OT St John's AD stepping down | The Boneyard

OT St John's AD stepping down

Reaction Score
St John's is in a bit of a runt for the past 15 yrs. NYC is a basketball town and they r NYC's team. When St Johns win, NYC goes crazy. The problem is that St John's is a commuter school ala Louisville. It is also a catholic school so the Brothers will not allow the BS that goes on in most major schools. NYU needs to start a D1 basketball team with their billions in endowment

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see who they recruit into the gig -- Goff was at Hartford before going to Queens. Next AD may have to make a decision about Mullin, too.

Reaction Score
When St. John’s wins, NYC yawns.

On their best day over the past three decades, they were still swamped at home by UConn and Syracuse fans.

Stop it. I was at a local bar for the STJ-Maryland NCAA game in 1999. The place was deafening wit cheers for STJ that night. The UCONN-Duke game was mostly polite claps in the same bar the next wk. The problem with NYC now is that most of NYC r not from NYC. 90% of people from Manhattan r born outside of Manhattan. They don't have the long basketball traditions that people who grew up in the city and play in the catholic schools n summer leagues do. Terrence Mullin (Chris's brother), Jackie Ryan n John Starks played in my summer league. Now the basketball courts r empty even during the summer. Sad Sad and more sad[/QUOTE]

Reaction Score
St John's is in a bit of a runt for the past 15 yrs. NYC is a basketball town and they r NYC's team. When St Johns win, NYC goes crazy. The problem is that St John's is a commuter school ala Louisville. It is also a catholic school so the Brothers will not allow the BS that goes on in most major schools. NYU needs to start a D1 basketball team with their billions in endowment

Lol.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

NYU will never have the student or alumni support necessary to ever move beyond DIII. How are you this clueless?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Stop it. I was at a local bar for the STJ-Maryland NCAA game in 1999. The place was deafening wit cheers for STJ that night. The UCONN-Duke game was mostly polite claps in the same bar the next wk. The problem with NYC now is that most of NYC r not from NYC. 90% of people from Manhattan r born outside of Manhattan. They don't have the long basketball traditions that people who grew up in the city and play in the catholic schools n summer leagues do. Terrence Mullin (Chris's brother), Jackie Ryan n John Starks played in my summer league. Now the basketball courts r empty even during the summer. Sad Sad and more sad

You were in a bar 20 years ago?

Sorry, I didn't realize that you had done such extensive research.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Stop it. I was at a local bar for the STJ-Maryland NCAA game in 1999. The place was deafening wit cheers for STJ that night. The UCONN-Duke game was mostly polite claps in the same bar the next wk. The problem with NYC now is that most of NYC r not from NYC. 90% of people from Manhattan r born outside of Manhattan. They don't have the long basketball traditions that people who grew up in the city and play in the catholic schools n summer leagues do. Terrence Mullin (Chris's brother), Jackie Ryan n John Starks played in my summer league. Now the basketball courts r empty even during the summer. Sad Sad and more sad

Are your a and e keys (and a and d keys, too, for that matter) selectively broken?

Reaction Score
St John's is in a bit of a runt for the past 15 yrs. NYC is a basketball town and they r NYC's team. When St Johns win, NYC goes crazy. The problem is that St John's is a commuter school ala Louisville. It is also a catholic school so the Brothers will not allow the BS that goes on in most major schools.
Nose snorts! St John's is NYC's team, and absolutely nothing pear-shaped ever occurs under the tutelage of St John's bros and their cohorts. Chang, Gorman, Plock, et al :rolleyes:

Last edited:

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

That's not so much a reply as an evisceration.

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]

Quick -- how many years ago was 1999?

St. John's absolutely was NYC's team when Manhattan was less transient in the 70s and 80s. That fact doesn't make your post any less idiotic.

Reaction Score
[/QUOTE]

When gas was $1.30...you couldn't take pictures with a cell phone...and thousands of programmers were cashing in on the Y2K end of the world hysteria?

Reaction Score
NYU will never have the student or alumni support necessary to ever move beyond DIII. How are you this clueless?
Listen u boor from Storrs. NYU is a world class university with med, business n law schools that r nationally acclaimed. Their research n endowment r scores higher then that of UCONN. I worked with UCONN but I don't see the world through any Pollyanna eyes. NYU is a 21th century international institution. U need to get out of your little town n do some traveling. The NYU now is completely different from the NYU of your era

Reaction Score

I still go to Bars in NYC. I can assure u, St Johns is still NYC team

Reaction Score
Before I go too far off the deep end. I want to say that SH is doing a great job. She is taking the similar strategy that NYU n Boston Uni did in the 90s when I when to college. Those 2 schools were my safe choices. The joke among the high school students back then was that if they will take u if your family can afford the high tuition. Both took huge numbers of international students n charge then full tuition. They were able to expand their enrollment n make capital improvement with the money n build a world class university. SH is doing the same thing to a lesser degree. UCONN is good now but will be much better down the road through the investment in the sciences that she made. The only Caveat is that Storrs is no NYC or Boston. I just hope that she fires DB before she goes.

Reaction Score

When gas was $1.30...you couldn't take pictures with a cell phone...and thousands of programmers were cashing in on the Y2K end of the world hysteria?[/QUOTE]

Part of my law practice included advising clients concerning their legal obligations, their commitment to IT and the then upcoming Y2K issue and its’ possible impact on their contractual obligations. The result was indeed often corporate hysteria, but them again I did have kids in college...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The problem is that St John's is a commuter school ala Louisville. It is also a catholic school so the Brothers will not allow the BS that goes on in most major schools. NYU needs to start a D1 basketball team with their billions in endowment

What're you on about? They were paying players not 10 years ago. Received scholarship reductions and a post season ban.

Reaction Score
The lack of appetite for D1 sports in NY at NYU may only be superseded by FIT. Stop. Ridiculous.

Reaction Score
Listen u boor from Storrs. NYU is a world class university with med, business n law schools that r nationally acclaimed. Their research n endowment r scores higher then that of UCONN. I worked with UCONN but I don't see the world through any Pollyanna eyes. NYU is a 21th century international institution. U need to get out of your little town n do some traveling. The NYU now is completely different from the NYU of your era

Which relates to D1 sports how...?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Lmao

I’m sharing a chuckle with the diploma they just delivered to my mailbox today...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Oh those Catholic schools are so morally and ethically perfect........like BC putting Jay Murphy in night school to keep him eligible for example.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom