OT: Songs/Bands | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Songs/Bands

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Love hearing that, I really wish more people knew about him. He's such an awesome artist and a great guy. Ike's other best buddy is Dave Lowery who you might know from Camper Van Beethoven but probably more likely Cracker who had major commercial success in the 90's.

Cracker - Get Off This [Official Video]

I'm gonna have to check out your Ike guy. Don't know a lot about Lowery, but I was a fan of CVB and thought Cracker was an improved version of Weezer.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
Songs that grew on me:

Runaway- Kanye
Super Freak- Rick James
He’s So Shy- Pointer Sisters

Songs I immediately loved:

Crime in the City- Neil Young
Comedown/Lightenup- Parcels
Althea- Grateful Dead

Who I thought would be bigger:

Anders Osborne

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
'I am the highway'-Audioslave
'Master of Puppets'-Metallica
'Maggie's Farm'-RATM cover
--------------------
'Run to the Hills'-Iron Maiden
'Ace of Spades'-Motorhead
'Peace Sells'-Megadeth

Reaction Score
Saw them in North Adams this summer. Came away a big fan of Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit.

Nice! The Solid Sound Festival I went to was back in 2017. They had put it up to a fan vote as to what album they would play for their first set of their first evening. "Being There" won, with "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" coming in second place.

So Wilco opened that Friday evening with those first notes of "Misunderstood," and played that entire double LP for the set.

They then came out for their encore, and it opened with [BEEEEEYRRRRRRRRRRRRRR] "I am an American aquarium drinker, I assassin down the avenue..." so yeah, they played "I am Trying to Break Your Heart" during their encore. My wife excused herself to the ladies room cuz you know, we were getting ready to head back to our hotel about 30 min south....but by the time she came back? They'd busted into Camera, which meant they were playing "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" as their encore.

It was a fun night.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
This thread is bringing up all sorts of stuff I hadn't thought of In years. Like mixtapes/CDs. I miss those. I think there's a big difference between texting or DMing a friend to check out such and band or song and having them curate a bunch of songs they think you'd appreciate in one neat package.

Reading that someone here liked Hothouse Flowers this morning got me thinking of my favorite song of theirs, "Thing of Beauty", which has a gospel feel to it. And then out of nowhere tonight my brain sends up a song I hadn't listened to in like 25 years. It was on a CD mixed by an old friend of mine who had moved from CT to VA and he gave it to me on a visit in the early 90s. It had a bunch of post-punk, alternative, and new romantic stuff on it, and then one song that was an outlier. And that outlier was the one I kept hitting repeat on on the drive home. It was the only song of his in my music collection. I was surprised my friend liked it enough to put it on the CD, and even more surprised after seeing the artist's name on the label that I fell in love with it.

It's weird and fascinating the associations one's brain makes.

Reaction Score
Songs that grew on me
Party in the USA. Miley Cyrus. Now a guilty pleasure
Touch of Grey. Grateful Dead
You got what I need. Biz markie

Songs I loved first time
How soon is now. The Smiths. Runaway #1 on this list
Mrs potters lullaby. Counting crows. Opening piano line and the patient rolling style of that song ..,,,
Territorial Pissings. Nirvana. First time I heard/saw it was hung over on a Saturday and they were playing live in the MTV studio. Cobain was hanging from the rafters. Game changer

Bands that should’ve been bigger. Saw World Party listed above. Great call. Would add XTC to that and any of the Bob Mould iterations. Husker Du. Sugar. Etc
XTC - That's all on Andy Partridge with his stage fright. They were basically England's R.E.M. Maybe even better, cuz Skylarking was at least as good as Automatic for the People.

Damn, I love both of those bands. I think I'm mad at myself for my post.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't say U2 was "huge" by the time the Waterboys released their first album, but they were big. They had just finished the War tour at that point. But here's an interesting nugget you'll likely enjoy - if you consider War was U2's breakthrough album and This Is the Sea was the Waterboys breakthrough album, they shared a common thread: in both cases it was the first time the respective bands worked with and featured Steve Wickham.

I don't know if you own the live CD from Glastonbury, but damn. That's when Scott first broke out his cover of Purple Rain. A whole lot of people who said they were there said it was the best show they'd ever seen. And for those not familiar, if you want to see a band rip, check out the back half of this show. They really were something live.

They're not featuring a fiddler these days since Wickham went into semi-retirement, and I don't like what I'm hearing.

The Waterboys is such a good band. It's not just a band where you celebrate their music when drunk with friends. Mike Scott is on a mission.

[drops mic]

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know anything about World Party, never heard of them. But if you're telling me the guys from the Waterboys are involved, I'm interested.

In hindsight the Waterboys should have been my answer to "band that should have been bigger". First concert I attended with my wife at House of Blues in Boston. Didn't know the Waterboys then. Whole of the Moon was one of our featured wedding songs. Fisherman's Blues is also tremendous. U2 was already huge though, before these guys even made a record.

Fiona Apple did a really good cover of Whole of the Moon. A bit darker than the original but she nails it. It was in the show The Affair (a show that doesn’t get the love it should)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The Waterboys is such a good band. It's not just a band where you celebrate their music when drunk with friends. Mike Scott is on a mission.

[drops mic]
I love the body of Scott's work overall. But there were some turds in there. Universal Hall in particular.

Reaction Score
Some bands that I have been getting into recently for those interested:

Backseat Lovers
Car Seat Headrest
TV Girl (Pretty niche sound but I love a lot of their stuff)
Khruangbin (Really cool jammy band)
Marlon Funaki (Really talented guitarist)

Car Seat Headrest taps the same vein as Television. Hell yes.

Reaction Score
I love the body of Scott's work overall. But there were some turds in there. Universal Hall in particular.
If there weren't turds in there, the artist would ascend!

Every band craps a note or three.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom