OT: State money well spent | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: State money well spent

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because the material isn't very expensive and it would look pretty crappy. See every sign where they swap out the governor's name.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not saying swap it out. I'm saying keep adding. Maybe it looks terrible but it doesn't seem like a stretch to find materials that don't.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Because the material isn't very expensive and it would look pretty crappy. See every sign where they swap out the governor's name.

The thing is that looks like a swap-out sign. In fact, the 2013 and Women's lines look new. Probably replacing 2011 and Men's.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I'm not saying swap it out. I'm saying keep adding. Maybe it looks terrible but it doesn't seem like a stretch to find materials that don't.

Let's just say there are a lot of rules for what highway signs are made of and what they look like. Stickers don't enter the equation.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Let's just say there are a lot of rules for what highway signs are made of and what they look like. Stickers don't enter the equation.

Well like Waq said that one looks like crap anyway... I'm pretty sure the technology exists to have a sign that would capture all the titles.

Reaction Score
Three guys working a three man job, supervisor holding the ladder, and the fifth is an incognito tranny hooker. If you are going to complain, complain that they are not driving a Prius.

Reaction Score
Typical state effort 5 guys to put up one sign. Probably was done on O.T. But , I do like the sign.

Ever work in traffic before? Oh yeah I'm sure the food cart passes by your desk once or twice a day.

graph1.jpg

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
In a day of electronic neon solar signs that can be programmed remotely...........or you hire 5 to change a sign after 3 others helped fashion the new sign.

Reaction Score
With the amount of taxes the Connecticut people pay there should be a high definition jumbo tron at every border of the state. The problem is your money is either embezzled by the politicians or soent on welfare

Reaction Score
Ever work in traffic before? Oh yeah I'm sure the food cart passes by your desk once or twice a day.

graph1.jpg

Where is your source? I can make my own graph showing that I get sh!toads more done day to day then a union counter part.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
In a day of electronic neon solar signs that can be programmed remotely...........or you hire 5 to change a sign after 3 others helped fashion the new sign.

With the amount of taxes the Connecticut people pay there should be a high definition jumbo tron at every border of the state. The problem is your money is either embezzled by the politicians or soent on welfare

This thread has become enough of an annoyance that I actually took the time to call some people.

Cost of 80 SF aluminum sign with required reflective lettering, installed. (About $500-1000)

Cost of variable electronic sign including wiring and control systems. $80k-$150k, installed depending on the electrical requirements and the size of the supports.

Geno may be good but he'd need to win 80 more titles to justify a better sign.

Reaction Score
Union and personnel.

State of CT has highest per capita workforce in country. DOT is a joke.

I don't doubt you work hard for you money as do plenty of others. I work for a firm that does work for the DOT and work with alot of DOT personnel. Quite frankly there's a boatload of deadweight. It could be a function of how they operate (which is completely backwards) or the personnel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
IM sure you could have put that sign up yourself, but I do like the effort of the guy holding up the ladder.
I like the guy who is watching the guy who is holding up the ladder. Classic.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My only complaint is why don't they just leave the sign up there? All you need to do is replace the last 2 numbers every once in awhile.
I'd like to see them all listed. But I do think the most recent one approach is kind of cool.

Reaction Score
No expert in signs nor overly interested in a DOT workers are great versus slackers debate, but does it appear they just updated a pre-existing sign? Replacing "2011" with "2013", and "Men's Basketball" with "Women's Basketball"?

Reaction Score
The sign is the same one that has been up for years. They just add/change the necessary text.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
These guys are getting paid whether they are in the break room or on the road. If there is no other project going on, what is the difference? The money is already in the budget. As long as the DOT doesn't go overfor the Fiscal year, what is the difference? Cheezus, worry about something that you can actually control!!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
These guys are getting paid whether they are in the break room or on the road. If there is no other project going on, what is the difference? The money is already in the budget. As long as the DOT doesn't go overfor the Fiscal year, what is the difference? Cheezus, worry about something that you can actually control!!

Now I finally have to chime in, based on my 1.5 years in service to the glorious state of Connecticut. Yes, post college I had that unfortunate distinction. Worked for the Dept. of Corrections in Hartford, in a brand new department that centralized purchasing of medical supplies and drugs for the prisons. On the whole...a money saver. Negotiated rates with big suppliers and bought in bulk. The prison pharmacists in particular had been very careless and paid too much all the time. I saved a few hundred thousand myself by finding overcharges on (mostly) AIDS drugs. AIDS drugs were a huge part of the budget by the way, at least then.

But. Nobody worked 5 minutes more than was required. I was shocked to find that at 10:15, our appointed Union 15 minute break...work ceased. People just hung up the phone and left. I was castigated for working through the break if I was engaged with a vendor. The full workweek was 36 hours. Nobody stayed late or put in any extra time. Towards the end of the fiscal year, we were always hundreds of thousands under budget. So that began a process of calling all the prisons and ordering as much new, but not needed stuff as we possibly could. Two year old Dental Chair....throw that out, I'll get you a new one! "Spend it all" was the mantra, less the budget be cut back the next year, to where it really should be. That was one tiny department. Multiply by thousands and you have hundreds millions of dollars wasted, every year. So I don't want to hear that the money was "in the budget". The budgets are grotesque bloated things that bear no relationship to the cost of providing the needed services. Any sensible Governor should incent every freaking manager in the state to come in under budget. It should be a mandatory part of their compensation. They could do it easily.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The full workweek was 36 hours. Nobody stayed late or put in any extra time.

Because it's hourly pay; not salary...

I'm not sure why you're of the belief that employees should work when they're not getting paid to...?

If you want to argue employees should be salaried so that they work as much as necessary, that's a different argument.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
...So I don't want to hear that the money was "in the budget". The budgets are grotesque bloated things that bear no relationship to the cost of providing the needed services. Any sensible Governor should incent every freaking manager in the state to come in under budget. It should be a mandatory part of their compensation. They could do it easily.

If this is news to anyone, then they are the ones out of touch. The current budget has already been approved and the guys are getting paid whether they are watching Jerry Springer in the break room or fixing the UConn Championship sign. The time for challenging the budget is before the fiscal year begins not while its currently going on.

Reaction Score
I assume everyone on this thread will be subtracting all their posting and reading time when they fill out this week's timesheet. It would certainly be ironic if everyone's employers wound up paying for time devoted to debating the work ethic and efficiency of state employees.

Reaction Score
Now I finally have to chime in, based on my 1.5 years in service to the glorious state of Connecticut. Yes, post college I had that unfortunate distinction. Worked for the Dept. of Corrections in Hartford, in a brand new department that centralized purchasing of medical supplies and drugs for the prisons. On the whole...a money saver. Negotiated rates with big suppliers and bought in bulk. The prison pharmacists in particular had been very careless and paid too much all the time. I saved a few hundred thousand myself by finding overcharges on (mostly) AIDS drugs. AIDS drugs were a huge part of the budget by the way, at least then.

But. Nobody worked 5 minutes more than was required. I was shocked to find that at 10:15, our appointed Union 15 minute break...work ceased. People just hung up the phone and left. I was castigated for working through the break if I was engaged with a vendor. The full workweek was 36 hours. Nobody stayed late or put in any extra time. Towards the end of the fiscal year, we were always hundreds of thousands under budget. So that began a process of calling all the prisons and ordering as much new, but not needed stuff as we possibly could. Two year old Dental Chair....throw that out, I'll get you a new one! "Spend it all" was the mantra, less the budget be cut back the next year, to where it really should be. That was one tiny department. Multiply by thousands and you have hundreds millions of dollars wasted, every year. So I don't want to hear that the money was "in the budget". The budgets are grotesque bloated things that bear no relationship to the cost of providing the needed services. Any sensible Governor should incent every freaking manager in the state to come in under budget. It should be a mandatory part of their compensation. They could do it easily.
I've heard stories from guys that there are state buildings full of unused chairs, desks and etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom