OT...Sorry Amazon Fire Stick | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT...Sorry Amazon Fire Stick

Reaction Score
I have to get moms off cable and the $190/month. She isn't rich.

I am focused on getting the Amazon Fire Stick (via BY access portal). I get she'll be able to see the streaming services when set up but what about channels we all get on cable like NatGeo Wild, or AMC? And what about the local stations like WFSB and WTNH?

Does she need internet access to use it? Or can she just turn on the tube and start watching?

I swore off cable a couple of years ago & never looked back. Firestick is good, and after trying Sling TV for awhile I switched to YouTube TV which gives me more bang for my buck at around $55 monthly and includes Espn, cbss, nfl, nba, mlb, BTN, SECN, ACCN, plus all the other channels your mom probably likes. For me, as long as i can get all the sports channels, I’m good.

Reaction Score
Stop service for a week, then go online and signup for their latest/greatest offer. You'll be good for two years, then you'll have to rinse and repeat. Or, simply reduce her cable plan to the lowest minimum service, wait a week and go online to again find the latest and greatest. Then, just call them. It's a PIA, but it's worth it.

Reaction Score
Stop service for a week, then go online and signup for their latest/greatest offer. You'll be good for two years, then you'll have to rinse and repeat. Or, simply reduce her cable plan to the lowest minimum service, wait a week and go online to again find the latest and greatest. Then, just call them. It's a PIA, but it's worth it.
Or just put the service in your name and switch back to hers when your deal expires. Do that with my wife and i every 2 years.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
@Dove , if you don't know your mail-person well........you're about to.

IMG_2067.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Slightly related--but what is going to be the best way to see our away games (and probably home games) this season? I just got rid of cable, so I've never had to consider it before. I think we will have games on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, CBS, CBSSN, Fox, FS1. I'd also like to get NBC Sports Boston and NBA TV for the celtics if possible.
YouTubeTV covers all those. Every last one.

Reaction Score
YouTubeTV covers all those. Every last one.

Seems to be what people have been saying when I ask. Any experience with Hulu +TV? I believe they have all the stations I'll need as well and it's a little cheaper.

Reaction Score
Seems to be what people have been saying when I ask. Any experience with Hulu +TV? I believe they have all the stations I'll need as well and it's a little cheaper.
Hulu TV (which I maybe switching to) is a bit shady In their pricing in my opinion. You have to pay up to be able to skip commercials on their DVR, increase storage on the DVR, and be able to use it on mobile devices. It’s like $1 less than YouTube TV. But they have YES channel As well as the Fox Sports channels.

Reaction Score
We have one series 8 downstairs in the cave, and 6's everywhere else.

The 8 is the sharpest television I've ever owned, colors pop, it's remarkable. Watching sports on the 8 is a great experience, no blurriness at all.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Hulu TV (which I maybe switching to) is a bit shady In their pricing in my opinion. You have to pay up to be able to skip commercials on their DVR, increase storage on the DVR, and be able to use it on mobile devices. It’s like $1 less than YouTube TV. But they have YES channel As well as the Fox Sports channels.

You don't have to pay extra to watch on your phone.

Reaction Score
Or you can jailbreak the fire stick and get everything everywhere for free.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
"I'm listening..."

Attachments

• Frasierfrasierbanner.jpg
    Frasierfrasierbanner.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 106
Reaction Score
We have one series 8 downstairs in the cave, and 6's everywhere else.

The 8 is the sharpest television I've ever owned, colors pop, it's remarkable. Watching sports on the 8 is a great experience, no blurriness at all.
So the 8 is worth the extra $1200? I have be able to dazzle my wife with logic.

Reaction Score
We got the 8 on a ridiculous deal @ Best Buy for $1200 alone! I haven't seen it anywhere close to that since, I still don't know how that was even possible...

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Something else to consider when getting internet... Get your own modem and router. These would be one time costs as opposed to renting the modem/router combo from Comcast. Just make sure you get a router and modem that can provide the speed you'll need. Amazon will say if the modem is Comcast compatible and you'll need to call Comcast to give them the serial # so they can verify if the signal is going there. As far as router goes, I recommend the Netgear NightHawk. Signal is good and the speed is good. Love the dual bands.

Reaction Score

What app are you using on your broken stick? I had TeaTV and Terrarium and both are dead for me.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Fire Stick is too slow and clunky IMO, I'm a Roku honk for life.

We have 4 TCL Roku TVs in the house, can't imagine doing it another way.

I have a TCL Roku TV. It isn't any faster than my newer FireStick. The recent 4K FireStick works great.

Reaction Score
Okay, so she'll still need Comcast for the internet. At least we can ditch the excessive cable cost and the box.
When you sign up for Internet only ask for Flex, it's included for free. You will get a small free box with lots of free streaming from Peacock TV (NBC) and Pluto TV.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
When you sign up for Internet only ask for Flex, it's included for free. You will get a small free box with lots of free streaming from Peacock TV (NBC) and Pluto TV.

I didn't even ask, they just sent it with the tech when he came to install the internet.

Reaction Score
I have a TCL Roku TV. It isn't any faster than my newer FireStick. The recent 4K FireStick works great.

I 0% believe that. No offense, but the interface moves like molasses.

Reaction Score
I routinely use roku on one tv and fire stick on another. Both are fine. I really don’t have a preference.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I routinely use roku on one tv and fire stick on another. Both are fine. I really don’t have a preference.
Which one do you use to transact business, add/drop apps etc? Roku is superior for me on that front.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom