OT - The Boneyard Greatest Movie of All-Time Tournament | The Boneyard

OT - The Boneyard Greatest Movie of All-Time Tournament

Reaction Score
boneyard-red.jpg

Greatest Movie of All-Time Tournament

It's simple. I love movies, you probably like movies. I want you to give me a list of up to 16 of your absolute favorite films. I will collect everyone's data, from that, seed them based on your rankings and then generate a bracket with hopefully some interesting regions and pairings. From there we will have the Boneyard vote until we have an ultimate winner.

You don't have to give me 16 selections, the more the better but as many as you deem worthy is just fine. There are no wrong answers, if it happens that White Chicks faces off against one of the Police Academy movies in the final then so be it. I will collect answers until next Tuesday and then by the weekend I will probably start the pairings.

Vote submission form, have fun!

Reaction Score
Usual suspects
My cousin Vinny
P.S. To anyone who wants to, feel free to post your lists here, like tomtom started to. Some good debate is always welcome on the Boneyard I think.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Usual suspects
My cousin Vinny

I like both of these and they fit my criteria that "movies" are American. Outside of America, they are film or cinema.
And, I'm also thinking for this exercise that it's "movies that I can imagine BY members liking" rather than "these are the best."

I'm not going in any order, but these are movies I've watched and gotten something out of multiple times. Also, I went more than 16 and I'm not going to eliminate anything. And I forgot stuff that others will remember.
Goodfellas
Fast Times at Ridgemont High
Radio Days
Nashville
Clockwork Orange
Adaptation
Boogie Nights
Bad Santa
Strangers on a Train
Sunset Boulevard
Aristocrats
Defending Your Life
Singin' in the Rain
Chinatown
Modern Times
Blade Runner
Tootsie
Network
Little Big Man
Broadcast News
Grand Canyon
Animal Crackers

Reaction Score
P.S. To anyone who wants to, feel free to post your lists here, like tomtom started to. Some good debate is always welcome on the Boneyard I think.
Just posted my list, with the exception Of "Casablanca: as #1; the rest are in arbitrary order. All are films that I find compelling even after repeated viewing. Those interested can check out my weekly posts on films worth viewing.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Does the list have to be in order? In other words, is my first listed movie getting 16 points and my 16th listed getting 1 point, or is it all just total votes?

I can definitely just spit out my 16 favorite movies, but putting them in order would require me to nervously debate their merits in my head for 3 days and totally waste my time.

Reaction Score
Does the list have to be in order? In other words, is my first listed movie getting 16 points and my 16th listed getting 1 point, or is it all just total votes?

I can definitely just spit out my 16 favorite movies, but putting them in order would require me to nervously debate their merits in my head for 3 days and totally waste my time.
Yes, this was my biggest reservation with doing this. Trying to put my own favorite movies in any sort of order is nearly impossible and can change daily if I allowed myself to dwell on it too much. Where you put them will impact seeding and/or whether they make the cut into the field in the first place. It might not affect something like Shawshank so much (not so far the clear cut winner looking at the early entries BTW @8893) if you were to put it at 16, but say you put The Professional there, that might be it's only point which would probably put it on the wrong side of the bubble.

I'd say if you want to feel better about your choices, just shorten your list to 8 or 10.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It might not affect something like Shawshank so much (not so far the clear cut winner looking at the early entries BTW @8893) if you were to put it at 16, but say you put The Professional there, that might be it's only point which would probably put it on the wrong side of the bubble.

I'd say if you want to feel better about your choices, just shorten your list to 8 or 10.
Yeah I was just being lazy because I wanted to weigh in with my favorite without having to think about and rank the next 15. I will try to send you a list of at least ten. I think I can do that.

crazyUCfan23

Long live the Civil ConFLiCT
Reaction Score
My favorites in no particular order:

Miracle
The Dark Knight
Godfather I
The Departed
Rocky I
Dazed and Confused
Law Abiding Citizen
Friday Night Lights
Star Wars: A Force Awakens, + Original Trilogy (IV, V, VI)
Home Alone 1
Shawshenk Redemption

Poe

Reaction Score
1. Back to the Future
2. The Karate Kid
3. The Shawshank Redemption
4. Donnie Darko
5. Braveheart
6. Forrest Gump
7. Home Alone
8. American Pyscho
9. Dumb and Dumber
10. Gladiator
11. Zoolander
12. Saving Private Ryan
13. Fight Club
14. Rocky
15. Boiler Room
16. American Beauty

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I might have saved this for the post season, but I'm in. My 16 nominations:

True Grit (original)
The Godfather (original)*
Casablanca*
A Few Good Men*
12 Angry Men
Shawshank* (repeated for seeding purposes)
Uncle Buck
Hoosiers
My Cousin Vinny (repeated for seeding purposes)
Remember the Titans
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill (Vol. 1 )
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Rocky (Actually I like Rocky Balboa better, but the original has more legs.)
Aliens (Could go with the original but I like this one better.)'
The Silence of the Lambs

* My final four picks.

The Professional is a surprising good movie. Not a bad dark horse candidate. Let me add a couple more that will be long shots on this board.

La La Land
Million Dollar Baby
The Maltese Falcon
The Cowboys
Iron Man
The Incredibles

Reaction Score
No particular order and I could only cut it to 17. If need be I can cut it to 16 and put them in order-

The Deer Hunter
Lone Star
The Wild Bunch
Dazed and Confused
Cinema Paradiso
Midnight Run
True Romance
City of God
Deliverance
Once Upon a Time in America
There Will be Blood
Paths of Glory
Matewan
McCabe and Mrs. Miller
Pan's Labyrinth
Heat
Amores Perros

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Just posted my list, with the exception Of "Casablanca: as #1; the rest are in arbitrary order. All are films that I find compelling even after repeated viewing. Those interested can check out my weekly posts on films worth viewing.
That's my thoughts exactly. Casablanca #1, then a bunch of others I really liked.

Silence of the Lambs
Godfather
Defending Your Life
Children of Men
The Royal Tenenbaums (all Wes Anderson, actually)

ADD(S)
Mary Poppins - my favorite musical

Last edited:

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Yes, this was my biggest reservation with doing this. Trying to put my own favorite movies in any sort of order is nearly impossible and can change daily if I allowed myself to dwell on it too much. Where you put them will impact seeding and/or whether they make the cut into the field in the first place. It might not affect something like Shawshank so much (not so far the clear cut winner looking at the early entries BTW @8893) if you were to put it at 16, but say you put The Professional there, that might be it's only point which would probably put it on the wrong side of the bubble.

Great, now I have to quit my job.

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see the "outliers" that show up on peoples' lists. Should also do a "bottom bracket"

Reaction Score
Ones I missed that might have bumped some of mine:

The Godfather (original)* (didn't really miss this one but it didn't make my cut - was unsure about this)
A Few Good Men
Hoosiers
Remember the Titans
The Silence of the Lambs

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Shawshank Redemption

Harold and Maude

Godfather

Being There

One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest

My Cousin Vinny

A Few Good Men

The Player

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance

It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World

The Great Escape

The Big Lebowski

Being John Malkovich

American Beauty

High Fidelity

Godfather II

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
I submitted via Google already but here's my list to best of my recollection (though order may be different):

29th Street
Braveheart
Shawshank Redemption
Goodfellas
Jaws
Die Hard
Dazed and Confused
Aliens
The Silence of the Lambs
Pulp Fiction
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Empire Strikes Back