OT - Solution for the One and Done?? | The Boneyard

OT - Solution for the One and Done??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Posted elsewhere, but maybe deserves its own thread?

What about this scenario?

They should allow the players to be drafted out of HS, or at any time, you don't have to declare. But what they have to do is get rid of guaranteed contracts. If the player opts for school then the player can go to (or stay in) school and the team retains the rights for up to 3 years. If, after any season, the team and the player feel he is ready, he can leave, but he'll have to earn his spot.

This way the Lebrons can go straight to the NBA. You'll get some one and done players but only because they are ready to leave and confident they'll earn a spot. You'll get some players, like Daniels last year, who can get drafted as a junior, come back and develop as a senior finish their degree, and then try to earn that spot. You'll get guys going to teams that can truly develop their talent. You'll inevitably end up with guys who don' t need college not making a mockery of it. Those who are unsure if they can earn that spot or not will have to continue to hit the books to stay eligible in school while they develop. Guys can have the security of a "preferred tryout" (guaranteed summer league spot/d league spot), while staying in school to earn their degree.

If a player is drafted but returns to/stays in school, he must remain academically eligible throughout the academic year, or the school will forfeit one scholarship for the next season, and the player is forced to pay a fine of 10% of his first contract to a reputable charity. So once you commit to school, you can't bail after the season, you have to finish that school year, and you're not eligible to play in the NBA until the summer league before the next season.

If you're drafted after exhausting your college eligibility, normal rules apply.

This system would be similar to baseball, except the teams retain rights. The NBA would have to beef up the D-League and add a round or two I think. One problem is how does a school manage scholarships? I think the easiest fix would be to keep the dates the same for declaring for the draft, except it would be declaring you're foregoing the rest of your eligibility.

So all the guys at Kentucky today, could have been drafted a year (or two) ago. The Harrison twins could stay, the guys worried about being second round picks could stay. The top talent in the country left undecided would have to pick among other schools. Maybe they have 10 draft picks on the roster, but only 5 are actually leaving. The other 5 are sticking around for a year or two.

I think this would be better for everyone.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'm to lazy to read this whole thing. But I think you're saying what I've always thought. Have high school players who wish to go straight to the nba apply and make a test or something that would determine if they get in. And in my dream world you'd have to wait 2 years out of high school. Maybe you could apply again after your first year, so kids like that Syracuse freshman can't leave before they are ready.

Reaction Score
I'm to lazy to read this whole thing. But I think you're saying what I've always thought. Have high school players who wish to go straight to the nba apply and make a test or something that would determine if they get in. And in my dream world you'd have to wait 2 years out of high school. Maybe you could apply again after your first year, so kids like that Syracuse freshman can't leave before they are ready.

Cliff notes:

Anyone can be drafted, and go to/return to college. Teams retain rights for 3 years. Players must remain academically eligible.

Pros:
"Lebrons" go straight to league.
"Kwame Browns" maybe develop, then figure out they should get go ahead and get their degree.
"Harrison Twins" Stick around and develop/see where it goes.
"Deandre Daniels" get to finish school and develop right here against better comp/with better coaching.

Allows the small minority of pro ready players to go be pros. Makes students remain students until they declare. Players allowed to develop in college with security of guaranteed summer league roster spot/tryout.

Cons:
??

Reaction Score
You could also add a clause that a player drafted out of HS that doesn't earn a roster spot is guaranteed a 1 year position as a practice assistant, a scout, or some front office intern provided that he has earned his degree. Or they can go play in a foreign league.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Cliff notes:

Anyone can be drafted, and go to/return to college. Teams retain rights for 3 years. Players must remain academically eligible.

Pros:
"Lebrons" go straight to league.
"Kwame Browns" maybe develop, then figure out they should get go ahead and get their degree.
"Harrison Twins" Stick around and develop/see where it goes.
"Deandre Daniels" get to finish school and develop right here against better comp/with better coaching.

Allows the small minority of pro ready players to go be pros. Makes students remain students until they declare. Players allowed to develop in college with security of guaranteed summer league roster spot/tryout.

Cons:
??
Wait are you saying you want pros who are 3 years in or less to have the option to go to/back to college?

Reaction Score
Wait are you saying you want pros who are 3 years in or less to have the option to go to/back to college?

LOL. "Pros" = "positives" ("Cons" = "Negatives")

I'm saying anyone can be drafted but doesn't have to go the NBA, there's no declaring eligibility any more. The team and player can decide together after he's been drafted if he's ready, or if they want to let him go to, or remain in, school for another year (or 2 or 3) to develop. But if he chooses school, he's committing to that full academic year, not just the season. And after any season, once he "declares" for the NBA, he's giving up his eligibility permanently. The "declaration" date could be the same as it is now for the draft, but since you've already been drafted, you're basically just giving notice that a scholarship is open.

Reaction Score
Interesting ideas. However, my one problem with it is that college ball literally turns into the minor leagues. I know they already are, but at least they try to hide it. Your model doesn't even try. Still, it's a much better theory than some others (like that guy who said scholarship slots should freeze if someone leaves early). I've always been a big supporter of mirroring the baseball rule, except 2 instead of 3 years. I think 3 is too many for basketball, where players are usually able to compete right out of school, unlike baseball.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
My idea is that anyone who wants to go to the league can go whether it be d league, overseas or the league. If you don't go to the NBA or overseas and choose college, you have to stay for two years. No one is forcing the kids to go to college. They have options out of high school. If they are not chosen they can attend college but have to stay for two years. One thing I would like to add is any agents contacting any kids in college before the end of their two years will lose there agent status with the NBA for 3 years. Or if they purposely guide the kid to choose the NBA with the knowledge they will not make it

Reaction Score
Pretty sure they had something like that in the past. Larry Bird didn't come out right away but didn't the C's own his rights when he did graduate because of a previous draft or trade? It seems to me Red came up with a beauty in the late 70's to secure him.

Anyway nothing will change unless it benefits the NBA, they don't give a rats a** about the kids and they're fine with the minor league culture which is the NCAA for now.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Pretty sure they had something like that in the past. Larry Bird didn't come out right away but didn't the C's own his rights when he did graduate because of a previous draft or trade? It seems to me Red came up with a beauty in the late 70's to secure him.

Anyway nothing will change unless it benefits the NBA, they don't give a rats a** about the kids and they're fine with the minor league culture which is the NCAA for now.
i dont watch the nba anymore bc i think it's terrible(unless i can catch a game with a former uconn player ill watch it) the reason why college is down is because no one is taught the fundamentals in high school and bc if a player knows he can stay for one year and leave for the nba he can just coast, no one can hit a jumpshot, no one can shoot fts... defense is easier to teach and if it's not zone is because o one can shoot... all it is, is drive and hop to get fouled while throwing up a shot or attempt a three if you can't drive

Reaction Score
If you want to go straight to the league go right from highschool. If you go to college you have to stay two years....let's the stars go straight to the league and let's the others develop and not feel rushed into leaving after a year in college.

Reaction Score
You guys suggesting HS players go to the league are forgetting one very important issue: they can't because the NBA won't let them. The NBA was getting too many HS seniors. This would give teams the option to draft them but not bring them in right away

The current situation is terrible for college basketball, why continue a charade when there's the potential to make changes that could keep kids in school and make them actually be students?

Also, this could lead to fewer transfers because guys won't want to lose that year they'd have to sit.

My idea is to strike a balance between what the NBA wants and what college is supposed to be. The NBA doesn't want every kid straight out of HS, only a select few.

Reaction Score
My idea is that anyone who wants to go to the league can go whether it be d league, overseas or the league. If you don't go to the NBA or overseas and choose college, you have to stay for two years. No one is forcing the kids to go to college. They have options out of high school. If they are not chosen they can attend college but have to stay for two years. One thing I would like to add is any agents contacting any kids in college before the end of their two years will lose there agent status with the NBA for 3 years. Or if they purposely guide the kid to choose the NBA with the knowledge they will not make it
they actually are forced into college. There is better coaching and better competition here than overseas, so there is really only one logical choice. The only guy that goes overseas is one who can't into college.

How do you prove an agent purposefully guided a kid to the nba "knowing" he wouldn't make it. Agents don't make money off guys that don't make the league. If they are guiding a player to the league it's because they think he will make it.

Reaction Score
Interesting ideas. However, my one problem with it is that college ball literally turns into the minor leagues. I know they already are, but at least they try to hide it. Your model doesn't even try. Still, it's a much better theory than some others (like that guy who said scholarship slots should freeze if someone leaves early). I've always been a big supporter of mirroring the baseball rule, except 2 instead of 3 years. I think 3 is too many for basketball, where players are usually able to compete right out of school, unlike baseball.

College ball is already the minor league. This would keep the borderline kids there continuing to get an education belie they train. Isn't that better for everyone?

I think you mean the football rules. Baseball drafts anyone at any time. If he decides to go pro he's ineligible for college. If he decides not to, his name is back in the draft until next year.

Reaction Score
i dont watch the nba anymore bc i think it's terrible(unless i can catch a game with a former uconn player ill watch it) the reason why college is down is because no one is taught the fundamentals in high school and bc if a player knows he can stay for one year and leave for the nba he can just coast, no one can hit a jumpshot, no one can shoot fts... defense is easier to teach and if it's not zone is because o one can shoot... all it is, is drive and hop to get fouled while throwing up a ty shot or attempt a three if you can't drive
Yeah, it's obvious you don't watch the NBA because this is pretty far from the truth.

Reaction Score
Essentially what the nba does with players overseas....drafts their rights and let them develop overseas

Reaction Score
Then let's say team x gets number one pick and drafts a superstar but forces him to stay in college so they can get another high pick and just stocks up on future stars

Reaction Score
76ers slightly doing this but that's due to their draft stars injured

Reaction Score
Kids leave for the money so if drafted, and they go back to school do they get guaranteed draft bonus? Even if they can't touch it while in school?

Reaction Score
Then let's say team x gets number one pick and drafts a superstar but forces him to stay in college so they can get another high pick and just stocks up on future stars
Can't force him to college. He's not guaranteed a roster spot in the regular season, but he is guaranteed one in the summer league. If they don't sign him before, during, or after that he becomes a free agent. They'll lose him to someone else as a free agent.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
LOL. "Pros" = "positives" ("Cons" = "Negatives")

I'm saying anyone can be drafted but doesn't have to go the NBA, there's no declaring eligibility any more. The team and player can decide together after he's been drafted if he's ready, or if they want to let him go to, or remain in, school for another year (or 2 or 3) to develop. But if he chooses school, he's committing to that full academic year, not just the season. And after any season, once he "declares" for the NBA, he's giving up his eligibility permanently. The "declaration" date could be the same as it is now for the draft, but since you've already been drafted, you're basically just giving notice that a scholarship is open.
LOL no I understand what you meant by "pros and cons." I was just trying to understand what you were saying. Also would the player be paid after he was drafted and went back to college? If you stay 3 years in college after being drafted, what do they do with the 3 years of salary you've made/haven't.

Reaction Score
Kids leave for the money so if drafted, and they go back to school do they get guaranteed draft bonus? Even if they can't touch it while in school?

No full payment until they declare themselves eligible, maybe a percentage of it. That would take pressure off the colleges and the players.

They aren't amatuers, they are basically getting paid now, between shady recruiting and what scholarships are actually worth, let's take the power of the back room deals and cash out of the system.

Reaction Score
LOL no I understand what you meant by "pros and cons." I was just trying to understand what you were saying. Also would the player be paid after he was drafted and went back to college? If you stay 3 years in college after being drafted, what do they do with the 3 years of salary you've made/haven't.
They haven't played in he league so they haven't earned that yet. Maybe a stipend. Like 2% of the rookie minimum. Which would be around $10k a year.

Reaction Score
So someone like Drummond, who needed a few years to develop could have played 2-3 years at UConn. Then when he went pro, Detroit would have gotten a guy worth what they had to pay him for that lottery pick. Instead of overpaying him for a few years and then praying to retain him as a free agent. It's a much better system for the NBA and college.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Would like to see some kind of guaranteed money for the kids that get drafted but "encouraged" to stay in school and develop, then get hurt.

I like this idea, but don't think the PA would get behind it. Giving the teams longer control over a player is not going to go over well with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom