1) Dance Yrself Clean-LCD
2) Half the World Away-Oasis
3) Rocky Raccoon-Beatles

Three songs I liked as soon as I heard them

1) Lover, you should have come over-Jeff Buckley
2) It Makes no Difference-The Band
3) The District Sleeps Alone Tonight- The Postal Service

Reaction Score
100% Agree on Ike Reilly. He is huge Chicago to Minneapolis, but only just found that regional success. I was hooked after the first 10 seconds of The Boat Song on local college radio.

The Clarks are another band with a similar profile. If you go to Pittsburgh everyone is going to know that band, but nothing happened for them outside of their hometown.
Just pulled up The Clarks on YouTube. After a couple minutes I can already tell they're really good.

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
100% Agree on Ike Reilly. He is huge Chicago to Minneapolis, but only just found that regional success. I was hooked after the first 10 seconds of The Boat Song on local college radio.

The Clarks are another band with a similar profile. If you go to Pittsburgh everyone is going to know that band, but nothing happened for them outside of their hometown.
Blink-182 should be buying them daily lunch....

Reaction Score
Songs that grew on me:
Every Journey Song. I always knew they were talented but growing up when Journey was huge I wrote them off as a band for girls. Say whatever you want about Journey but that is one hell of a band and Steve Perry is among the greatest singers of all time.
REM- Losing my Religion
the Killers - Mr Brightside

Songs I absolutely loved the first time I heard them:
Jeff Buckley - Grace, I saw him at Toad's Place and I was absolutely blown away by him. As talented as he was he was also one of the kindest people I've ever met.
Third Eye Blind- Semi Charmed Life, I've been a massive 3EB fan ever since.
Post Malone - Circles, I had no idea who this was when I first heard this song but I freely admit I absolutely love Post Malone and it all started here.

Reaction Score
Hmm. I remember hating Someday by The Strokes when it was on the soundtrack of MVP 05 and now I love Is This It. And I remember hearing Dance Yrself Clean at a party and thinking wtf is this. Now I love most LCD Soundsystem. And maybe Halfway House from TV on The Radio. It went from the song I skipped most on that album to a favorite.

For songs I loved from the start, I would say Runaway Kanye and Grindin Clipse. I don’t think I had heard similar production. And Radiohead Reckoner.

Reaction Score
Hmm. I remember hating Someday by The Strokes when it was on the soundtrack of MVP 05 and now I love Is This It. And I remember hearing Dance Yrself Clean at a party and thinking wtf is this. Now I love most LCD Soundsystem. And maybe Halfway House from TV on The Radio. It went from the song I skipped most on that album to a favorite.

For songs I loved from the start, I would say Runaway Kanye and Grindin Clipse. I don’t think I had heard similar production. And Radiohead Reckoner.
LCD was so odd to me initially but I love them now. Went to two shows at BK Steel and looking to go again this year.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Songs that grew on me:
Every Journey Song. I always knew they were talented but growing up when Journey was huge I wrote them off as a band for girls. Say whatever you want about Journey but that is one hell of a band and Steve Perry is among the greatest singers of all time.
REM- Losing my Religion
the Killers - Mr Brightside

Songs I absolutely loved the first time I heard them:
Jeff Buckley - Grace, I saw him at Toad's Place and I was absolutely blown away by him. As talented as he was he was also one of the kindest people I've ever met.
Third Eye Blind- Semi Charmed Life, I've been a massive 3EB fan ever since.
Post Malone - Circles, I had no idea who this was when I first heard this song but I freely admit I absolutely love Post Malone and it all started here.
I am happy to report that 3EB is still incredibly fresh among the youth. I have been working on my 12 year old to listen to "real music" basically all her life. She's generally receptive to most things but three stand out.

1) Fleetwood Mac
2) Neko Case
3) 3EB

In regard to 3EB, I tell her THAT was pop music in my day lol. She's since got her entire bball team going on it. They truly are incredible, we are all fortunate the radio man had the balls to put their first album out. It's a different album now that we know what they are talking about haha.

If your kid doesn't get into them, you might be screwed.

Gutter King

Reaction Score
Just pulled up The Clarks on YouTube. After a couple minutes I can already tell they're really good.
What I appreciate the most about the Clarks is that they are just a great, no frills Rock and Roll band behind Scott Blasey's unique enough voice. They have an awesome live album out there that captures their essence perfectly.

Reaction Score
Ike Reilly- he's one of the best song writers of the last 25 years. I've probably seen him 40 times and last year we would shut down my friend's bar and turn it into a little music venue and Ike would come in from the burbs one night a week to play for us. He would bring his sons along to play with him sometimes. Always great.

Ike Reilly is great! I only saw him once - Mercury Lounge in NYC - the band was great.

Gutter King

Reaction Score
I'm glad this thread is going well. I didn't know if it was wise to drop it as the season is ramping up. The best thing about music threads is that people post bands I'm not familiar with and I can go and listen to them.
The World Party mention by you and others is a good example. Never heard of those guys in my life, but they are incredible.

For the segment of the population that just can't get enough music, threads like these can be a goldmine.

Reaction Score
Some bands that I have been getting into recently for those interested:

Backseat Lovers
Car Seat Headrest
TV Girl (Pretty niche sound but I love a lot of their stuff)
Khruangbin (Really cool jammy band)
Marlon Funaki (Really talented guitarist)

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm glad this thread is going well. I didn't know if it was wise to drop it as the season is ramping up. The best thing about music threads is that people post bands I'm not familiar with and I can go and listen to them.
I love being introduced to new stuff by people who share my tastes. At the same time, what's interesting about reading through this thread is that there are a number of posts featuring bands/songs I don't really care for all that much, but that same post also has a song by another artist that I love.

Music unites.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
The World Party mention by you and others is a good example. Never heard of those guys in my life, but they are incredible.
Karl Wallinger made his name in the Waterboys, which is another band that was huge in Europe and elsewhere, but only had one hit over here and some sparse FM radio play. Wallinger contributed music and lyrics to two Waterboys albums, "This Is the Sea" (which was on many "best albums of 1985" lists), and "A Pagan Place", which preceded it. I strongly recommend a listen to "This Is the Sea" in its entirety and original album order to anyone interested in Wallinger's music. There's a reason many music critics at the time felt The Waterboys would be bigger than U2, and it's in this album. They were also a tremendous live act, one I've seen four times, both in New England/NYC and Pittsburgh.

How this plays into this thread is that another band I loved in the 90s was Black 47, an Irish pub band that was very popular in NYC. They had two local/regional FM hits, "Funky Ceili" and "Maria's Wedding", but never broke nationally, a fate shared by many other bands mentioned here. I first saw them at the old Globe in Norwalk, then another four times, including three times in Pittsburgh, one of which was at an Irish music festival in what is now the Riverhounds stadium, where on the bill was another Irish band, the Hothouse Flowers (mentioned upthread). The reason I was familiar with the Hothouse Flowers was because of hearing the song "Thing of Beauty" which I heard on an indie station and thought it was a new Waterboys song as the lead singer's voice sounded the Waterboys singer, Mike Scott. And then I heard the Flowers whole set and became a fan of theirs. It was kinda like having my own personal live version of Pandora.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Karl Wallinger made his name in the Waterboys, which is another band that was huge in Europe and elsewhere, but only had one hit over here and some sparse FM radio play. Wallinger contributed music and lyrics to two Waterboys albums, "This Is the Sea" (which was on many "best albums of 1985" lists), and "A Pagan Place", which preceded it. I strongly recommend a listen to "This Is the Sea" in its entirety and original album order to anyone interested in Wallinger's music. There's a reason many music critics at the time felt The Waterboys would be bigger than U2, and it's in this album. They were also a tremendous live act, one I've seen four times, both in New England/NYC and Pittsburgh.

How this plays into this thread is that another band I loved in the 90s was Black 47, an Irish pub band that was very popular in NYC. They had two local/regional FM hits, "Funky Ceili" and "Maria's Wedding", but never broke nationally, a fate shared by many other bands mentioned here. I first saw them at the old Globe in Norwalk, then another four times, including three times in Pittsburgh, one of which was at an Irish music festival in what is now the Riverhounds stadium, where on the bill was another Irish band, the Hothouse Flowers (mentioned upthread). The reason I was familiar with the Hothouse Flowers was because of hearing the song "Thing of Beauty" which I heard on an indie station and thought it was a new Waterboys song as the lead singer's voice sounded the Waterboys singer, Mike Scott. And then I heard the Flowers whole set and became a fan of theirs. It was kinda like having my own personal live version of Pandora.
I don't know anything about World Party, never heard of them. But if you're telling me the guys from the Waterboys are involved, I'm interested.

In hindsight the Waterboys should have been my answer to "band that should have been bigger". First concert I attended with my wife at House of Blues in Boston. Didn't know the Waterboys then. Whole of the Moon was one of our featured wedding songs. Fisherman's Blues is also tremendous. U2 was already huge though, before these guys even made a record.

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score

Funny thing about the Strokes: Julian Casablancas went on to solo some, and his dad, get this, is the legendary John Casablancas, or "the guy who create Elite Modeling Agency". There might have been a Netflix spec on him.

Reaction Score
Songs I grew to love:
Superstitious by Stevie Wonder (and Chili Peppers)
Natural Science by Rush
Disposable Heroes by Metallica

Songs I loved from jump (probably thousands)
Jump by Van Halen (too easy not to take the segue)
Sweet Dreams by Air Supply
Rocky Mountain High by John Denver

Musician I thought would be bigger: a different take (made it somewhat big but crashed and burned)
Living Colour (first album was amaziNg, second was good. Style was
Invigorating and fresh. Then …
GNR ( were big, even huge for a minute but my younger self thought
they’d have a 20+ year rock god Rolling Stones/Zeppelin type
impact)
Michael Buble ( mostly a jazz standard guy but after “Home” I thought
he’d crank out new original stuff and crush it)

Reaction Score
Songs I grew to love:
Superstitious by Stevie Wonder (and Chili Peppers)
Natural Science by Rush
Disposable Heroes by Metallica

Songs I loved from jump (probably thousands)
Jump by Van Halen (too easy not to take the segue)
Sweet Dreams by Air Supply
Rocky Mountain High by John Denver

Musician I thought would be bigger: a different take (made it somewhat big but crashed and burned)
Living Colour (first album was amaziNg, second was good. Style was
Invigorating and fresh. Then …
GNR ( were big, even huge for a minute but my younger self thought
they’d have a 20+ year rock god Rolling Stones/Zeppelin type
impact)
Michael Buble ( mostly a jazz standard guy but after “Home” I thought
he’d crank out new original stuff and crush it)
Guns N' Roses could've been huge as long as they wanted but the ego and drugs got in the way of it. Axl's voice also went to crap before he was getting them back together.

Agree on Living Colour, they're unique and awesome and should've been bigger. I've seen them a couple times in recent years and their energy is still off the charts. Corey Glover still has the voice.

Reaction Score

For the segment of the population that just can't get enough music, threads like these can be a goldmine.
I never heard of World Party either, looked them up and a member from The Waterboys who passed away started them. My dad turned me onto The Waterboys many years ago. First video that popped up for me for World Party on YouTube is this. What an amazing song.

Reaction Score
Ike Reilly is great! I only saw him once - Mercury Lounge in NYC - the band was great.
Love hearing that, I really wish more people knew about him. He's such an awesome artist and a great guy. Ike's other best buddy is Dave Lowery who you might know from Camper Van Beethoven but probably more likely Cracker who had major commercial success in the 90's.

Cracker - Get Off This [Official Video]

Reaction Score
This is fun. Most of the "didn't like at first" stuff I now realize is due to non-standard time signatures. I have found that when one of these hit, they become EVEN MORE of an earworm for me b/c of the unique time signatures

Didn't like at first but now love
  • Weird Fishes/Arpeggi (Radiohead)
  • All of Kid A besides Optimistic (liked that immediately)
  • Live in Salt (The National)
  • Obstacle 1 (Interpol)
  • Stacy's Mom (Fountains of Wayne) - thought it was cheesy initially but slowly realized how well written it was - it's a Cars "Just what I needed" tribute
  • The whole Loveless album (My Bloody Valentine)

There are more but these just come to mind immediately

Reaction Score
Three that grew on me............

Relayer album - Yes
Thriller album - Michael Jackson
Kinda Blue album - Miles Davis

Liked right away..............

Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
In Memory of Elizabeth Reed - Allman Brothers
The Yes Album (especially Starship Trooper - Yes

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm from a different generation than most here, and don't have the foggiest notion who most of the bands/groups/artists mentioned in this thread are. I'm sure that if I mentioned many of the artists/bands I truly like no more than a tiny percentage of yarders would have any idea who I'm talking about, either. So I'll limit my choices to more recent artists. Bear in mind that my 'recent' and most of your 'recents' may be 20 or 30 years apart.

Songs I didn't like at first but grew on me:
Mister Calhoun - Sugar Queen & the Straight Blues Band
Old Me Better - Keb' Mo
Corrina - Taj Mahal Trio

Songs I absolutely loved first time I heard them:
Paradise by the Dashboard Lights - Meatloaf
She's Gone - Hall & Oates
Lovin' Feeling -- Righteous Brothers

A band I really liked (and still listen to their music) that never got as popular as I thought they should.
Sanford & Townsend Band

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I don't know anything about World Party, never heard of them. But if you're telling me the guys from the Waterboys are involved, I'm interested.

In hindsight the Waterboys should have been my answer to "band that should have been bigger". First concert I attended with my wife at House of Blues in Boston. Didn't know the Waterboys then. Whole of the Moon was one of our featured wedding songs. Fisherman's Blues is also tremendous. U2 was already huge though, before these guys even made a record.

I wouldn't say U2 was "huge" by the time the Waterboys released their first album, but they were big. They had just finished the War tour at that point. But here's an interesting nugget you'll likely enjoy - if you consider War was U2's breakthrough album and This Is the Sea was the Waterboys breakthrough album, they shared a common thread: in both cases it was the first time the respective bands worked with and featured Steve Wickham.

I don't know if you own the live CD from Glastonbury, but damn. That's when Scott first broke out his cover of Purple Rain. A whole lot of people who said they were there said it was the best show they'd ever seen. And for those not familiar, if you want to see a band rip, check out the back half of this show. They really were something live.

They're not featuring a fiddler these days since Wickham went into semi-retirement, and I don't like what I'm hearing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom