OT, sorta: Bob Diaco fired | The Boneyard

OT, sorta: Bob Diaco fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Hopefully the next football coach, rumored to be Penn State's Joe Moorhead, can make the Huskies attractive to a power 5 conference. That will help the men's and women's basketball teams, too.

Happy New Year!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I am thrilled the AD made the decision, and decided not to drag out the disaster any longer. It's hard to fathom that Edsell was able to get the team to numerous bowl games, and made us a respectable program, but then the last 2 hires have been simply disastrous. Diaco had excellent pedigree - he was an asst for Notre Dame. His suckage, however, was incredible. Did not think we'd ever have a HC as bad as Pasqualoni...

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
also the talent... Im not sure a lot of good players are excited about playing UConn football. The practice facility is quality but there's just too many options other than UConn. Its going to take a situation like Geno when he first came to UConn... but convincing 80 players vs 12 is a huge difference

Reaction Score
The article says that he's owed $3.4 million in a buy-out. And then there is the multi-millionaire contract for his successor. I believe someone here pointed out that the UConn women's entire program costs $7 million a year. So just the head coach(es) will cost Connecticut about half that over the next couple of years. But somehow, it's football that controls what the athletic program does?

Talk about unfair!

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score
Hopefully the next football coach, rumored to be Penn State's Joe Moorhead, can make the Huskies attractive to a power 5 conference. That will help the men's and women's basketball teams, too.

Happy New Year!
Rutgers tried Dick Anderson of Penn State and he went 28-33-4 (Although he did beat Penn State once)

Reaction Score
Rutgers tried Dick Anderson of Penn State and he went 28-33-4 (Although he did beat Penn State once)
And to think RU would sell their souls to the devil to be able to go 28-33-4 again.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
A 43.0% winning percentage would be a significant improvement over Diaco's 29.7%. And I'll be the first to admit that I'm not anywhere near a football expert but even I can see a poorly coached, poorly managed team.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
The article says that he's owed $3.4 million in a buy-out. And then there is the multi-millionaire contract for his successor. I believe someone here pointed out that the UConn women's entire program costs $7 million a year. So just the head coach(es) will cost Connecticut about half that over the next couple of years. But somehow, it's football that controls what the athletic program does?

Talk about unfair!
If the football team becomes successful, it could make tens of millions of dollars. It's a long term investment that was going in the right direction under Edsall but went off the rails when Jeff Hathaway made the disasterous decision to hire Paul Pasqualoni.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
If the football team becomes successful, it could make tens of millions of dollars. It's a long term investment that was going in the right direction under Edsall but went off the rails when Jeff Hathaway made the disasterous decision to hire Paul Pasqualoni.

I don't follow UConn's football (mis)fortunes closely but even I recall the uproar when a big booster made a big stink about the Pasqualoni hire. What sounded like "Who does he think he is?":mad: back then gradually morphed into something like, "Gee, he was right!":rolleyes:

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well, this will be interesting because Morehead just made a commitment to PSU for next season last week. He now has an amazing group of offensive players for next at all positions and 5 star athletes coming in. PSU can very possibly be a playoff team next year. So he will have a team likely to take him directly to a P5 school after next season.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
BD appeared to be a really nice person but he is in way way over his head. Great talker but not really a HC material. Great move by the AD Benedict.
He is a "Great Talker," alright. Never, at any level, have I heard a head coach criticize his assistants so much. (you do that with the coaches in private). And, he showed great team spirit by wearing a bright RED shirt at every game.....Go Blue+White!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
OTE="Monte, post: 1952752, member: 5888"]He is a "Great Talker," alright. Never, at any level, have I heard a head coach criticize his assistants so much. (you do that with the coaches in private). And, he showed great team spirit by wearing a bright RED shirt at every game.....Go Blue+White![/QUOTE]

Not a red shirt....

IMG_0287.JPG

Reaction Score
He is a "Great Talker," alright. Never, at any level, have I heard a head coach criticize his assistants so much. (you do that with the coaches in private). And, he showed great team spirit by wearing a bright RED shirt at every game.....Go Blue+White!
He learned how to submarine his assistants from Kelly at ND. Sure was happy to see Kelly take it between the eyes this year.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
According to 247 Sports, after Diaco pulled in the 61st ranked recruiting class in his 1st year, which is not bad for a non-P5 school, his next 2 classes ranked 115th & 100th. That's not going to get it done and it bodes ill for whoever inherits the program.

Frankly, the football program scares the hell out of me. The state has a budget crisis, UConn football is burning through millions of $$$ and the hope of joining a P5 conference appears to be a lost cause.

Reaction Score
The article says that he's owed $3.4 million in a buy-out. And then there is the multi-millionaire contract for his successor.

Guess they won't be fixing the roof at Gampel this year either ........

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Moorhead worked at UConn previously and was the offensive coordinator during two of Edsall's best years. And he turned around a morbid Fordham program in the Patriot League. Team was very exciting offensively. And he's done wonders for Penn State's offense. I think this would be a solid hire.

GOPSUSPORTS.com Joe Moorhead Bio :: Official Athletic Site of Penn State :: Official Athletic Site of Penn State :: Football

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
OTE="Monte, post: 1952752, member: 5888"]He is a "Great Talker," alright. Never, at any level, have I heard a head coach criticize his assistants so much. (you do that with the coaches in private). And, he showed great team spirit by wearing a bright RED shirt at every game.....Go Blue+White!

Not a red shirt....

View attachment 17961 [/QUOTE]
It was in the laundry that day; look at his pants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom