OT: Songs with great guitar riffs | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Songs with great guitar riffs

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Just a head up (and I know it won't matter cause people are gonna post whatever they want) but "riffs" and "solos" are different things.

The definition of a riff is a short rhythm phrase used in music, that is often played when a soloist is performing or when chords and harmonies are changing. An example of a riff is a repeated phrase that is used to lead up to an improvisational solo or used behind a solo in a song. An educational interlude just for you. :D:rolleyes:

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Meyers, gonna take you at your word, don't know riff from solo; but I love the guitar on this the best version of this wonderful song.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers, gonna take you at your word, don't know riff from solo; but I love the guitar on this the best version of this wonderful song.

Buckley always does some nice work. But I hate that song soooo much. Probably more than any other song ever made. (and yes I know I'm in a very small minority here, but I just don't get it).

dogged1

like a dog with a bone
Reaction Score
Buckley always does some nice work. But I hate that song soooo much. Probably more than any other song ever made. (and yes I know I'm in a very small minority here, but I just don't get it).

Good to know we disagree on some things. I'm certain if you listened to/ read the lyrics you'd get the metaphors. But, just as a point of curiosity, is it the poetry or the melody you dislike?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Good to know we disagree on some things. I'm certain if you listened to/ read the lyrics you'd get the metaphors. But, just as a point of curiosity, is it the poetry or the melody you dislike?
Oh I've listened to it too many times. I understand the song/lyrics, just don't understand why anyone would write it or listen to it.

I think it's both the lyrics and the melody now. Can't listen to it for more than a couple seconds now before I have to turn the channel or turn it off. Wasn't that way the first couple of time I heard it. It might have to do with everybody and their mother tries to sing it and acts like it is the greatest song ever written.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Another pretty well known one. I believe Ed King came up with this one. Although he'd quit and been replaced by '77 with Steve Gaines.
And no they don't like the Governor (it's Boo, boo, boo)

Sweet Home Alabama - Lynyrd Skynyrd

I did not live here in Alabama when this song was written. And in 1977 George Wallace was the governor . There was a law against consecutive terms in the state back then, but he was serving his third term. He went on to serve a fourth term later , having run unsuccessfully for President of the United States several times. Governor Wallace was serving his final years in office when I moved to the Birmingham area in 1985. I have no idea whether the band members loved him, but there were many in Alabama that did. Beyond that, I always understood the lyrics to read "boo,hoo, hoo " rather than boo,boo,boo. And that seems to fit into the tone of rebuke to Neil Young that the song espouses. In spite of all that hooey, I like the song and it has withstood the test of time rather well. I must also add a disclaimer, stating that I have been wrong on lyrics many times before. But to answer the song's main question, my conscience does not bother me, even though Watergate did.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
It is certainly covered way too often, and treated with a reverence I am not sure it deserves. I dislike most most versions, but cannot match your aversion to it. Hating that song makes you unique, in some special, misanthropic way! :p

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Another pretty well known one. I believe Ed King came up with this one. Although he'd quit and been replaced by '77 with Steve Gaines.
And no they don't like the Governor (it's Boo, boo, boo)
When the lyrics are searched for, the phrase is as @Bama fan posted: "boo, hoo hoo".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom