OT: Stain from dog on carpet | The Boneyard

OT: Stain from dog on carpet

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Hi all,

So my mom got brand new carpet upstairs about 6 months ago, and our older dog got sick all over it. Tried using laundry detergent with borax and warm water but still a big stain. She pooped this AM and we just got home and found it. Any tips?

Reaction Score
Have had pretty good luck with the Resolve for Pets. Hydrogen peroxide works well on blood stains and might do the trick for this as well.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hi all,

So my mom got brand new carpet upstairs about 6 months ago, and our older dog got sick all over it. Tried using laundry detergent with borax and warm water but still a big stain. She pooped this AM and we just got home and found it. Any tips?
I believe @Fishy is the resident expert on removing dog residue from a house. I believe Step 1 is buying one of these:
52a3e14c-c3e3-4ea1-b7dc-df71b7296036.jpg

Step 2 is sell your home.

Reaction Score
Hi all,

Baking soda --> let sit --> vacuum

Curiouser
Reaction Score
The Resolve pet stain product is decent.

If you are doing the baking soda and vinegar thing make sure you follow the steps exactly and give it a couple days before vacuuming. Google for the instructions.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
The Resolve pet stain product is decent.

If you are doing the baking soda and vinegar thing make sure you follow the steps exactly and give it a couple days before vacuuming. Google for the instructions.

If I'm understanding correctly, soak it with vinegar, then cover in baking soda, then let sit for a couple of days?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
If I'm understanding correctly, soak it with vinegar, then cover in baking soda, then let sit for a couple of days?
Yes. It's been a while since we've had to do it, but that sounds right. This is what I found:

“My best tip is for pet potty spots on the carpet. I use good old vinegar and baking soda. The steps are the important part. Pour enough vinegar to soak the stain and THEN add a small amount of baking soda. If you do the reverse, you will have a noisy, bubbly mess. Do it the right way, and you can hear the recipe cackling away, telling you how it is cleaning and deodorizing without leaving any residue. You need to let the spot dry for a day or two before sweeping up and then vacuuming. We cover the spot with a bowl or plate so that we don’t have baking soda kicked from heck to breakfast. You can actually see the yellow color being absorbed up into your little mountain of baking soda. Works on old stains too! Boo yaaaaaah!”

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Yes. It's been a while since we've had to do it, but that sounds right. This is what I found:

Yup...this is what I read too. Great, thanks. I think we're going to try resolve first, and then do the vinegar/baking soda. I feel terrible, as my mom is remodeling this house for the purpose of selling it and put good money into the carpets. She's pretty sad about it, so hoping this works.

I just thank God it wasn't my puppy that did the deed, because that would have led to my crucifixion

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Hi all,

shouldnt your mom or wife be asking this question on some messageboard?

good god man. Crack a beer and relax. Its not your job.

Jaybo

I hate you
Reaction Score
Stop putting detergents on it. the residue left behind is tacky and can cause the area to soil faster by collecting dirt.

If you want to do it yourself and you have a synthetic carpet not wool. First flush out all the stuff you put on it really good with cold water and a shop vac. Extract until almost dry.fan dry. Pour 3% hydrogen peroxide on it and leave it over night. Repeat again if needed. 3% hydrogen peroxide won't bleach the carpet. It only bleaches out organic stains such as blood,urine and dog crap.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hi all,

Wait for Fishy's suggestion should be the answer you're looking for.:oops:

Reaction Score
What kind of dog? You talking a serious load, or something diminimus?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
First, throw out the couch.

Second, make a mixture of Woolite, vinegar and baking soda - like a tablespoon of both and a cup of warm water.

Spray a lot on the stain and then try to blot it up with sponges.

It won’t be perfect. Your mom will still be sorta mad.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom