OT: Summer movie thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Summer movie thread

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
I thought Age of Ultron was good and I'm really hopeful for Fury Road. I'm expecting Jurassic World to be a run of the mill blockbuster that is more or less predictable and disappointing.

As for later in the year, I don't know much about The Hateful Eight but I'll probably catch that in theaters just because it's Tarantino. I'm excited for Star Wars as well (but we've been burned before...).

Reaction Score
I'm interested in the new Terminator, but was annoyed that the most recent trailer gave away a huge twist in the movie. I don't understand the reasoning behind giving away this gigantic plot twist in a 2 minute trailer.

Reaction Score
I'm interested in the new Terminator, but was annoyed that the most recent trailer gave away a huge twist in the movie. I don't understand the reasoning behind giving away this gigantic plot twist in a 2 minute trailer.

I specifically avoided the new trailer for this reason.

Reaction Score
I specifically avoided the new trailer for this reason.
Smart, though I wouldn't be surprised if they implement the twist in all their marketing for the movie (posters and such). Hopefully you're able to make it without seeing/hearing anything about it...good luck.

Reaction Score
Now this is a thread that's right up my alley.... some others I haven't seen posted yet:

-Me and Earl and the dying girl... coming of age comedy/drama featuring Nick Offerman
-Self/less... rich old Ben Kingsley puts his brain into Ryan Reynold's body. I have weird taste in movies.
-Maggie... interesting new take on zombies with Arnold Schwarz......ger
-AntMan
-Transporter reboot
-Mr. Holmes.. Magneto as old Sherlock Holmes.
-Pixels... stupid Adam Sandler movie where aliens use video games to destroy the earth
-Southpaw... gritty boxing movie with Jake Gyllenhaal as a washed up fighter
-Fantastic 4 reboot
-Trainwreck... Amy Schumer and Bill Hader
-Masterminds... Zach Galiafanakis, Kristin Wiig, Jason Sudeikis try to rob a bank
-Straight Outta Compton... Not a huge NWA fan, but I like biopics.
-Hitman
-Black Mass... Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulger
-Spectre... new bond

Reaction Score

I've been watching Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles on DVD. That show is VERY good, can't believe I missed it the first time around. Just finishing up Season 1.

Summer Glau, holy sheet.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I just took my niece and nephew to see Avengers 2:confused: Terrible!
Gotta agree with @UConnSwag11 - Thought Age of Ultron was better than the 1st. I can understand why people would prefer the 1st, however. 1st was more more popcorn, black and white, good beats bad, and the main villain was goofy. 2nd movie introduced some profundity, some introspection, some clash of ideals. First was light and upbeat and happy, second was heavy and broody and melancholy. Can see why some would prefer each. I thought Age of Ulton had a very large shoe to fill. Thought it did so quite well. Loved the Romanov subplot.

Reaction Score
Now this is a thread that's right up my alley.... some others I haven't seen posted yet:

-Me and Earl and the dying girl... coming of age comedy/drama featuring Nick Offerman
-Self/less... rich old Ben Kingsley puts his brain into Ryan Reynold's body. I have weird taste in movies.
-Maggie... interesting new take on zombies with Arnold Schwarz.ger
-AntMan
-Transporter reboot
-Mr. Holmes.. Magneto as old Sherlock Holmes.
-Pixels... stupid Adam Sandler movie where aliens use video games to destroy the earth
-Southpaw... gritty boxing movie with Jake Gyllenhaal as a washed up fighter
-Fantastic 4 reboot
-Trainwreck... Amy Schumer and Bill Hader
-Masterminds... Zach Galiafanakis, Kristin Wiig, Jason Sudeikis try to rob a bank
-Straight Outta Compton... Not a huge NWA fan, but I like biopics.
-Hitman
-Black Mass... Johnny Depp as Whitey Bulger
-Spectre... new bond
Good list. Didn't know there was a Transporter reboot coming out.

Although that Pixels movie seems like a novel and interesting idea, Adam Sandler and his crew will probably ruin it.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Although that Pixels movie seems like a novel and interesting idea, Adam Sandler and his crew will probably ruin it.
The very nature of an idea like this necessitates a group of relatively unknown, up and coming actors. When you make it with established/past their prime actors it's going to be hard for viewers to not write it off as awful B level material.

Reaction Score
Gotta agree with @UConnSwag11 - Thought Age of Ultron was better than the 1st. I can understand why people would prefer the 1st, however. 1st was more more popcorn, black and white, good beats bad, and the main villain was goofy. 2nd movie introduced some profundity, some introspection, some clash of ideals. First was light and upbeat and happy,SECOND WAS HEAVY AND BROODY AND MELONCHOLY . Can see why some would prefer each. I thought Age of Ulton had a very large shoe to fill. Thought it did so quite well. Loved the Romanov subplot.

This film had more one liners than the first. Most of them not very funny and just over done.

Ultron was a lame villain and far more goofy than Loki. Lost his intimidation factor the minute he made some lame joke about forgetting what humans call their offspring.For a super intelligent AI connected to the world youd of thought he could create quite a bit of havoc besides just trying to blow stuff up. Instead of remaking his body with adamantium which he had a ridiculous supply of he chooses not to and pays for it at the end?

The Banner/Natasha romanced was so forced it was distracting. Btw (spoilers) after Ultron captures Natasha what possible reason did he have for keeping her alive? Oh thats right it was for Banner to show up out of nowhere and come to the rescue to force the love plot down our throats even more.

Why did Thor have to pick up an old friend to go to some random cave and take his shirt off to see visions? This seen is so bad that even the director of the film wanted it removed but was pressured to do so by Disney suits.

The pacing of the film was awful!

This is just scratching the surface of everything wrong with the film but if you enjoyed it more power to you.

Reaction Score
The very nature of an idea like this necessitates a group of relatively unknown, up and coming actors. When you make it with established/past their prime actors it's going to be hard for viewers to not write it off as awful B level material.

Unfortunately it was his production company that bought the rights to the short film that spawned the feature length film. Hopefully the pop culture references can help it rise above (that was a weird sentence to write). As an aside, if the idea of seeing a ton of videogame characters come to life is something interesting to anyone then you should read the book Ready Player One. Freaking AWESOME, with references to nearly every great nerdy pop culture icon of the 70's and 80's. Just awesome. Speilberg is currently attached to make it into a feature.

Anyway, movies I'm stoked for this summer:

Mad Max - The trailers look amazing, and from everything I've read it's just 120 minutes of non-stop action

Ex Machina - Haven't had a chance to see it yet, but writer/director Alex Garland has had a hand in a bunch of movies I've really liked and the trailers and reviews are fantastic.

Tomorrowland - I have faith in Brad Bird to direct another pretty decent live action film.

The Connection - The French side of The French Connection story. Looks great.

Entourage - I'm sure it'll just be fluff but I've always had a soft spot for the show.

Jurassic World - Chris Pratt as the leader of a pack of velociraptors? Sure, why not.

Inside Out - I'm a sucker for anything Pixar.

The Man From U.N.C.L.E. - Never seen the show, but I like a good spy movie, plus Guy Ritchie.

At some point I'll give Ant Man, Trainwreck (although the wife will probably want to see it), Terminator, Mission Impossible, and Vacation a try. Probably on Blu-ray if they end up being any good.

Later on in the year Black Mass, Crimson Peak, Bridge of Spies, Victor Frankenstein, Autobahn, Spectre, Rings, Hunger Games finale, The Martian(!), Midnight Special, The Good Dinosaur, and of course, Star Wars. They all have my attention.

As for Avengers, while I thought it was a good, fun movie, I didn't think it was as good as the first. And for me it was a product of the villain and his counter point, which I don't really want to discuss so as not to spoil anything.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Entourage will be exactly what we expect it to be, which will be very good.

The rest of the summer slate of movies looks a little thin. I am concerned that Black Mass will be another mobster glorification movie about a man who was horrible in real life.

Reaction Score
Entourage will be exactly what we expect it to be, which will be very good.

The rest of the summer slate of movies looks a little thin. I am concerned that Black Mass will be another mobster glorification movie about a man who was horrible in real life.

On the mobster glorification front, you're probably right, but at least it'll be interesting to see Depp get out of the drunken Jack Sparrow/Keith Richards persona he's been playing for the better part of 15 years.

Reaction Score
This film had more one liners than the first. Most of them not very funny and just over done.
Well, humor is certainly subjective. I thought the humor in this movie was much more subtle.
SPOILERS BELOW HERE
Certainly, Hulk smashing Loki and then walking away saying, "puny god" was understandable by all.
Ultron was a lame villain and far more goofy than Loki. Lost his intimidation factor the minute he made some lame joke about forgetting what humans call their offspring.For a super intelligent AI connected to the world youd of thought he could create quite a bit of havoc besides just trying to blow stuff up. Instead of remaking his body with adamantium which he had a ridiculous supply of he chooses not to and pays for it at the end?
I found Ultron interesting for exactly this reason. He was supposed to be insane, and I thought they captured that quite well. It was intended that he not be a linear thinking machine.
The Banner/Natasha romanced was so forced it was distracting. Btw (spoilers) after Ultron captures Natasha what possible reason did he have for keeping her alive? Oh thats right it was for Banner to show up out of nowhere and come to the rescue to force the love plot down our throats even more.
Probably should have used the word "spoilers" before the spoiler there.
It didn't seem forced to me. It really only amounted to 3 short scenes. I wish they had done more with it. Lot of people seemed to not like the matchup. Regarding the keeping Nat hostage, you're wondering about the rationale for a crazy machine with comprised AI in a Marvel comics movie? Personally, I wouldn't attend any of these movies if I was inclined to look for plot hole. The whole movie really is a plot hole. I suppose you could say, if you were arguing the AI guy was logical, that he wanted to use her as bait or as barter. Either would make sense. If you were inclined. But aren't you nit picking because you didn't like it?
Looking back an the first one, for example, Loki is standing in a room with Stark. Can fry him at any moment. But he doesn't, notwithstanding that Stark is one of a handful of humans who pose a threat to him. Why does Hulk walk away after smashing Loki? Just finish him. And 20 others. In every Marvel and DC movie.
. . . but if you enjoyed it more power to you.
I loved it. Thought it was a great movie. The place I saw it at has beer on tap, and so I had two large Blue Moons. Maybe that helped.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
On the mobster glorification front, you're probably right, but at least it'll be interesting to see Depp get out of the drunken Jack Sparrow/Keith Richards persona he's been playing for the better part of 15 years.
Well, granted he's made quite a bit of money and plenty of movies playing that kind of character, but that's not all.

George Jung in "Blow"
Morton Rainy in "Secret Window"
J.M. Barrymore in "Finding Neverland"
Sweeny Todd in "Sweeny Todd"
John Dillinger in "Public Enemies"
Frank Tupelo in "The Tourist"
Dr. Will Caster in "Transcendence"

So he's played some other characters. Granted the Pirate movies, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, Dark Shadows, Lone Ranger were all pretty similar characters.

Reaction Score
Well, granted he's made quite a bit of money and plenty of movies playing that kind of character, but that's not all.

George Jung in "Blow"

So he's played some other characters. Granted the Pirate movies, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Alice in Wonderland, Dark Shadows, Lone Ranger were all pretty similar characters.

Edward Scissorhands.

Reaction Score

George Jung in "Blow"

And I've seen all of those, plus more you didn't mention, save for the Tourist (geez, I watch too many movies). Although I didn't explicitly state it, yes he does more than that one character, I was just trying to say he's gone back to that particular well too many times.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
And I've seen all of those, plus more you didn't mention, save for the Tourist (geez, I watch too many movies). Although I didn't explicitly state it, yes he does more than that one character, I was just trying to say he's gone back to that particular well too many times.
That well pays pretty... well. :cool:

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Seriously?!?!?! There's a Point Break remake?!?!? Has Hollywood officially run out of ideas? Point Break is in the Enjoyably Bad Movie Hall of Fame. There is no reason whatsoever to remake it. None.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Seriously?!?!?! There's a Point Break remake?!?!? Has Hollywood officially run out of ideas? Point Break is in the Enjoyably Bad Movie Hall of Fame. There is no reason whatsoever to remake it. None.
But with characters like Johnny Utah and Bodhi, how can you not? :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom