OT St John's AD stepping down | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT St John's AD stepping down

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
St. John's will never be relevant again, because they can't pay their players, and disguise it as "housing allowance," anymore. It's over. Turn out the lights.

Reaction Score
St John's is in a bit of a runt for the past 15 yrs. NYC is a basketball town and they r NYC's team. When St Johns win, NYC goes crazy. The problem is that St John's is a commuter school ala Louisville. It is also a catholic school so the Brothers will not allow the BS that goes on in most major schools. NYU needs to start a D1 basketball team with their billions in endowment
I agree. I remember as a kid when NYU was really good. I think if they started a D1 program, they could get it back real quick. They could hire Ollie, or Miller! ( just joking). I would love to see us playing a quality NYU team on a regular basis. What is the reason they droped BB? Anyone know? Do they have a D3 team? Same for CCNY. They actually won the NIT and NCAA in one year back in the early 50's.

Reaction Score
NYU will never have the student or alumni support necessary to ever move beyond DIII. How are you this clueless?
I am clueless about this. Enlighten me please. I am asking in a respectful tone. So please try not to be to sarcastic. I don't know why you think it should be common knowledge.

Reaction Score
The lack of appetite for D1 sports in NY at NYU may only be superseded by FIT. Stop. Ridiculous.
My wife went to FIT. They actually have a team. I think the uniforms were pink with a rainbow down the side ( no not really).

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
I agree. I remember as a kid when NYU was really good. I think if they started a D1 program, they could get it back real quick. They could hire Ollie, or Miller! ( just joking). I would love to see us playing a quality NYU team on a regular basis. What is the reason they droped BB? Anyone know? Do they have a D3 team? Same for CCNY. They actually won the NIT and NCAA in one year back in the early 50's.

NYU has dIII teams and had very good dIII men's and women's teams in the 90's. They hosted and won the dIII women's final four in '97.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I am clueless about this. Enlighten me please. I am asking in a respectful tone. So please try not to be to sarcastic. I don't know why you think it should be common knowledge.
NYU's movement from the Bronx to Greenwich Village led its transformation from an urban institution of moderate distinction to a full-fledged research university with excellent graduate schools. As with all such schools, the retail price tag is very high but there is also alumni & other support that has grown a large endowment.

To cement its ambition, NYU chose to affiliate 30 years ago with a geographically spread set of peer institutions that constitute a second wave alternative to the Ivy Leadue. Instead of dating back to the nation's founding or before, these schools have financial resources that tie, roughly speaking, to late 19th and 20th century fortunes in addition to broader civic minded support.

Universities of the University Athletic TheAssociation are Brandeis, Carnegie-Mellon, Case Western Reserve, Emory, NYU, U of Chicago, U of Rochester, Washington U (in St Louis). Powerhouse athletics is a non-starter.

Reaction Score
NYU's movement from the Bronx to Greenwich Village led its transformation from an urban institution of moderate distinction to a full-fledged research university with excellent graduate schools. As with all such schools, the retail price tag is very high but there is also alumni & other support that has grown a large endowment.

To cement its ambition, NYU chose to affiliate 30 years ago with a geographically spread set of peer institutions that constitute a second wave alternative to the Ivy Leadue. Instead of dating back to the nation's founding or before, these schools have financial resources that tie, roughly speaking, to late 19th and 20th century fortunes in addition to broader civic minded support.

Universities of the University Athletic TheAssociation are Brandeis, Carnegie-Mellon, Case Western Reserve, Emory, NYU, U of Chicago, U of Rochester, Washington U (in St Louis). Powerhouse athletics is a non-starter.
Thanks for the info. You mean there are schools actually concerned more with academics than sports??!! What is wrong with them?!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

I think you mean "The Egghead 8."

Reaction Score

I remember visiting Brandeis with our daughter 5 years ago and seeing a banner with all those schools listed and thinking "man, that's a spread out conference". Then the AAC came along...

Reaction Score
I remember visiting Brandeis with our daughter 5 years ago and seeing a banner with all those schools listed and thinking "man, that's a spread out conference". Then the AAC came along...
So there actually is a conference with these schools? I'm going to google it.

Reaction Score

CCNY was involved in the biggest point shaving scandal in the history of college basketball, it almost destroyed the entire sport.

So, they decided to take a step back.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Listen u boor from Storrs. NYU is a world class university with med, business n law schools that r nationally acclaimed. Their research n endowment r scores higher then that of UCONN. I worked with UCONN but I don't see the world through any Pollyanna eyes. NYU is a 21th century international institution. U need to get out of your little town n do some traveling. The NYU now is completely different from the NYU of your era
... and they are DIII in sports with a team nicknamed "the Violets." 'Nuff said.

NYU is great school (a bit self-serving since I have a degree from there) but it's sports are barely on the same planet as UConn.

Reaction Score
What're you on about? They were paying players not 10 years ago. Received scholarship reductions and a post season ban.
the brother president fire a MBB coach for cussin

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom