OT: Thanksgiving Strangers | The Boneyard

OT: Thanksgiving Strangers

Reaction Score
Do you have people end up at your Thanksgiving table who you have never met in your life? This annoys the crap out of me. This year we are ending up with my brothers future inlaws. Not only that but an aunt who always travels with them is coming too. They asked if they could bring their untrained puppy but I put my foot down. The last thing I want to do on Thanksgiving is make small talk with strangers,and I guess I’m unsociable but if I don’t do this I’m in the you know what house with the wife.

Reaction Score
I married into a polish family. This is literally a yearly tradition for me and even worse they all speak the native tongue and I'm the schmoe who's probably getting insulted left and right while having no idea. The tribe somehow multiplies by like 5 each year too its unreal. But I usually get a decent enough buzz where I stop caring and I recommend you do the same.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
My wife and I generally host the major holidays in our house.

Aside from family, a bunch of random people have standing invites. They don’t even have to call, they’re welcome to just show up.

Occasionally, they come. Occasionally, they bring someone with them.

We don’t care. It’s a couple of extra plates for a couple of hours.

You’ll surivive it.

Good call on the dog, though. I don’t want the beasts in my house either.

Reaction Score
Have an few extra cocktails and relax or tell your brother to go pound sand, good call on the dog.

Some holidays I get the pleasure of watching my sister in law's boyfriend spend the entire night tugging at his package like it's a pull start for a mower. I'm very close to telling him, son if you shave that thing, powder it or get some medicine for what ails the privates because you do more ball handling in a night than LeBron James does in a season, christ.

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I thoroughly appreciate that you thought of bringing this to The Boneyard for discussion LOL

I feel you though. Thanksgiving is very sacred in my family+extended family. Any outsiders throws it off a bit.

Reaction Score
Do you have people end up at your Thanksgiving table who you have never met in your life? This annoys the crap out of me. This year we are ending up with my brothers future inlaws. Not only that but an aunt who always travels with them is coming too. They asked if they could bring their untrained puppy but I put my foot down. The last thing I want to do on Thanksgiving is make small talk with strangers,and I guess I’m unsociable but if I don’t do this I’m in the you know what house with the wife.

Drink if you dont wanna talk to much then just go to the TV and watch football.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Drink if you dont wanna talk to much then just go to the TV and watch football.
Or rather, UConn get walloped by Oregon in Portland.

Reaction Score
I hate having strangers at Thanksgiving but my mother has always invited everyone she meets. Many years we’d be on course for a Thanksgiving with no strangers and my mother would proceed to ask the oil delivery guy or some small family in the grocery store, “What are you doing for Thanksgiving?” I would hold my breath awaiting their answer.

We generally host these days and when the phone rings around Thanksgiving it is very often her saying, “so and so doesn’t have anywhere to go”. The spirit of the holiday is to include people and show some warmth. It can be difficult for some people to relax with strangers in their house. I solve these problems with liquor.

Reaction Score
It’s never good to have strangers who make it less comfortable than it normally is with family. For our family the last 20 years or so have little to no drinking but if there are strangers, there will be I promise. Just sucks to head to your favorite recliner after all the goodies to not be able to watch football, fall asleep, fart on command and just be you.

Here’s hoping I have none this year at my house!

Reaction Score
The only thing I like less than talking to my family is talking to strangers.

Then again, I'm usually in a stuffing and wine coma most of the afternoon.

Reaction Score
I have been that person a few times since becoming single. I bring a couple bottles of very nice wine and say please and thank you a lot. There have been no casualties. Yet.

Reaction Score
In my circle of family, mostly my in law side, my side is no more, the group declines by one or two, sadly, each year. Two of my sons and their families live in New Hampshire and have their own circle of family or friends to share the Holiday with.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
It depends on who we have Thanksgiving with. If it's my side of the family, there's not much room for anyone unfamiliar as I'm one of 7 siblings (6 of us still alive) and in addition to my parents there are as many as 19 kids present.

If it's with my wife's family, I'm surrounded by a sea of people my in-laws know who I do not.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Prominently feature turkey and all the other disaster side dishes that people only make once a year because they suck, and they will never show again.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My wife and I generally host the major holidays in our house.

Aside from family and a bunch of random people, we have given standing invites to anyone from the Boneyard. You don’t even have to call, you’re welcome to just show up.

Wow. That's surprisingly decent of you! For those who don't know Here's a link to Fishy's address.

Reaction Score
Prominently feature turkey and all the other disaster side dishes that people only make once a year because they suck, and they will never show again.
Order yourself a Greenberg smoked turkey, you're welcome.

Reaction Score
Lol no!

5.20 a lb for turkey plus shipping!

Holy lolz .

I paid 5 bucks a lb for lobster yesterday.
That's pretty damn affordable for a smoked turkey. Lobster is peasant food, I refuse to pay a lot for it.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Two best pieces of advice in this thread are head to the kitchen for KP duty for the day and drink excessively.

Kitchen never runs out of work to be done and you can start and end any conversation at your pace.

Reaction Score
Order yourself a Greenberg smoked turkey, you're welcome.

I’ve done that for more than a decade to supplement the fried wild bird that I shoot in the spring. If I’m fortunate enough to bag one.

The smoked birds are great.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom