OT Swap (Off. Tackle) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT Swap (Off. Tackle)

Reaction Score
Would you explain this? Why is this a huge move? Plays are run right and plays are run left depending on personnel on both sides of the ball. what hash the ball is on, what is being disguised, and what the recent history has been to set up the next play. Think I am missing the point. Is the playbook so simplified that certain plays are only run right or only run left? I am puzzled.

For starters, seeing we don’t have a lefty QB there is that thing called the QB’s blind side.

Reaction Score
Would you explain this? Why is this a huge move? Plays are run right and plays are run left depending on personnel on both sides of the ball. what hash the ball is on, what is being disguised, and what the recent history has been to set up the next play. Think I am missing the point. Is the playbook so simplified that certain plays are only run right or only run left? I am puzzled.

It seems easy but moving from right to left tackle or left to right tackle is a big adjustment (and we're doing both). First, it's like going from being right handed to left handed except with your feet, everything is opposite. Second, the responsibilities are different, Left tackles protect the QB's blind side, defenses usually put their best pass rusher on their right versus the offensive LT. So that means an immediate upgrade in the pass rushers you face moving from RT. Going the other way left to right makes you the primary run blocking tackle.

This is a pretty good article, it's long but good stuff. Switching Sides | PFF News & Analysis | Pro Football Focus

From the article --- The bottom line is that we tend to take mechanics for granted when it comes to football. We might notice when a player uses sloppy technique, but few people consider the fundamentals when players move position or even change sides of the line. The Dallas Cowboys looked at their offensive tackles and thought that they were naturally suited for the opposite sides, but the pair have both struggled with the fundamental change in footwork and mechanics. The only question that remains now for the Cowboys and their fans is whether they will work through the transition, or whether both players are simply more comfortable with the technique on the opposite side of the line.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Once Ben Hur switched his tackles they performed much better after a bit of practice.

Reaction Score
Once Ben Hur switched his tackles they performed much better after a bit of practice.

That's what we are all hoping for. And maybe it's easier for younger horses who haven't been positioned as long. But it could take them a while to adjust to the switch.

Reaction Score

I just cracked a beer and sat down to ponder the miracle of mathematical probability that leads to a sub-segment of the population that could be BOTH 1) interested enough in football that they are posting on the message board of a pretty bad college football team during the dead of offseason, AND 2) not know the answer to this very basic football question.

I'd like to know more about you, sir.

Reaction Score
I just cracked a beer and sat down to ponder the miracle of mathematical probability that leads to a sub-segment of the population that could be BOTH 1) interested enough in football that they are posting on the message board of a pretty bad college football team during the dead of offseason, AND 2) not know the answer to this very basic football question.

I'd like to know more about you, sir.
Apparently RE2.0 thinks that it is not a big deal with both spring and summer to prepare since he is gonna go do it. So I wouldn't get my shorts in a twist about it if I were you. Carry on with the pontificating and the twitturbating. It suits you.

Reaction Score
Apparently RE2.0 thinks that it is not a big deal with both spring and summer to prepare since he is gonna go do it. So I wouldn't get my shorts in a twist about it if I were you. Carry on with the pontificating and the twitturbating. It suits you.

I'm not pontificating. Please don't mis-understand my raw wonder for mockery because the internets conceal emotion. I genuinely want to buy you a beer and chat. You are like a Northern Hairy-Nosed Wombat or a Pygmy Three-Toed Sloth. Aint many of you around.

I'm intrigued about you.

But on a serious note, your analysis of the timing of the move is precisely wrong. It doesn't mean he "thinks that its not that big a deal with both spring and summer to prepare." In point of fact, that he is doing it this early shows EXACTLY that he believes it is a big deal. He wants each of them to get as many reps as possible in their new positions, because they are actually quite different skillsets.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
But on a serious note, your analysis of the timing of the move is precisely wrong. It doesn't mean he "thinks that its not that big a deal with both spring and summer to prepare." In point of fact, that he is doing it this early shows EXACTLY that he believes it is a big deal. He wants each of them to get as many reps as possible in their new positions, because they are actually quite different skillsets.
What I am is a fan and multiple year season ticket holder although not last year (did get to four games though) and not likely this year either. I like to sit high on the press box side on the 50.

I find the culture here and some of the participants fascinating. I could probably write a book without much trouble. But let me instruct you a bit about playing nicely with others. All you had to politely say was Van Denmark is more mobile and agile and has a better body type to provide blind side pass protection against the edge rushers. See how easy that was? Without editorial comment.

Now to the difficulty of the players making the adjustment and thus the risk involved. Two ways to look at it. The spring and summer are enough time for the players to adjust and thus the risk is low. That was my thought but someone else thinks the risk is still high. Like throwing left handed instead of right, or something like that. Reading between the lines we could also conclude that the risk is indeed high but RE2.0 doesn't really have much to lose. He is looking at a 3 win season anyway because of the D. The worst that could happen is that this move wouldn't pay a dividend until 2019 (Peart's last year).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom