OT Sweet flavored meat? | The Boneyard

OT Sweet flavored meat?

Reaction Score
I just don’t understand what the big fascination with it is.

Im one of those people who cannot have maple syrup on the same plate with eggs or bacon. If French toast happens to be on the same plate I’ll eat the French toast last so that way I don’t have to worry about maple syrup being near my eggs and bacon.

Never understood why anyone would eat honey glazed chicken from the grocery store. Chicken and waffles another terrible idea I know from experience I ate it in New Orleans when I was drunk and I felt like I was gonna die the next day. You couldn’t pay me to eat that again.

Reaction Score
One of the more random thread headings I can remember.

Big difference, to me, between "sweet flavored meat" and the sweet/salty combo you get from getting some syrup from your pancakes mixed in with your bacon and eggs. The latter is pretty perfect. Pancakes, a couple over easy eggs, and some breakfast sausage or bacon is a pretty perfect combo when they all get mixed together.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Im one of those people who cannot have maple syrup on the same plate with eggs or bacon. If French toast happens to be on the same plate I’ll eat the French toast last so that way I don’t have to worry about maple syrup being near my eggs and bacon.

Never understood why anyone would eat honey glazed chicken from the grocery store. Chicken and waffles another terrible idea I know from experience I ate it in New Orleans when I was drunk and I felt like I was gonna die the next day. You couldn’t pay me to eat that again.

Chicken and waffles is one of the great food combinations you never think of until you tried it.
@BigErnMcCracken is spot on with combining sweet and salty or sweet and savory.

I was actually a restaurant last week that had a "Vermont Calzone". Ricotta cheese with breakfast sausage and bacon on the inside and a dipping bowl of Vermont syrup. I didn't get it.

That being said I am bored of all the hot honey food out there as am I about making every bread product brioche.

Reaction Score

This is a 10/10 off-season thread.

FWIW chicken and waffles isn't a southern thing despite people associating it with there. It's a Pennsylvania Dutch thing that migrated to NY IIRC. The good s--- is in Harlem.

I think you just don't have a sweet tooth. My wife doesn't like sweets, and won't eat pancakes or waffles with maple syrup at all. Whereas I'm drowning that in syrup. I could also go all in on a glazed meat of any kind, or a nice sweet BBQ sauce.

My favorite sweet&salty combo comes from nonna...chunks of parm-reggiano with honey. chef's kiss

Reaction Score
So I take it you also hate barbeque?

What do you do when you show up to a tailgate and smoked BBQ pork & brisket is on the menu?

To each their own, and honey glazed chicken isn't exactly on my list of menu items, but count me in for sweet & savory sauces over all of the meats from the grill.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Chicken and waffles is one of the great food combinations you never think of until you tried it.
@BigErnMcCracken is spot on with combining sweet and salty or sweet and savory.

I was actually a restaurant last week that had a "Vermont Calzone". Ricotta cheese with breakfast sausage and bacon on the inside and a dipping bowl of Vermont syrup. I didn't get it.

That being said I am bored of all the hot honey food out there as am I about making every bread product brioche.

Chicken and waffles is amazing, but I've never been a fan of deep fried chicken.

Baked or air fried chicken is even better.

Reaction Score
I think sweet meat cooking was a traditional European concept to cover the taste and smell of rotting meet. (I am sure many areas also did it for the same reason)

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
My favorite sweet&salty combo comes from nonna...chunks of parm-reggiano with honey. chef's kiss

Right there with you. Some whipped ricotta and a honey drizzle I will eat by the spoonful. Much more neutral than the parmigiana reggiano, but both are just absolutely pleasant combinations.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm a big fan of the sweet, salty, savory combo. The one that immediately comes to mind is the glaze on a baked ham. Last night my wife made chicken kebabs glazed with the honey we get from a friend of ours. I'm not a big honey guy, but that stuff is amazing. I guess that's mostly because it's fresh, but it has a really impressive floral taste to it. Anyway, any sweet smoky grilled flavor is great. The kebabs were terrific with peppers onions and potatoes in addition to the chicken.

Reaction Score
A touch of sweet can be good. If you have great bacon you don’t need this but this is a trick that will turn bad bacon into good and good into a sublime experience. Thick cut bacon put on parchment paper, brush very lightly with real maple syrup then bake until crisp but not burnt. It’s a BLT you will remember.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
A touch of sweet can be good. If you have great bacon you don’t need this but this is a trick that will turn bad bacon into good and good into a sublime experience. Thick cut bacon put on parchment paper, brush very lightly with real maple syrup then bake until crisp but not burnt. It’s a BLT you will remember.

Very similar process of dredging the bacon in brown sugar and sheet baking it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't understand the appeal of chicken and waffles either, but not for the OP's reason. I just don't get the appeal of waffles. I've had chicken and waffles and thought the chicken would've been much better with some other starch, like grits or mash. But for breakfast, syrup can get all over my bacon or sausage and eggs along with the french toast (brioche!) and I'll lap it all up.

I'm generally not big on sweet with protein. I'm fine with BBQ, but I don't seek out BBQ the way most here do. I do like bulgogi, and while I generally can't stand fruit mixed in my entrees, I enjoy Moroccan food with apricots and dates mixed in, and prunes in a Polish bigos stew.

What I really detest is honey mustard. I love pretty much all kinds of mustard, but find honey mustard an abomination.

Reaction Score
Chicken and waffles, and fried chicken in general, are overrated beyond overrated. And don't tell me I haven't had it at the right place. I have.

Now, let's talk about a Coca Cola and Brown Sugar glaze on a ham? Yes please.

Reaction Score
Your problem may be using phony maple syrup. Only the real stuff is worthwhile. Even my granddaughters complain if we try to foist the phony stuff on them.

Reaction Score
Chicken and waffles, and fried chicken in general, are overrated beyond overrated. And don't tell me I haven't had it at the right place. I have.

Glazed ham over fried chicken? I’ve never rolled my eyes at your opinions more.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Glazed ham over fried chicken? I’ve never rolled my eyes at your opinions more.
And really, that's a pretty high standard, given the poster.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I don't understand the appeal of chicken and waffles either, but not for the OP's reason. I just don't get the appeal of waffles. I've had chicken and waffles and thought the chicken would've been much better with some other starch, like grits or mash. But for breakfast, syrup can get all over my bacon or sausage and eggs along with the french toast (brioche!) and I'll lap it all up.

I'm generally not big on sweet with protein. I'm fine with BBQ, but I don't seek out BBQ the way most here do. I do like bulgogi, and while I generally can't stand fruit mixed in my entrees, I enjoy Moroccan food with apricots and dates mixed in, and prunes in a Polish bigos stew.

What I really detest is honey mustard. I love pretty much all kinds of mustard, but find honey mustard an abomination.

Too many places can't do the waffle correct. Trying to get a big waffle that is crunchy on the outside and light and fluffy on the inside escapes most American restaurants.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Real Canadian bacon and real maple syrup. Not this fried ham crap being passed off as Canadian bacon. 1/4 inch cut of bacon with maple syrup made in Quebec by an 80 year old Québécois and four generations of his family.

Throw on a few pancakes or waffles to mop up the plate.

Whatever you do, don't finish it off with maple sugar candy. It's more toxic than candy corn.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Real Canadian bacon and real maple syrup. Not this fried ham crap being passed off as Canadian bacon. 1/4 inch cut of bacon with maple syrup made in Quebec by an 80 year old Québécois and four generations of his family.

Throw on a few pancakes or waffles to mop up the plate.

Whatever you do, don't finish it off with maple sugar candy. It's more toxic than candy corn.

I'll vouch for this. Had it over in France 4th of July 1997. Thick slabs of bacon slowly cooked to render out the fat and finished off with maple glaze.

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Buccees gas station has a cherry beef jerky. Best thing ever.
Buc-ee’s. Sheesh we spell everything wrong in this place! :)

There’s a sign on the PA Turnpike that says it’s 530(?) miles away. Lol. Think I heard they’re coming here to compete with Wawa and Sheetz.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
While I agree with all the comments: BBQ anything (one of my favorite smoker rubs has some maple sugar in it), Apples and Pork, Chicken and Waffles, and the rest, we can't forget Caribbean food. Yes, Jamaican Jerk and other spicy but fruity combinations with a wide range of tropical fruits represented (mango, pineapple, plantains). Delicious stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom