OT: Songs/Bands | The Boneyard

OT: Songs/Bands

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I heard a song on the radio today and it prompted me to start this thread.
Name 3 songs that you didn't like when they were released but have grown on you over time.
1. Emotional Rescue - Stones
2. Tusk - Fleetwood Mac
3. Fool In The Rain - Zep
Name 3 songs you loved the first time you heard them.
1. Black Dog - Zep
2. Seven Nation Army - White Stripes
3. Impossible Germany - Wilco
Lastly, name a band you really like that never got as popular as you thought they would.
1. World Party

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Karl Wallinger's death back in March hit me hard. Dude was brilliant. Really thought World Party was going places with Goodbye Jumbo, but they ran into grunge. He'd been rumored to be releasing new music for years, but nothing came. Was lucky to see WP and Karl at Toad's on his first US tour. "Ship of Fools" is as relevant now as it was then. I love that you mentioned them as your choice.

Songs I didn't like at first but grew on me:
Heroes - Bowie
Buffalo Station - Wizzard
Vanity Fair - World Party

Songs I absolutely loved first time I heard them:
Losing My Religion - REM
Kelly's Heroes - Black Grape
and what I consider the Holy Trinity of power pop: Go All the Way (Raspberries), Baby Blue (Badfinger), Alex Chilton (Replacements)

As for band that never got as popular as I thought they would, you already took my #1 choice, so I'll go with Be Bop Deluxe. Never understood how Bill Nelson was overlooked when discussing guitar gods of the 70s.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Tiny Dancer - Elton John
The Funeral - Band of Horses
I'm Amazed - My Morning Jacket

Name 3 songs you loved the first time you heard them.
Hold on - Alabama Shakes
On The Dark Side - John Cafferty
Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve

Name a band you really like that never got as popular as you thought they would.
Shakey Graves

Reaction Score
Three songs that grew on me (really, I just had to grow up and realize their greatness through the wisdom of years gone by):
Running on Empty - Jackson Browne
Cool Change - Little River Band
An American Dream - Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Three songs I liked immediately (off the top of my head):
Avant Gardener - Courtney Barnett
All American Alien Boy - Ian Hunter
Goin' Against Your Mind - Built to Spill

Lastly, name a band you really like that never got as popular as you thought they would:

Sloan

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I'd have to think about songs that grew on me.

Songs I liked right away:
1. Smells Like Teen Spirit
2. Fly Away, Lenny Kravitz
3. Whole Lotta Love

Band that never made it as big as I thought??? Cowboy Mouth

Reaction Score
I also have to agree on World Party @storrsroars. You were very fortunate to catch one of the best underrated bands live, and Toads of all places. Karl Wallinger was a genius. @QDOG5 I have to say I thougt WP was going to be big.

Where Is My Mind - Pixies
Smells Like Teen Spirit - Nirvana
Purple Rain - Prince

Mystery Train - UFO
Walk On - John Hiatt
This House is Empty Now - Elvis Costello

As for a band you really like that never got as popular as you thought they would.
Widowmaker (1976 British band) Not the Dee Snyder one.

There are so many songs for both categories that I didn't mention. Just too many.

Reaction Score
Nels Cline is the man. One of my favorite Wilco songs.

I'm a big Wilco guy.

Last time I saw them in Asheville in April of last year...Tom Verlaine had passed away earlier that past winter. First song Handshake Drugs opener and Nels is teasing Marquee Moon during his solo, and then later in the show during Impossible Germany he again revisited it. Just an absolutely beautiful way to remember him. Fans who realized it were going nuts, too.

Reaction Score
Band that never got as popular as they should have: My late 70’s early 80’s self says MSB, the Michael Stanley Band.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm a big Wilco guy.

Last time I saw them in Asheville in April of last year...Tom Verlaine had passed away earlier that past winter. First song Handshake Drugs opener and Nels is teasing Marquee Moon during his solo, and then later in the show during Impossible Germany he again revisited it. Just an absolutely beautiful way to remember him. Fans who realized it were going nuts, too.
Glad to see Tom mentioned. When I posted his death as an RIP thread here, was greeted with crickets and derision. Marquee Moon was a great tune.
Band that never got as popular as they should have: My late 70’s early 80’s self says MSB, the Michael Stanley Band.
Pride of Cleveland (after the Raspberries). I had a couple of MSB cassettes I played regularly. Good solid rockers, regionally popular and charted a few times, but never had the one national breakout hit like Beaver Brown or Greg Kihn.

Reaction Score
Songs I didn’t like when released but now I like them:

1) Teenage Dirtbag - Wheetus
2) I Want It That Way - Backstreet Boys
3) Dancing On My Own - Robyn

Three songs I liked as soon as I heard them

1) See No Evil - Television
2) Wishful Thinking - Wilco
3) Everybody’s Talkin’ - Harry Nielsen

Band I like that never got as popular as I thought they would: Beach House. After their Teen Dream album I thought they’d explode. However, they’ve been steadily doing their thing for like 20 years now.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I'm a big Wilco guy.

Saw them in North Adams this summer. Came away a big fan of Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
TVC15 - Bowie
Tripping on a Hole - STP (This is more of a "didn't appreciate it for the rock anthem that it is" rather than a didn't like)
Signs - Creed

Down to my Last - Alter Bridge
Live Oak - Jason Isbell
6th Avenue Heartache - The Wallflowers (As a 12 year old this song stopped me in my tracks in the Sears radio aisle. The slide/drums/keys intro of this song is something else.)

As for a band you really like that never got as popular as you thought they would:

Our Lady Peace - Huge in Canada, never broke through in the states in a significant way.

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
One Headlight - The Wallflowers
Palo Alto - Radiohead
Head Like a Hole - NIN

Greek Tragedy (Oliver Nelson Remix) - The Wombats
Next To You - The Revivalists
Frankie & Albert - Taj Mahal

As for a band you really like that never got as popular as you thought they would:
Houndmouth

Reaction Score
Songs that grew on me
Party in the USA. Miley Cyrus. Now a guilty pleasure
Touch of Grey. Grateful Dead
You got what I need. Biz markie

Songs I loved first time
How soon is now. The Smiths. Runaway #1 on this list
Mrs potters lullaby. Counting crows. Opening piano line and the patient rolling style of that song ..,,,
Territorial Pissings. Nirvana. First time I heard/saw it was hung over on a Saturday and they were playing live in the MTV studio. Cobain was hanging from the rafters. Game changer

Bands that should’ve been bigger. Saw World Party listed above. Great call. Would add XTC to that and any of the Bob Mould iterations. Husker Du. Sugar. Etc

JerseyAlum

St. Anthony's Fan; UConn tennis alum
Reaction Score
I worked a decade in the music industry so my tastes are a little more obscure...

Songs that grew on me:
  1. Anything from Pearl Jam
  2. Mama's and the Papa's - Creeque Alley
  3. Charmed by Stella and Redinho

Songs I loved the first time:
  1. Band of Horses - The Great Salt Lake (hint: not about Utah)
  2. Frightened Rabbit - Good Arms vs Bad Arms
  3. Diamond Veins - French 79
  4. Wildfires - Sault
  5. Took A While - Neil Frances

Bands I thought would have done better:
  1. We Were Promised Jetpacks

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I Will Survive - Gloria Gaynor
Dancing Queen - ABBA
Kiss You All Over - Exile

Baker Street - Gerry Rafferty
More than a Feeling - Boston
Sweet Child of Mine - G n R
(every Beach Boys hit)

Lastly, name a band you really like that never got as popular as you thought they would.
Solo - Anna Nalick (first album was terrific she was so appealing in the Breathe video).
Bands - Big Head Todd & The Monsters, Crash Test Dummies.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hated Neil Young all my life. Now I like Neil Young.

A song I loved instantly? God Only Knows by the Beach Boys.

A band that should have been bigger? The Wonders.

Neil Young has some wonderful tracks that many people don't know. He was an underrated lyricist. God Only Knows is just auditory joy.

Reaction Score
Some of those 90's songs that were played on the radio all the time I didn't like at the time and now I love

Third Eye Blind- How's It Gonna Be
Counting Crows- Round Here
Filter- Take a Picture

Songs I instantly loved

Talk Talk- Life's What you Make it
The Band- Don't Do It (Marvin Gaye cover)
Cat Stevens- Trouble

Big Head Todd and the Monsters. I still listen to them all the time and never get sick of them. I'll never understand how Todd Park Mohr never became huge. He has the voice, the playing, the stage presence and the look.

Ike Reilly- he's one of the best song writers of the last 25 years. I've probably seen him 40 times and last year we would shut down my friend's bar and turn it into a little music venue and Ike would come in from the burbs one night a week to play for us. He would bring his sons along to play with him sometimes. Always great.

Gutter King

Let me drop a deduce on ya
Reaction Score
Some of those 90's songs that were played on the radio all the time I didn't like at the time and now I love

Third Eye Blind- How's It Gonna Be
Counting Crows- Round Here
Filter- Take a Picture

Songs I instantly loved

Talk Talk- Life's What you Make it
The Band- Don't Do It (Marvin Gaye cover)
Cat Stevens- Trouble

Big Head Todd and the Monsters. I still listen to them all the time and never get sick of them. I'll never understand how Todd Park Mohr never became huge. He has the voice, the playing, the stage presence and the look.

Ike Reilly- he's one of the best song writers of the last 25 years. I've probably seen him 40 times and last year we would shut down my friend's bar and turn it into a little music venue and Ike would come in from the burbs one night a week to play for us. He would bring his sons along to play with him sometimes. Always great.

100% Agree on Ike Reilly. He is huge Chicago to Minneapolis, but only just found that regional success. I was hooked after the first 10 seconds of The Boat Song on local college radio.

The Clarks are another band with a similar profile. If you go to Pittsburgh everyone is going to know that band, but nothing happened for them outside of their hometown.

Reaction Score
Songs I didn't like that grew on me:
My Sharona - The Knack (but maybe more so their power pop classic LP it came from)
Fire - The Ohio Players
Right Back where we Started From - Maxine Nightingale
Beverly Hills - Weezer

Songs I loved instantly (I tried to cut the list down LOL):
Bittersweet - Big Head Todd & the Monsters
S.O.S. - ABBA
Nights on Broadway - Bee Gees
What a Crying Shame - the Mavericks
Mrs. Robinson - The Lemonheads
Evil Woman - E.L.O.
Lowdown - Boz Scaggs
Dizz Knee Land - Dada