OT: The Boneyard regulars trip to the concession stand during a game... | The Boneyard

OT: The Boneyard regulars trip to the concession stand during a game...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not funny to me.

I walk with a cane and I think it's funny. I think it shows human nature, how people try their darnedest to be nice and patient when, in reality, they're about to blow a gasket. I laughed.

U

UCONNfan1

I walk with a cane and I think it's funny. I think it shows human nature, how people try their darnedest to be nice and patient when, in reality, they're about to blow a gasket. I laughed.
I'm sure the other guy you quoted was being funny. Hard to see how that skit could offend anyone.

JS

Reaction Score
I'm sure the other guy you quoted was being funny. Hard to see how that skit could offend anyone.
Actually rather easy to see.

There's a slightly uncomfortable ambiguity as to who one is laughing at.

-- You're probably laughing at the attenuated frustration of the drivers, which I think is the real and intended source of the humor. Bear in mind, though, that this frustration could've been on account of any prolonged delay that keeps getting extended each time it seems to be ending. Could be a line of turtles or ducks.

-- But the skit-meisters chose specifically . . . elderly and infirm people. Now the humor gets ambiguous. Are we laughing at the drivers, or at the old folks' foibles? Are we laughing at the handicapped? Note how oblivious they seem -- in their own little world. Note how clumsy, dropping things. Not very attractive, eh?

Now most of us, even those feeling a little uncomfortable with this ambiguity, will see the humor in the reactions of the drivers. But note the spin the OP's heading put on the thread. "Boneyard regulars tripping to the concession stand." With that, the humor isn't directed at the drivers.

So if "the guy you quoted" is (a) a Boneyard regular, who is (b) no longer young, and (c) wheelchair-bound, and who (d) nonetheless negotiates the problems of attending games, all as happens to be the case, maybe you'll not find it so hard to see how that skit, as posted here with that heading, could offend anyone.

Reaction Score
I thought it was funny as I could see myself as any one of those people at one time or another on my life

U

UCONNfan1

I thought it was funny as I could see myself as any one of those people at one time or another on my life
Absolutely. If people really were offended, then they have some super thin skin. Need to toughen up boys. My father uses a walker and thought it was funny. I'll take my cues from him.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Absolutely. If people really were offended, then they have some super thin skin. Need to toughen up boys. My father uses a walker and thought it was funny. I'll take my cues from him.

I guess your father is just tougher than I am.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm with JS on this - I wasn't offended but can see why some would be. Of course, I also think much of truly funny humor is - or at least can be - offensive to some.

I offer a sad reminder - there was an equally long row of wheel chairs delaying entry to the elevator at this weekend's UofA football game, and a loud mouthed idiot demanding that he "jump" the line (past wheelchair and standing folks alike) because he could "squeeze in". The point - EVERY ONE of the wheelchair bound folks were STUDENTS - in addition to regular access the elevator leads to the student handicapped section. Very sad to see 7 or 8 college age students in wheelchairs (and these did not look temporary, either).

JS

Reaction Score
Absolutely. If people really were offended,

You think they weren't? You think they're pretending?

then they have some super thin skin. Need to toughen up boys.

You can react as you please. Stop telling others there's something wrong with them (thin skin; not tough) if they react differently. It's obnoxious and not your place to judge them.

My father uses a walker and thought it was funny. I'll take my cues from him.

Good for him. And take your cues where you wish -- if you need cues.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score

In the public sector, there is an old adage - never argue with a person who buys ink by the barrel (news paper editor). On website boards that must translate into never argue with a mod that can ban you. But here goes...

That clip was aimed ( by the originators ) at the people driving their cars. It was meant to make fun of them. I posted it to make fun of the Boneyarders - myself included - who have much too much white ( or I guess little) hair. Please see the posting title.

There was no intent to mock anyone who has a disability. If you are offended because I made fun of old farts like myself, guilty as charged.

JS

Reaction Score
There was no intent to mock anyone who has a disability. If you are offended because I made fun of old farts like myself, guilty as charged.
I'm not offended at all, and fully understood your intent to poke fun at Boneyard demographics rather than at anyone's infirmities.

What I said was I could understand how some might be offended. This was in response to a poster who said he couldn't imagine it.

And I tried to explain how that might be (and was in fact) the case, given the ambiguities of the humor and the fact that people may react differently according to their own situations and experiences.

Since the same poster then doubled down, proceeding from disbelief that anyone could react negatively to volunteer criticism of those who did, I guess my explication was something of a waste of time, at least in his case.

Reaction Score
In the public sector, there is an old adage - never argue with a person who buys ink by the barrel (news paper editor). On website boards that must translate into never argue with a mod that can ban you. But here goes...

That clip was aimed ( by the originators ) at the people driving their cars. It was meant to make fun of them. I posted it to make fun of the Boneyarders - myself included - who have much too much white ( or I guess little) hair. Please see the posting title.

I too have a disability but the video you posted made me laugh because I understood right away what you were trying to do. However, I completely understand why someone might be offended. Becoming disabled while getting older is no fun; in fact, it can, at times, be incredibly frustrating, which is precisely why I laughed so hard at the video that diggerfoot posted.

Reaction Score
UCONNfan1 - Look at Kibitzer's avatar. He was the original poster who was not amused. As far as I'm concerned he has every right to be offended and he certainly does not need to "toughen up", as you suggest.

I agree with pretty much everything else you say on this subject.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Great stuff Adesmar! Laughed my butt off. I could see my dad as one of those old farts giving hell to the more ambulatory folks waiting for the parade to pass!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom