OT: The booze you refuse | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: The booze you refuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yukon and Southern were go-to shots for drinking games in the Jungle and I haven't touched either 30 years since. They both have a strong smell that triggers gag reflexes I think. Plus that cheap mezcal with the worm in it.

Might have been with you playing 3 man (dice) in the jungle.

Reaction Score
Johnie Walker. Non scotch drinkers think it's scotch but JW is the whiskey equivalent of moonshine, raw and not very tasty. Give me a Talisker any day.
I'll drink scotch but I prefer bourbon. What I drink depends on the mood I'm in. After a UConn win I like a nice smooth bourbon like a Woodford. Sometimes after a loss I'm in the mood for a real cheap harsh bourbon.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Might have been with you playing 3 man (dice) in the jungle.
I can't remember the rules to most of the drinking games thank God. Just simple ones like quarters.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Yukon Jack!

No self-respecting Husky fan can dislike our namesake Jack from Canada!

Actually, it is pretty nasty...like Southern Comfort on steroids, but it makes for a good additional ingredient in a Long Island Ice Tea. The sweetness adds to the tea, and there's enough other alcohol in there you don't notice the YJ.

Reaction Score
Sad enough, short of the real deal moonshine from the woods, NO! :confused:

If you can hammer down Rebel Yell at a tailgate with Deepster you can pretty much stomach anything I'm afraid.

Amen, brother.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Aquavit. Tastes like grain alcohol filtered through a loaf of bad rye bread.

Have to agree on Southern Comfort and add blackberry brandy. Two things we drank as teens that are sickly sweet and an affront to my taste buds today. Jager and schnapps are tolerable, but I wouldn't seek them out.

Light beer. What's the point? And pumpkin beer.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Does anyone have an alcoholic beverage they abhor? For me it's rum. It's not so much a taste thing as it is the thickness. It works like ipecac when I drink it. I'm vomiting long before I can even get buzzed.

Pretty much all alcohol at this point.

I never had a drink until i was close to 40. Rather than continue to give me sleeping pills, my doctor told me to have a glass of brandy before going to bed. I stopped at the liquor store on my way home, grabbed a water glass, and proceeded to drink a pint or more of 100 proof schnapps a day for two years.

funny think is, a pint of high test barely affected me. It did help me get to sleep. But drunk sleep isn't real sleep.

At this point I guess I was lucky. If I even look at a bottle I get sick. I can't even stomach niquil.

Note to all doctors: Don't tell a middle aged Irishman it's a good idea to take up drinking. To quote Leo McGarry (West Wing), "It's a family thing."

Reaction Score
21st birthday in the dorm and I'm drinking everything. Because we're young and stupid someone breaks out a bottle of Godiva Liqueur for me to mix with Firewater, Goldschalger, Dr McGilicutty's, and who remembers what else. A plastic bag from Stop and Shop was attached to my ears to allow for massive puking, which would probably still be needed today if I tried drinking that crap.

Reaction Score
I'm getting close to going the way of Tom, which will be difficult as I do like beer, wine, and particularly, scotch. Plus, there's nothing like a (good) gin and tonic on a hot day. But I'm drinking less and less, and my stomach reacts more and more poorly to all types of booze with each passing year.

As for what I could never drink -- after one particularly bad incident with a bottle of Hot D@mn when I was a freshman, I couldn't stomach anything cinnamon for about 10 years.

Reaction Score
Johnie Walker. Non scotch drinkers think it's scotch but JW is the whiskey equivalent of moonshine, raw and not very tasty. Give me a Talisker any day.

It's reputation is more about who drinks it than how it tastes. I prefer Aberlour 16, but there is nothing wrong with sipping some Johnnie Walker Black for a good middle of the road flavor More here . . .

In general, "peat" has become the equivalent of hops in beer. There is a certain unsophisticated portion of the scotch drinking public that will trash anything that doesn't taste like an ashtray. If I do want a peaty scotch, I'll take Lagavulin over Talisker any day.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Jose Cuervo Gold (or Silver) but mainly the gold. I can drink high end tequilla in a mixed drink... but don't like it on it's own.. but just the smell of Cuervo gold is enough to make me feel ill.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As many on here have already stated by the time you hit 30 old, bravado has gone by the wayside and you've learned how to decline booze you don't like. You know what you like and you know how to order with confidence.

For me, besides not touching gin, I don't drink tequila in mixed drinks but I'll do the occasional shot. Not a fan of Irish whisky, scotch whiskey, brandy or cognac.

I like middle of the road vodkas- Tito's or Absolut are fine.

American and Canadian whiskeys, bourbon, dark rum and spiced rum.

I think my liquor cabinet currently has Absolut, Sailor Jerry, Crown Royal, Bulleit Bourbon and Johnny Walker Red (for my dad when he visits).

That's plenty enough choices for a weekend cookout or short notice social at a house.

3-5 types of liquor and a few different mixers.

Reaction Score
Schnapps. The first time I ever got drunk was freshman year of college. I drank almost an entire bottle of 99Apples, a sour apple flavored schnapps. Later that night my friends and I made a trip to a convenience store where I decided it would be the perfect place and time to try sushi for the first time. To this day I have no idea why the sushi was orange, but nevertheless "Sushi To Go" made its way back to my dorm. I spent the next 30 minutes telling everyone how great "Sushi Togo" was (my drunk self thought "Sushi To Go" was named after the small African country Togo and not, as I would later find out, a failed warning system trying to stop drunk idiots from buying pre-made sushi from a 24 hour gas station).

After 3 hours in the bathroom my roommates had to move my mattress off the top bunk and onto the floor for fear that even if I made it up to the bed, I'd either immediately roll off or vomit all over the poor guy asleep underneath me. You really find out who your true friends are a week into college when they spend their entire friday night helping you not die. Nevertheless, over a decade later and I've never had Schnapps again. I've never had anything green apple flavored again. Oddly enough, I love sushi.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Schnapps. The first time I ever got drunk was freshman year of college. ... Nevertheless, over a decade later and I've never had Schnapps again. I've never had anything green apple flavored again. Oddly enough, I love sushi.

I have a similar story... in which I decided that a bottle of cheap brandy and a bottle of Drambuie and day old Sushi were perfect complements.

Reaction Score
Only hard liquor I truly enjoy is Tequila but I'm talking the good stuff like Clase Azul, Don Julio 1942, and etc.

Everything else I pass on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS