OT - Tequila Shot Yes or No | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Tequila Shot Yes or No

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Good tequila usually doesn't smell like bad tequila.

As for shots, only Polish/Russian vodka. And only with Poles/Russians and other former commies. It's hospitable.

One time I was travelling with a friend in Scotland and we were the guest of a German who was living there at the time. (This will get to vodka, stay with me.) That evening a few of us went to the pub. It had been a long hot day and when he brought back the first round, I took a long drink. As I was drinking I see our host seated across from me is matching me as I drink. We both drained our ales and he, still looking at me, hands his wife his keys and then gets up and gets two more pints. I sensed an unhealthy competition had begun. (To be fair, it takes two to compete, but I wasn't driving.)

It was a long evening with good company and good conversation. He probably ended up with a pint on me, but I feel like I represented the States well. We get back the house where I figure we talk a bit then I'd sleep it off. When we sat down he excused himself went into the kitchen and comes back with a bottle of vodka (told you I'd get there) in a block of ice on a tray with shot glasses. The shots were icy cold and delicious. The details on the rest of the night get blurry. I remember my buddy babbling incoherently. I remember I had a little room spin going when I finally went to bed. Our host went to work the next day with no apparent ill effects. I remembered to drink a couple of glasses of water before I went bed so I was okay. My buddy was hurting for a week. Good times.

Reaction Score
This is the correct answer.

Had the privilege of tasting a number of microlocal tequilas (many homemade) when I lived in Mexico. Lots of goodness in the category.
Guess I could have told this story in my original response.

In college I did more tequila shots with salt and lemons than I could possibly count. We went through bottles and bottles of crappy tequila. Jose Cuervo and, even worse, stuff that came in plastic jugs with a handle. They were not enjoyable but it was a college ritual and we partook in it a lot.

So when I got out of college just thinking of tequila shots made me shudder. Until one day about 10 years ago when I went to a Cinco de Mayo party at a friend's house who was into expensive tequila. He had about 10 bottles of different stuff that he said cost between $150 and $250 a bottle. I had no idea there was actually "good" tequila. He asked me to do a shot and I immediately was squeamish but he said let's do it. I went looking for the salt and lemon but he said this stuff was smooth and that wasn't needed. And you know what? He was right. Didn't taste anything like the crap we drank in college.

So if you're going to do a tequila shot it has to be the expensive stuff. No more Jose Cuervo for me. If only I had known about the good stuff in college.....

Reaction Score
Guess I could have told this story in my original response.

In college I did more tequila shots with salt and lemons than I could possibly count. We went through bottles and bottles of crappy tequila. Jose Cuervo and, even worse, stuff that came in plastic jugs with a handle. They were not enjoyable but it was a college ritual and we partook in it a lot.

So when I got out of college just thinking of tequila shots made me shudder. Until one day about 10 years ago when I went to a Cinco de Mayo party at a friend's house who was into expensive tequila. He had about 10 bottles of different stuff that he said cost between $150 and $250 a bottle. I had no idea there was actually "good" tequila. He asked me to do a shot and I immediately was squeamish but he said let's do it. I went looking for the salt and lemon but he said this stuff was smooth and that wasn't needed. And you know what? He was right. Didn't taste anything like the crap we drank in college.

So if you're going to do a tequila shot it has to be the expensive stuff. No more Jose Cuervo for me. If only I had known about the good stuff in college.....

Same...college, lotsa crappy, taste like shiite stuff. Then one day on a biz trip, one of my employees bought me a shot of Patron. I don't know anything about tequila, or what's considered 'good' tequila, but this was a totally different (tolerable) animal....

Reaction Score
"Good" tequila. Yes

I prefer krupnikas. A honey based spiced liqueur made with grain alcohol or vodka but the vodka versions all suck.... My wife makes it. Very smooth. Filled five 750 mil bottles....Only a few distilleries in the US make it for retail sale...Brothers Vilgalys and KAS. Soon to be a third, Quiver Spirits. Owned by a friend of ours.

Quiver | Quiver Spirits

Reaction Score
Tequila es el diablo.

Loved tequila shots back in the day when I was single; but, I love my wife more now, so no more. Though, I will have some quality tequila to sip now and then and I often have a margarita in my hand during a warm summer night at the lake.

Reaction Score
What is with all you guys taking your shots with lemon?? It’s lime or no sale.
We were in college. We used whatever we could get our hands on. We probably used oranges sometimes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I won’t drink anything via the shot anymore, with few exceptions. But there are good sipping tequilas and many very tasty Mezcal out there to be savored.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
In college, tequila was absolutely my favorite shot. And then I grew old and brittle.

My brothers are nuts. My brother-in-law’s wife is nuts. We all took a cruise this past summer...those three signed us all up for every booze tasting the ship offered. Rum, great. Martinis, great. Beer, great. Wine, great. Mixology, great.

And then there was the tequila tasting - that was tough sledding. We had four shots of differently aged tequila and then a supposed sipping tequila. They all tasted like death. Most of them tasted like sudden death - maybe the sipping one tasted like impending death, but death nonetheless.

After the five shots of tequila, they made us a margarita and told us to try not to fall off the ship.

B26-C083-B-0955-42-BA-881-C-DC86-F71-A3-DE9.jpg

All hail the mouse!

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
My friend has a very apt phrase. He says "tequila always wins". In college I saw my buddy rip a sink off the wall in a tequila rage. Tequila muscles are a real thing. Back in the day I remember Jose Cuervo had the worm in it. I'll drink tequila shots but my preference these days is Jameson. I enjoy a summer margarita, also. @8893 I'll give Ripe's a try if I can find it in Chicago. We like a mixer called Tres Agaves. Makes really tasty margaritas.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Yes on the tequila.

Did enough of it in college, took off about 10-15 years and re-engaged with tequila around age 35. Solid decision.

No, on gin. Not in shots, not in anything.

Only drank crap tequila in college. Plastic bottle with a picture of a guy in a sombrero on the front, that kind.

Had good tequila for the first time at a Mexican friend's wedding in my late 20s. Then I went on vacation to Cabo a year or two later and fell in love with an amigo especial going by the name of Don Julio. I love sipping anejos neat or with an ice cube.

As for the OP, if I have to take any shot, it's a shot of any premium tequila. No Cuervo.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Only drank crap tequila in college. Plastic bottle with a picture of a guy in a sombrero on the front, that kind.
I remember the two things I used to bring regularly to Friday night mixers at the Stamford Branch in the mid-70s: a six of Tuborg and a bottle of Tango tequila sunrise.

It's why I excuse today's youth from having horrific taste. They can grow out of it (although the BY is evidence many don't...)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After initial baptism via freshman year upside down margaritas I learned to like the taste of tequila (always Jose Cuervo for shots back in the day, well brands for drinks), salt & lime early but eventually didn't need it. I enjoy nicer blends now though not often and Cuervo still tastes like 'home' tequila to me and I don't need the garnish.

All that said, on last day of classes at UConn we got suffiently pre-loaded at Ted's & moved to Hooligan's for evening portion. Hooligans always had shot specials on the board, that evening's was labeled "really disgusting tequila $0.99" Two of us figured can't go wrong, took the shot, looked at each other and both marched straight outside and gave the entire days worth of boozing back to nature.

Reaction Score
Clase Azul Anejo is still my go to for sipping. I do enjoy the 1942 and Roca Patron as well.

Reaction Score
In college, tequila was absolutely my favorite shot. And then I grew old and brittle.

My brothers are nuts. My brother-in-law’s wife is nuts. We all took a cruise this past summer...those three signed us all up for every booze tasting the ship offered. Rum, great. Martinis, great. Beer, great. Wine, great. Mixology, great.

And then there was the tequila tasting - that was tough sledding. We had four shots of differently aged tequila and then a supposed sipping tequila. They all tasted like death. Most of them tasted like sudden death - maybe the sipping one tasted like impending death, but death nonetheless.

After the five shots of tequila, they made us a margarita and told us to try not to fall off the ship.

B26-C083-B-0955-42-BA-881-C-DC86-F71-A3-DE9.jpg
It's only death if you squirt the orange in your eyes and snort the dried caterpillars.

Reaction Score
The last time I did tequila shots I ended up in jail during Spring break in Daytona Beach. After 4 or 5 shots it becomes difficult to keep the salt, lemon, and tequila in the right order. My vote remains yes despite the jail thing.

Reaction Score
Doesn't have to be in one sitting, can be spread out across the course of a day/night...

Reaction Score
I say no. Will do a variety of shots but can’t stand Tequila....or gin

Spend a week in Mexico and your opinion of tequilla will change. I hated that stuff until I went to Cancun for Spring Break in 05 and the rest is history.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom