OT: The booze you refuse | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: The booze you refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Beer. Once I hit my 30s it stopped agreeing with me, whether it's trashy piss light beer or some snobby microbrew. I get weird headaches and jaw pain after only 1-2 beers. My dentist chalked it up to an allergy but who knows.

Mainly a single malt scotch man (Islay region) and occasionally have red wine. Kinda baffles me that my body can handle campfire-in-a-bottle like Laphroaig but can't handle two beers.

Reaction Score
Can't believe no one has brought up Dubra. (Altho maybe it's a younger generation thing)

$10 for a 1.75 gets you exactly what you'd expect: rubbing alcohol restaurants use to clean their tables. Once killed about two water bottles of it at Carriage my freshman year, and ended up puking in the woods 5 times, getting poison ivy so bad I had to go to the ER, and sleeping on a couch in a random apartment. Now I can't smell the stuff without gagging. It's also more or less ruined all vodka for me, which hurts a lot with Eastern European family members.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
It's reputation is more about who drinks it than how it tastes. I prefer Aberlour 16, but there is nothing wrong with sipping some Johnnie Walker Black for a good middle of the road flavor More here . . .

In general, "peat" has become the equivalent of hops in beer. There is a certain unsophisticated portion of the scotch drinking public that will trash anything that doesn't taste like an ashtray. If I do want a peaty scotch, I'll take Lagavulin over Talisker any day.
And I'd go for laphroaig - I have a bottle of 10 open and an 18 in waiting. My point is Dewers, Chivas and many other blends are sooo much better that Walker. I really think the whole line is over hyped and not very tasty.

Reaction Score
I remember an Onion sarcastic comedy piece once complained that there were too many Nobel Prize categories...but here's a few more we'd like to see. One was "Most Schnapps Vomited".
So yeah, most of us have been there.

Reaction Score
I wish I could at least have an appreciation of Scotch, but goodness I can't and I had someone give me a Macallan 18, but it tastes pretty horrible. I'm a big fan of bourbon and actually have well over 100 different bottles in the house and 4 supposedly really good bottles of scotch - any scotch drinkers have any tips about gaining an appreciation of it? I've had it neat, perhaps a single cube to open it a bit or with some type of food, I'm opening to suggestions because I can't sell them on the secondary because I opened them to try them so now I'm stuck with them.

Reaction Score
Also everybody should be passing on Fireball, pretty sure it has components of antifreeze in it.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Southern Comfort myself. Let me see if I can remember. Age 16, Crosby High School, winter, I think it was New Years. Me, I drank a pint of Southern with two Bud pounders. I think it was Bud. My girlfriend said I called her up from a in store phone booth and dropped the phone and left. Evidently I walked home. About a mile close to a busy East Main Street. My brother said Everyone heard the garage door go up, then down, up and down. My mother opened up the back door from the kitchen and let out a screech. LOL My Brother said, there I was, pants unbuttoned only my belt holding them up with vomit designs over my pant legs. Needless to say I lost my license for a month. Ended up two of my buds landed in the hospital and got their stomach pumped. We did this party sitting on grave stones. Anyway, still up to this day, 60'ish, you put a Southern Comfort cap to my nose, it's over, lunch everywhere.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Gin.

Drank it once my Frosh year of HS on homecoming weekend.

My parents went to visit one of my sisters at Fairfield U.

I had another sister who as a Soph and she acquired some gin.

I drank way too much on the way to the dance. Made it to the gym. Walked up to the top of the stands. Sat down and rolled down to the floor. Stood up, threw up on a Senior. Walked past all the chaperones and walked 2.5 miles home.

Woke up the next morning in a pool of vomit in my bed. Parents found me there mid-afternoon.

My "punishment " was cleaning my sheets and living with the hangover.

The smell of gin 25+ years later still makes me nauseous.
Ah I'm a Fairfield U Alum. Nice.

But for me, I can drink anything but jager. Cannot stand the smell or taste.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Can't believe no one has brought up Dubra. (Altho maybe it's a younger generation thing)

$10 for a 1.75 gets you exactly what you'd expect: rubbing alcohol restaurants use to clean their tables. Once killed about two water bottles of it at Carriage my freshman year, and ended up puking in the woods 5 times, getting poison ivy so bad I had to go to the ER, and sleeping on a couch in a random apartment. Now I can't smell the stuff without gagging. It's also more or less ruined all vodka for me, which hurts a lot with Eastern European family members.

I remember something similar. Rikaloff Vodka. 9.99 for 1.75. We used to joke that "Rikaloff" was Russian for "rocket fuel".

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
'Takillya'
I'm pretty sure you're not my cousin, but did you learn it in Pac Asia? "It's out ta kill ya," I think he got that from time in the Marines (Okinawa).

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Ever have a Screaming Nazi Rico?

1/3 jaeger, 1/3 rumplemintz, 1/3 goldschlager....chill it

Hammer time;)
Mein Gott...

and a "Hammer" is a party girl, as in "sie ist die Hammer"!

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Can't look at:
Tequila, hugged too many thrones after drinking it in large quantities. Hmm ta kill ya...

Can't understand why people drink it:
Blended Scotch, lord it's got the kerosene taste without the tequila buzz.

Watched many people over do it:
Schnapps. No, you drink one two schnapps during a night of drinking beers. If it's the boys being loud, then three four five, but you are not driving walking standing for long. But ten to a dozen, no thank you, I learned from ta-kill-ya not to drink these things in that manner.

I drink it but you shouldn't:
Hot Tang and bourbon. Yes, that's hot -boiling- water added to powdered orange drink Tang, into which a generous portion of bourbon is poured. Learned it from a guy on the Appalachian Trail, and now some 40 years later, I only bring Tang into the mountains for this drink. Wild Turkey, Old Grandad, Four Roses, Jim Beam, they all work.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure you're not my cousin, but did you learn it in Pac Asia? "It's out ta kill ya," I think he got that from time in the Marines (Okinawa).
No, was in service at the time but it was just the guys back home. Was close enough to be home every weekend. So much for seeing the world.

Reaction Score
Scotch, even good stuff, tastes like gasoline to me. I wish I could learn to appreciate it.

Reaction Score
Goldschlager/Jager/SoCo - the hard alcohol I drank in college. Somehow back then I would drink 15-25 drinks in a night trying to get hammered. I much prefer my 3 beers and bed routine now.

Reaction Score
The only thing I CANT drink is gin. I must be allergic to it somehow, mainly because my throat feels like it is closed up the next day and I don't think that's a good thing to mess with.

Other than that, i can drink anything regardless of having gotten sick on it 35 years ago. I actually think it's odd that you could drink something one night 30 years ago and not even be able to smell it. But you get sick off beer 100x more and still drink beer. I think the truth is that, at 40, 45, 50...you just don't have much reason to drink Dubra or Sour apple schnapps or SoCo and it makes for a good story.

Reaction Score
I'm getting close to going the way of Tom, which will be difficult as I do like beer, wine, and particularly, scotch. Plus, there's nothing like a (good) gin and tonic on a hot day. But I'm drinking less and less, and my stomach reacts more and more poorly to all types of booze with each passing year.

Well, it's official . . . we now know why beer has been bothering my gut. Did an allergy test because I've had some strange reactions to various foods recently. Turns out, I'm allergic to hops.

Future beer consumption will be with a Benadryl chaser . . .

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Well, it's official . . . we now know why beer has been bothering my gut. Did an allergy test because I've had some strange reactions to various foods recently. Turns out, I'm allergic to hops.

Future beer consumption will be with a Benadryl chaser . . .
Thank you for the update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS