. There are a handful of other places (small, family joints) that are pretty good as well (can't think of any specific one at the moment). If you hit either of the two I mentioned you won't be disappointed.

Note - on the small family joints, as surprising as it may seem this day and age you will need to bring cash as few take credit cards.[/quote

Sounds good. Is this a lock-n-load area??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilson

Top Bottom