3. St. Joe’s
  4. Darien
  5. Hand
  6. Shelton
  7. Windsor
  8. East Hartford
  9. Killingly
  10. Naugatuck
Others receiving votes: Bloomfield (802), 265; Berlin (9-3), 242; Southington (8-20, 232; Ansonia (12-1), 229; Newtown (7-3), 172; Fitch (10-1), 156; Fairfield Prep (8-3), 116; West Haven (9-3), 77; Maloney (9-2), 74; North Haven (8-3), 73; Ridgefield (7-3), 66; Masuk (12-1), 60; Middletown (10-1), 44; Barlow (9-4), 27; Sheehan (9-2), 26; Rocky Hill (11-1), 21; Cromwell/Portland (8-2), 14; Brookfield (4-6), 14; South Windsor (10-2), 14; Stafford/Somers/East Windsor (10-2), 8; Bristol Eastern (2-8), 7; Cheshire (6-4) 7.

Reaction Score
Wow. 4 FCIAC schools at the top. I think Darien will take a step back this year.
Shelton should be in contention. Hand has an easy schedule. Sheehan & Bloomfield should be ranked.

Reaction Score
Wow. 4 FCIAC schools at the top. I think Darien will take a step back this year.
Shelton should be in contention. Hand has an easy schedule. Sheehan & Bloomfield should be ranked.
I don't see Sheehan being as good as everyone says they are. They got rocked by a mediocre Barlow team last year and barely held on to beat a bad Weston team. All hype unless they have some strong newcomers

Naugatuck ranked in the top 10 is crazy. Even if they end up doing well there is no reason to vote them in. they haven't earned it

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Shelton and Naugatuck keeping Valley football strong. Ripper!

Reaction Score
Well.....that was fun while it lasted. Pyne struggled (again) and NC's offensive line was a no show. SJ dominated on both sides. Summers got off to a bad start but made plays in the second half when he needed to.

Reaction Score
I guess having four D1 recruits doesn't mean much. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well.....that was fun while it lasted. Pyne struggled (again) and NC's offensive line was a no show. SJ dominated on both sides. Summers got off to a bad start but made plays in the second half when he needed to.

Pyne hasn't gotten any better since he was a freshman. If it wasn't for the IMG connection I don't think he'd be a 4* going to ND

Reaction Score

How did Jermaine Williams go? DT got StJoes. I hear he’s stud

Reaction Score
How did Jermaine Williams go? DT got StJoes. I hear he’s stud
William’s is very raw, but he played really well. Had a few sacks in the second half. He’s a BIG boy, who moves pretty well. He’s a guy that has a ton of room to develop. He plays really high at the point of attack, but he’s able to overpower smaller offensive lineman at the HS level. With some work on technique, he could be a D1 kid.

I was not impressed with NC’s D1 offensive lineman. They were overpowered by the smaller, quicker SJ DL.

Pyne is great when he has to improvise, but if he’s forced to stay in the pocket (which SJ learned from last seasons film) he struggles with his accuracy. Maybe he has small hands and the rain affected him but he was not sharp against SJ (again).

Reaction Score
Pyne is great when he has to improvise, but if he’s forced to stay in the pocket (which SJ learned from last seasons film) he struggles with his accuracy. Maybe he has small hands and the rain affected him but he was not sharp against SJ (again).
I was extremely impressed with the Masuk staff last season. They saw this and just dropped 9 or 10 and said "throw it, I dare you"

Reaction Score
The crazy thing about SJ is they’re missing a few really good players to injury to start the year.

This was as impressive a win as I’ve seen since Ansonia dismantlement the 2007 Jack Cochran led, New London team, 35-0 in the Class S State Final. Their offense and QB Jordan Reed (Florida/Redskins) led the state in scoring and their OL averaged well over 300lbs across. Cochran stated NL would best Ansonia by 4 TDs leading up to the game.

When is the last time NC was shutout???

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The Week 2 GameTimeCT / Register Top 10 Football Poll: ST. JOSEPH is No. 1
  1. St. Joe’s
  2. Greenwich
  3. Darien
  4. Hand
  5. Shelton
  6. East Hartford
  7. New Canaan
  8. Killingly
  9. Naugatuck
  10. Bloomfield
Others receiving votes: Southington (1-0), 328; Maloney (1-0), 314; Ansonia (1-0), 230; Newtown (1-0), 228; Berlin (1-0), 210; North Haven (1-0), 133; Fairfield Prep (1-0), 104; Middletown (1-0), 63; Windsor (0-1), 58; Norwich Free Academy (1-0), 44; Sheehan (1-0), 25; Brookfield (1-0), 23 ; RHAM (1-0), 21; Cromwell/Portland (1-0), 9; Hamden (1-0) and E.O. Smith (1-0), 8; New London (1-0), Seymour (1-0) and Valley Regional/Old Lyme (1-0), 7.

Last edited:

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
Not saying they will make playoffs this year but the coaching change at Pomperaug was needed and paying off early dividends.

46-0 @Bethel with East Lyme coming to town this week off a loss.

Reaction Score
Not saying they will make playoffs this year but the coaching change at Pomperaug was needed and paying off early dividends.

46-0 @Bethel with East Lyme coming to town this week off a loss.

They have struggled since Oxford HS was built and they stopped getting those kids on the football team. I hope the new coach gets them going in the right direction. The SWC used to be the 2nd/3rd best conference some years when Pomperaug, Brookfield, Bunnell, Masuk, Newtown, ND-FF and Stratford were all rolling

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
They have struggled since Oxford HS was built and they stopped getting those kids on the football team. I hope the new coach gets them going in the right direction. The SWC used to be the 2nd/3rd best conference some years when Pomperaug, Brookfield, Bunnell, Masuk, Newtown, ND-FF and Stratford were all rolling
Drury leaving (New Coach Hird) hurt more in 2011

Reaction Score
Drury leaving (New Coach Hird) hurt more in 2011
Both of them basically happening at the same time was not a recipe for success. I think the last Oxford class of kids who were allowed to keep attending Pomperaug was 2010 or 2011. Drury isn't a coach you can replace, though. Brookfield will probably be looking at a similar situation when Angarano retires

Reaction Score

Seymour has been in the same place for a while now. They used to be in Class M and were good in football, baseball, and softball (still are in that sport); but, are now in S after Beacon Falls built Woodland (along with Prospect, who had sent their kids to Naugatuck) and Oxford.

Reaction Score
Seymour has been in the same place for a while now. They used to be in Class M and were good in football, baseball, and softball (still are in that sport); but, are now in S after Beacon Falls built Woodland (along with Prospect, who had sent their kids to Naugatuck) and Oxford.
I never really understood exactly how the towns were split. Were Oxford kids allowed to go to Woodland, Pomperaug or Masuk?

Reaction Score
I never really understood exactly how the towns were split. Were Oxford kids allowed to go to Woodland, Pomperaug or Masuk?

If I remember correctly, its complicated as there are three primary towns involved (Prospect, Beacon Falls, and Oxford), a lot of egos involved and some cultural and budget conflicts. In the early '90's, Prospect sent their kids to Naugatuck and Wolcott high schools. Beacon Falls sent their kids to Naugatuck and Seymour high schools and Oxford sent their kids to Seymour and Masuk high schools.

Int he early 90's, Prospect and Oxford (along with Wolcott) were growing noticeably while Beacons Falls was not. Oxford's growth also involved a cultural element that was not rooted in the old Valley. Naugatuck was facing revenue issues, i.e. taxes, due to loss to manufacturing in the area. Seymour had the same issues, though to a lesser degree; but, they also had serious issues trying to pass school budgets, which is still a challenge for them today. So, both Seymour and Naugatuck high schools' were falling apart and over-crowded due to increasing enrollment for these feeder towns.

By the mid 90's Wolcott told Prospect that it could no longer take all of the Prospect students that wanted to go there and Naugatuck HS was falling apart. Seymour tried to renovate Seymour HS; but, tried to pass most of the cost to Beacon Falls and Oxford. That got Beacon Falls to ask Oxford to form a regional high school, which made sense as they are adjoining towns. Oxford said no and many felt it was a big NO to the Valley. With a common link (Naugatuck HS) and a common need, that led Beacon Falls to partner with Prospect to form a new regional high school that became Woodland and opened in 2001 (I wonder how much fun school bus rides are from Prospect to Beacon Falls along Route 42 in the winter when it snows, likely as much fun navigating around Route 34 across the Stevenson Dam between Oxford and Monroe in the same weather). Needles to say, Woodland did not offer to take in Oxford kids.

Oxford, which kept growing, then formed a second partnership with Pomperaug. The problem there was that both Southbury (Pomperaug) and Monroe (Masuk) where also growing and could not manage all of Oxford's students. Thus, in 2007, Oxford built its own high school.

As a FYI, current enrollment of the impacted schools:
  • Masuk (Monroe): 1,100
  • Nagatuck: 1,200
  • Oxford: 600
  • Pomperaug Regional: 1,200
  • Seymour: 700
  • Wolcott: 800
  • Woodland Regional: 700

Reaction Score
If I remember correctly, its complicated as there are three primary towns involved (Prospect, Beacon Falls, and Oxford), a lot of egos involved and some cultural and budget conflicts. In the early '90's, Prospect sent their kids to Naugatuck and Wolcott high schools. Beacon Falls sent their kids to Naugatuck and Seymour high schools and Oxford sent their kids to Seymour and Masuk high schools.

Int he early 90's, Prospect and Oxford (along with Wolcott) were growing noticeably while Beacons Falls was not. Oxford's growth also involved a cultural element that was not rooted in the old Valley. Naugatuck was facing revenue issues, i.e. taxes, due to loss to manufacturing in the area. Seymour had the same issues, though to a lesser degree; but, they also had serious issues trying to pass school budgets, which is still a challenge for them today. So, both Seymour and Naugatuck high schools' were falling apart and over-crowded due to increasing enrollment for these feeder towns.

By the mid 90's Wolcott told Prospect that it could no longer take all of the Prospect students that wanted to go there and Naugatuck HS was falling apart. Seymour tried to renovate Seymour HS; but, tried to pass most of the cost to Beacon Falls and Oxford. That got Beacon Falls to ask Oxford to form a regional high school, which made sense as they are adjoining towns. Oxford said no and many felt it was a big NO to the Valley. With a common link (Naugatuck HS) and a common need, that led Beacon Falls to partner with Prospect to form a new regional high school that became Woodland and opened in 2001 (I wonder how much fun school bus rides are from Prospect to Beacon Falls along Route 42 in the winter when it snows, likely as much fun navigating around Route 34 across the Stevenson Dam between Oxford and Monroe in the same weather). Needles to say, Woodland did not offer to take in Oxford kids.

Oxford, which kept growing, then formed a second partnership with Pomperaug. The problem there was that both Southbury (Pomperaug) and Monroe (Masuk) where also growing and could not manage all of Oxford's students. Thus, in 2007, Oxford built its own high school.

Oh wow lol. That is crazy. No one I've ever asked has ever known the full details. Thanks!

Reaction Score

I still think these towns should get over themselves and set up a logical regionalization plan. Ansonia and Derby are headed in that direction (if they can get by those whose only objection is combining with their historical football rival.) Schools need to have a certain enrollment to offer a more varied curriculum and extra-curricular activities.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom