OT: Steve Lavin's Epiphany | The Boneyard

OT: Steve Lavin's Epiphany

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://zagsblog.com/articles/st-joh...ment-lock-lavin-to-be-evaluated-after-season/

“I don’t think I’ve ever won a conference tournament game in the Pac-10 or the Big East, I don’t know if it has anything to do with our players,” Lavin said.

“I don’t think it’s [my team]. I’m just a poor Big East, I’m a poor conference tournament coach. We didn’t have one at UCLA either. … Probably the trend in the racing form is I don’t think I’ve ever won a conference tournament game as a coach in the Pac-10 or the Big East. I don’t think it has anything to do with our players.”

For context, he was defending the seniors on his team after being told they have never won a Big East tourney game.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He likely got them in the tournament. They should build him a statue.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
He's going to be fired.

How on earth are they considered a tournament lock?

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
The Big East is horribly overrated as a conference this year. It looks more like the SEC (Nova and seven dwarfs) than the ACC this year. Nova is raising the collective water level though.

Reaction Score
Steve Lavin anticipates a track meet, an NCAA Tournament opener between teams of similar styles both looking to push pace.

“San Diego State prefers an up-tempo style of play, similar to ours,” the St. John’s coach said. “My quick snapshot, before we start doing our film work, is that it will be an up-tempo affair.”

The only problem is eighth-seeded San Diego State doesn’t play fast. In fact, the Aztecs are a plodding team that averaged 61.8 points per game (305th in the country), is ranked 334th in tempo, according to the advanced stats website KenPom.com, and allows just 53.1 points per game, the second-fewest in the nation.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/16/steve-lavins-curious-san-diego-state-scouting-report/

Granted, he hasn't watched film yet, but thought it was just funny considering he was just talking about how he wasn't a good conference tourney coach.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
He likely got them in the tournament. They should build him a statue.
They should give him an ugly sweater vest.

Reaction Score
The quote about San Diego State is hilarious. Even though he hasn't watched film, you would think a college basketball coach might have a vague idea of what to think of their first round opponent.

Meanwhile, Chris Obekpa is suspended two weeks, which is kind of important when you consider he's one of their only two scholarship big men. They played just seven guys as it is. If the three St. Johns seniors - Pointer, Harrison, and Green - didn't murder him upon learning the news that they would be without an indispensable cog for the first NCAA Tournament game of their careers, I give them a lot of credit. It doesn't get more selfish than that.

Reaction Score
My question is how does the committee admittedly know of Obepka not playing and still keep them in the 8/9 slot?

Oh I know to hand the next one to Duke, that's why!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The quote about San Diego State is hilarious. Even though he hasn't watched film, you would think a college basketball coach might have a vague idea of what to think of their first round opponent.

Meanwhile, Chris Obekpa is suspended two weeks, which is kind of important when you consider he's one of their only two scholarship big men. They played just seven guys as it is. If the three St. Johns seniors - Pointer, Harrison, and Green - didn't murder him upon learning the news that they would be without an indispensable cog for the first NCAA Tournament game of their careers, I give them a lot of credit. It doesn't get more selfish than that.
Anyone think they know why he got suspended? Because to get 2 weeks at the start of the NCAA you would need to murder someone.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Steve Lavin anticipates a track meet, an NCAA Tournament opener between teams of similar styles both looking to push pace.

“San Diego State prefers an up-tempo style of play, similar to ours,” the St. John’s coach said. “My quick snapshot, before we start doing our film work, is that it will be an up-tempo affair.”

The only problem is eighth-seeded San Diego State doesn’t play fast. In fact, the Aztecs are a plodding team that averaged 61.8 points per game (305th in the country), is ranked 334th in tempo, according to the advanced stats website KenPom.com, and allows just 53.1 points per game, the second-fewest in the nation.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/16/steve-lavins-curious-san-diego-state-scouting-report/

Granted, he hasn't watched film yet, but thought it was just funny considering he was just talking about how he wasn't a good conference tourney coach.
So Steve Lavin has the kind of insights that'd get you laughed off the Boneyard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom