OT: The Jimmer era nears an end | The Boneyard

OT: The Jimmer era nears an end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Sad day.
Nothing really against him; it's not his fault he won all the awards Kemba deserved.
Still, a reminder of the idiocy of teams drafting players on the expectations that they'll be fan favorites, as was reported with this guy. It's not going to work out unless the player is, you know, good. You expect fans to show up and cheer a guy on the bench?

Reaction Score
He'll get picked up by someone and get spot minutes off the bench. He shoots 50% from three.

Reaction Score
hes a good player. at the time he got drafted to SAC, honestly cant think of a more toxic sports franchise. knicks gotta sign him and immediately start him @ the 1.

Reaction Score
hes a good player. at the time he got drafted to SAC, honestly cant think of a more toxic sports franchise. knicks gotta sign him and immediately start him @ the 1.

He can't be a starter. He does one thing really well, some other things passably, and most things poorly.

Reaction Score
He can't be a starter. He does one thing really well, some other things passably, and most things poorly.
true, very poor defender. but what about that felton guy? hes pretty piss poor at everything. even not as a starter, get him to ny as some sideshow to their horrific season.

Reaction Score
true, very poor defender. but what about that felton guy? hes pretty piss poor at everything. even not as a starter, get him to ny as some sideshow to their horrific season.

Felton getting this much burn is inexplicable and simply a result of coaching incompetence IMO. True, worst players than Jimmer get starting minutes (Felton) but this doesn't mean Jimmer should start. I think his efficiency would plummet with more responsibilities but I do think he can be good heat-check player for many teams. He should aspire to have an Eddie House like career.

Great avatar btw.

Reaction Score
He's as poor of a defender as there is in the NBA. He can't really pass or dribble either leaving him as just a shooter - which is pretty much what everyone knew he was.

Reaction Score
Speaking of players who beat Kemba out for player of the year awards, what's Ben Hansbrough up to these days?

I bet if you asked a bunch of college basketball fans (not UConn or ND fans) 90% of them wouldn't be able to tell you Ben Hansbrough was the Big East Player of the Year in 2011. Most would probably guess Kemba.

Reaction Score
This is a joke right? The only thing he can do at the NBA level is shoot, he's a good shooter but at 6'1 it doesn't really matter.

Reaction Score
He'll get picked up. His camp wouldn't be pushing the buyout if they didn't have interest from somebody.

Reaction Score
If you can shoot like he can, you will be employed for a long time coming. He will be in the league for a while collecting dem checks.

Reaction Score
Jimmer is version 2 of Adam Morrison. A good shooter who could do nothing else. I think Morrison lasted about 3 years in the NBA.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Erm, you seriously talked about "can't think of a more toxic sports franchise" , THEN brought the knicks into it? This didn't strike you as odd? :)

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Speaking of players who beat Kemba out for player of the year awards, what's Ben Hansbrough up to these days?

I bet if you asked a bunch of college basketball fans (not UConn or ND fans) 90% of them wouldn't be able to tell you Ben Hansbrough was the Big East Player of the Year in 2011. Most would probably guess Kemba.
I just learned recently that he won the award over kemba. I didn't believe it, and was forced to look it up. Wow

Reaction Score
Ben Hansbrough plays for CB Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands, not much else needs to be said about that....

As for Jimmer it would be easy to compare him to Adam Morrison except Adam Morrison was 6'8". Adam Morrison blew his knee out and as a result lost any athleticism he might have had.

Jimmer for me on the Kings will most be remembered for the owner putting out that challenge for if any students at UCSB can beat the Jimmer, or a few other kings at a 3 point contest they get a free ticket in the owners box. Chris Mullin Shows up and destroys it....

I know this has been posted on here before but it is definitely worth repeating.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...during-3-point-contest--video--133942047.html

Reaction Score
Jimmer is version 2 of Adam Morrison. A good shooter who could do nothing else. I think Morrison lasted about 3 years in the NBA.

I was just about to post this

Reaction Score
Jameer Nelson of the power house program that is St Josephs won player of the year over Okafor in 2004, so that tells you something about the voting process.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score

I think 90% of them wouldn't even know or remember who Ben Hansbrough was.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Adam Morrison's problems were from the neck up. Athletically he was nothing special, but serviceable. His rookie year numbers were solid and he could have developed into a productive 3 if he had not gotten hurt. Fredette seemed like a long shot from the start, and is not nearly the athlete that Morrison was. Fredette doesn't have any vertical, and is painfully slow. He is a physical guard that could get his shot off against second tier defenders but is best off being a spot up shooter.

I am surprised that he is going into coaching, because I thought the scuttlebutt on Morrison was that he didn't work that hard.

Reaction Score
Umm Morrison was never a good shooter, what they have in common is playing for smaller schools against weaker competition and of course being white.

Morrison was a scorer and a classic example of a guy who could beat college level defenders but not pro's. Jimmer can shoot and like others I think he's got a good chance for a Kyle Korver-like NBA existence. You can exist in the NBA with just one super skill if that skill is in demand. I don't feel any need to hate him because he got an award over a UConn guy, he didn't have a vote.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Jameer Nelson of the power house program that is St Josephs won player of the year over Okafor in 2004, so that tells you something about the voting process.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. Clearly I didn't agree at the time but I don't think what school you play for should factor into player of the year voting. If anything, it tells me that the voting process is free from bias.

If you're making a commentary of the players they've become SINCE college... besides the fact that they are completely different players, both have had productive NBA careers. Jameer has averaged 12.6ppg, 5.3apg and 3.1rpg for his career. He's 9th in the NBA this year in assists at 6.7. He was selected to the All-Star team in 2009. Emeka is at 12.3ppg, 9.9rpg and 1.7bpg for his career.

Reaction Score

I'm not sure what your point is. It's not as if Okafor's gone on to have a better career, and Nelson's team was 27-0 the year he won it.

Reaction Score
Meanwhile Kemba (along with Big Al) have done about a 180 with the Bobcats and just won Eastern conference player of the week.

Reaction Score
Okafor was a much more dominant college player than Jameer Nelson but it's a cute media story when St. Joe's goes 27-0 and in the regular season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom