OT: Super Bowl Snacks | The Boneyard

OT: Super Bowl Snacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Better start planning now.

For some odd reason, there's been a run on liquid gold and there are regional shortages.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/01/07/news/companies/velveeta-shortage/

I honestly think that's immediate grounds for being fired from Kraft. You can store the stuff by the silo in the midwest for years on end. How do you let the stockpile fall low enough that you can't keep it in stores?

It takes a special level of indifference to have that happen on your watch.

On the bright side, might it be possible to score some "fresh" velveeta that hasn't "cured" for seventeen years prior to making it on the shelves?

Reaction Score
There was a A.P. news report recently that pizza houses & restaurants have their busiest day of the year for take out orders on Super Bowl Sunday. Does the same hold true for Subway, or places like Sliders that specialize in takeout wing orders? I'm thinking that those places will be phone off the hook busy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There was a A.P. news report recently that pizza houses & restaurants have their busiest day of the year for take out orders on Super Bowl Sunday. Does the same hold true for Subway, or places like Sliders that specialize in takeout wing orders? I'm thinking that those places will be phone off the hook busy.

I know last year there were stories about chicken wing shortages. Super Bowl Sunday is by far the busiest day of the year for chix wings.

The local place we get them from has a sign up sheet starting about two weeks out to guarantee your wings for the game. You have to pre-pay for your order and you can pick a time slot for pick up.

I imagine all of your sub shops are heavy that day too.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Velveeta and Rotel has it's place in the world, though this year I'm planning on making these :

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/01/moink-ball-recipe-grilled-beef-meatball-wrapped-in-bacon.html
I just ate lunch and my mouth is watering again.
20131215-277145-moink-balls-step-3.jpg

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Good question. Gotta figure they'll be delicious either way but I have no problem rollin my own. :)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So are you buying your meatballs from the frozen food aisle or rolling your own from scratch?

Good question. Gotta figure they'll be delicious either way but I have no problem rollin my own. :)

Gotta agree that if you roll your own you have better quality control of the product. Mix it too loosely and it falls apart. Pack them too tightly and the texture is too tough.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Nice marketing ploy by Velveeta to get people rushing out to buy their product. well done.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
MOINKS have been all the rage in the smoking (BBQ) world for a few years. Ive made them on my smoker a bunch of times. They are absolutely delicious
I've only just heard of them and I wish I heard of them sooner! Can't wait to try. I can definitely see these being in the tailgating lineup this year...

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Another ridiculously good one is Atomic Buffalo Turds. Some people douse them in grape jelly at the end but i don't like it. http://www.theblackpeppercorn.com/2012/03/atomic-buffalo-turd-jalapeno-poppers-aka-a-b-t/

Those look mighty damn good.

Mrs. Chin makes up some fantastic jalapeno poppers.

One variation to give some extra kick is to take the jalapeno seeds and put them in the skillet with the bacon. Render down the bacon about halfway before wrapping the boat. Loosens up the snot locker.

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
Jeezus- I thought Liquid Gold was a furniture polish!

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
My preferences from here in the Marvelous City:

1.Coxinha: Tasty fried balls of dough made with chicken broth instead of water, flour, and filled with shredded seasoned chicken, sometimes with Catupiry also (a kind of Brazilian cheese-wiz, only mcuh closer to real cheese.
coxinhas-de-frango.jpg

2. Pastel de Queijo- a fried pastrie with fresh Queijo de Minas (a fresh cheese from the state of Minas Gerais- kinda like a farmers cheese) inside. More delicious than it sounds.
IMG_4172.JPG

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
3. Meat Course- churrasquinho na espeto: little chunks of marinated beef and calabresa (smoked sausage) on a stick, grilled, then covered with molho a companha (chopped peppers, onions and tomatoes in vinegar, kinda like pico de gallo in Mexico) and dusted with toasted farina of manioc. Yum.

(The ones in his left hand (thats not me)).

upload_2014-1-8_21-8-41.png

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
4. Quejo Coalho- grilled cheese on a stick. Incredible.
upload_2014-1-8_21-28-6.png

EDIT: Forgot the pic!

Last edited:

RioDog

Block C Bozo
Reaction Score
6. Beverage- Cerveja Itaipava. A nice light, crisp beer. My preference in the hot weather (its summer here).

upload_2014-1-8_21-14-28.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak