OT - Spirit Airlines? | The Boneyard

OT - Spirit Airlines?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
are they any good, worth the cheap prices? Hartford to Tampa is that too long to be on their planes?

Reaction Score
We've used Spirit a few times and more recently, Frontier, which operates on the same model. I was surprised that the in-air service was quite good. You do have to pay for everything, so be prepared for what seems to be an endless menu of choices. But their fares just can't be beat, especially when there's a sale.

A couple of tips: If it looks like you are going to use them regularly, consider joining their "clubs." These are in addition to the frequent flier groups. The clubs cost money but give you discounts -- sometimes substantial ones -- on fares and other things. Example: If you are inclined to check bags and they give embers a $10 discount and you get $10 off the flight as well, then that's $20, which is almost half the $50 club ,membership on that one flight., Only you can determine whether it's worth it for you.

Also, book our bags online when you get your ticket. It is a ton cheaper than doing it at the airport. Also, they will not guarantee you seats together unless you reserve your seats, which can cost at least $10 per seat, depending on location, We get around this because my wife is disabled and needs me with her, and they aren't allowed to split us up. And book flights early if possible,

In many cases, these ultra-discount companies are not worth it, so the right answer always is: compare everyone. And if you;'re booking early, don't forget Southwest, which ends to offer a few really good sales each year to certain locations., Just as an example, we are flying in January from Orlando to New Orleans for the Tulane game. We shopped and we're going to book soon on Spirit. We will fly for about $110 each, round trip. The next-closest fare was about $190 on Southwest. The other airlines were in the $300s.

Reaction Score
My understanding with Spirit is that you get what you pay for and they will offer you many things for which you will have to pay that are not covered in the air fare. Thankfully, airlines like this are still around to keep the mega-merged giants from gouging the occasional flier.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I too have been curious about Spirit..as they have recently started flying out of Greensboro. I looked at their fleet and they just use the Airbus Jet's.. A319, A320, and A321.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
seems that I'll use them... I'll take the "risk" smh

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
We've used Spirit a few times and more recently, Frontier, which operates on the same model. I was surprised that the in-air service was quite good. You do have to pay for everything, so be prepared for what seems to be an endless menu of choices. But their fares just can't be beat, especially when there's a sale.

A couple of tips: If it looks like you are going to use them regularly, consider joining their "clubs." These are in addition to the frequent flier groups. The clubs cost money but give you discounts -- sometimes substantial ones -- on fares and other things. Example: If you are inclined to check bags and they give embers a $10 discount and you get $10 off the flight as well, then that's $20, which is almost half the $50 club ,membership on that one flight., Only you can determine whether it's worth it for you.

Also, book our bags online when you get your ticket. It is a ton cheaper than doing it at the airport. Also, they will not guarantee you seats together unless you reserve your seats, which can cost at least $10 per seat, depending on location, We get around this because my wife is disabled and needs me with her, and they aren't allowed to split us up. And book flights early if possible,

In many cases, these ultra-discount companies are not worth it, so the right answer always is: compare everyone. And if you;'re booking early, don't forget Southwest, which ends to offer a few really good sales each year to certain locations., Just as an example, we are flying in January from Orlando to New Orleans for the Tulane game. We shopped and we're going to book soon on Spirit. We will fly for about $110 each, round trip. The next-closest fare was about $190 on Southwest. The other airlines were in the $300s.
yeah it seems that they are beating Southwest... but their carry-on on bags deals arent that great but does keep the price about $40-$80 cheaper. I wanted to bring just a carry-on but since they're going to charge me I'll just bring a whole damn suitcase (carry-on may be just enough for 3 days). I'm flying back on Southwest for the simple convenience and I think the price is cheaper (weird) as well.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
hopefully my 70lb weight loss is useful for the flight
Good for you. I am jealous. But I don't think that your weight loss entitles you to a discount. Perhaps you will be more comfortable though. And your fellow passengers will be too. Hey ,maybe if they gave weight loss discounts more of us would shed the excess baggage! :D

Reaction Score
I too have been curious about Spirit..as they have recently started flying out of Greensboro. I looked at their fleet and they just use the Airbus Jet's.. A319, A320, and A321.

Hey Triad do you know anything about High Point University which I think is near Greensboro? They've been sniffing around a few of our players..........

Reaction Score
seems that I'll use them... I'll take the "risk" smh

The fees arent that bad as long as you make your purchases while your purchasing your ticket. Prices are lower at that time , if you wait til afterwards you will be paying and arm and leg at the airport for luggage ect. I always pay for my bags during my ticket purchase , you get put into a different line to where your carry on or luggage is no longer checked because they see you have paid already. Zone 1 i believe those are exempt from luggage check

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Hey Triad do you know anything about High Point University which I think is near Greensboro? They've been sniffing around a few of our players.....

Yep... High Point is the third city of the Triad... about 15 minutes from the heart of Greensboro. Its the fastest growing college in the state.... its unbelievable how much the school/campus/stature has changed in the past 15 years. or so. Good school... nice campus.. ... ambitious President who is dedicated to elevating the school both academically and athletically. For example.. they hired Tubby Smith (Alum) for the Men's program. As far as women basketball goes...... they have been a above average team in the Big South... still looking for their first NCAA appearance. Their coach has been there around 6-7 years... so I dont see her going anywhere anytime soon. If any of your players decides on HPU..... at least they will be playing in the best lower mid-major arena when they arrive. They are building a 130 million dollar arena... scheduled to open in 2020. Paid for in straight cash :cool:

Reaction Score
Yep... High Point is the third city of the Triad... about 15 minutes from the heart of Greensboro. Its the fastest growing college in the state.... its unbelievable how much the school/campus/stature has changed in the past 15 years. or so. Good school... nice campus.. ... ambitious President who is dedicated to elevating the school both academically and athletically. As far as basketball goes. they have been a above average team in the Big South... still looking for their first NCAA appearance. Their coach has been there around 6-7 years... so I dont see her going anywhere anytime soon. If any of your players decides on HPU..... at least they will be playing in the best lower mid-major arena when they arrive. They are building a 130 million dollar arena... scheduled to open in 2020. Paid for in straight cash :cool:

One of the kids who took an unofficial said it was kind of like Disney World............now my kid wants to take a look although they have shown limited interest in her

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
One of the kids who took an unofficial said it was kind of like Disney World..now my kid wants to take a look although they have shown limited interest in her

Ha. They have spent millions on the campus...Ive heard that its very nice... with alot of amenities.

Another thing that has changed in the past 20-25 years.. is that when I was coming up... most of the students came from NC. Now..... the overwhelming majority of students are from out of state. So a northern kid coming down will be in the company of other northerners... as opposed to alot of us backwood southerners :oops: But once they step off of campus though........ :p

Reaction Score
Ha. They have spent millions on the campus...Ive heard that its very nice... with alot of amenities.

Another thing that has changed in the past 20-25 years.. is that when I was coming up... most of the students came from NC. Now..... the overwhelming majority of students are from out of state. So a northern kid coming down will be in the company of other northerners... as opposed to alot of us backwood southerners :oops: But once they step off of campus though... :p

I've heard that the town of High Point is not the greatest...............I remember my uncle who was a big wig in the furniture business used to go there every year to see the latest and greatest but I assume like most things, that business has gone offshore to some extent.......

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Their seats are like an old school bus.

You get what you pay for.
I sort of thought that... Im going to need 3hrs of good music smh

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
hopefully my 70lb weight loss is useful for the flight

41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score

Another thing that has changed in the past 20-25 years.. is that when I was coming up... most of the students came from NC. Now..... the overwhelming majority of students are from out of state. So a northern kid coming down will be in the company of other northerners... as opposed to alot of us backwood southerners :oops: But once they step off of campus though... :p
Interesting background info on High Point. I do know that their women's volleyball team has risen from obscurity to become one of the best mid-majors.

Reaction Score
Interesting background info on High Point. I do know that their women's volleyball team has risen from obscurity to become one of the best mid-majors.

from what I understand the students live in their own little bubble.................we may take a quick trip down there this Spring.........

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
from what I understand the students live in their own little bubble.......we may take a quick trip down there this Spring....

Sounds about right. The city doesnt offer much for the students....... but there are plenty of other colleges in the area if they are so inclined to interact with other college students. Plus the campus is an hour from Charlotte (depending on traffic) and the Triangle..... and about 3 hours from the beach..... 2 hours from mountains and skiing.

Reaction Score
are they any good, worth the cheap prices? Hartford to Tampa is that too long to be on their planes?
No, they aren't. As has been mentioned, you have to pay for everything and I mean everything including a number of things that come free of charge on any other airline. Then, their seats are the most uncomfortable seats in the fleet and don't recline. It's closer to a cattle car than it is to a top flight airline, IMHO. Just so you know, everyone I know who has ever flown Spirit, feels exactly alike.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
No, they aren't. As has been mentioned, you have to pay for everything and I mean everything including a number of things that come free of charge on any other airline. Then, their seats are the most uncomfortable seats in the fleet and don't recline. It's closer to a cattle car than it is to a top flight airline, IMHO. Just so you know, everyone I know who has ever flown Spirit, feels exactly alike.
I hear ya buddy, I never flew on Spirit and I'' find out in about 2wks from tomorrow. Seems like the price balances out to the normal price of other... Im flying back on Southwest, so I'll only suffer "one way"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom