OT- SNL 5 best all-time | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT- SNL 5 best all-time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fallon is getting way too much credit here. He could hardly keep a straight face in most of his bits, on live tv.
I've been watching since the beginning, missing years when it wasn't worth it.
in no certain order
Radner-few did what she did, and she could do everything
Belushi-groundbreaker-there is no Farley or any others of that ilk without him
Murray-we forget how hard it was to fill Chevy Chase's shoes at that time and his post SNL career is second to none except maybe...
Ferrell-his post SNL success speaks for itself and his list of legendary characters and skits is lengthy
Short/Crystal/Murphy/Sandler/etc--you can put a blanket over the many that are close but not near those top 4.

Reaction Score
Just saw the opening Jeopardy skit on YouTube at work - glad the office was pretty empty as u couldn't stop laughing... I stopped watching SNL regularly b/c I got old & it got bad, but I do catch clips after I hear about them.

To the OP, Ferrell & Hartman were the best - they were part of so many great skits that on paper (or done by someone with less talent) wouldn't have been even good - Caveman lawyer & More CowBell come immediately to mind. Underrated but also up there is Mike Myers - a part of so many great skits. Eddie Murphy, was amazing (Kill my Landlord etc) but I feel his time on SNL was short - he single handedly resurrected a near dead show. To round, I'd have to say John Belushi - when he was on you couldn't take your eyes off him & so much his humor was non-verbal it's hard to explain why you were laughing.

If the OP was 6 best - I'd have to say Chris Farley.

All of these weren't just funny - they were extremely talented & did things that hadn't been done before!

Reaction Score
In no particular order:
Belushi - Such a great talent
Hartman - Was the best member of my favorite cast (the early-mid 90s). He carried a lot of the sketches he was in.
Murphy - There were some terrible casts in the 80s and everyone thought that the show was done, but he helped to save the show
Ferrell - Show was struggling with its identity and with viewership in the late 90s after the NBC bigwigs fired guys like Sandler and Farley because they didn't get their style of humor and his emergence saved SNL
Carvey/Hammond - the two best impersonators on the show. George Bush and Bill Clinton sketches were always great (although, I also loved Phil's Clinton - especially the McDonald's sketch)

Honorable Mentions:
Sandler, Myers, Samberg, Hader, Radner, Aykroyd and Murray

I'm surprised that Fallon is making people's top 5 lists. He's in my bottom 5 easily. Dude could not do anything well except for breaking and smiling and laughing at his own lines and jokes. Completely unprofessional. He almost singlehandedly ruined the "Cowbell" sketch. It's funny when they break every so often, but Fallon did it every show and at his own lines. I especially hated when he was on the same sketch as Horatio Sanz, because the two could not control themselves. Fallon's great on his current format as a late show host because he's able to get his guests to buy in to the goofy stuff he has them do.

Reaction Score
Shocked Aykroyd hasn't been mentioned. The guy had so many great characters from Two Wild and Crazy Guys, Fred Garvin Male Prostitute, Sleazy Halloween costume salesman, Bass-o-Matic, Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon, Julia Child, Tom Snyder. He could play it straight or off the wall, also a great writer. You could make a case he's the best SNL performer ever. "Jane you ignorant nope!"

Reaction Score
I'm surprised that Fallon is making people's top 5 lists. He's in my bottom 5 easily. Dude could not do anything well except for breaking and smiling and laughing at his own lines and jokes. Completely unprofessional. He almost singlehandedly ruined the "Cowbell" sketch. It's funny when they break every so often, but Fallon did it every show and at his own lines. I especially hated when he was on the same sketch as Horatio Sanz, because the two could not control themselves. Fallon's great on his current format as a late show host because he's able to get his guests to buy in to the goofy stuff he has them do.

oh come on, fallon and sanz had the most classic breaking character scene in the history of the show..

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/debbie-downer/n11825

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I would put Belushi, Akroyd, Short, Murphy, and Fey. I think Akroyd was really funny, but often played right-hand man to Belushi. I remember him justifying selling plastic bags to young children as toys (you had to be there) and responding to Jane Curtin: "Jane, you ignorant nope." I thought that Ed Grimsley was just ridiculously funny, I must say! Tina Fey as Sarah Palin was hysterically funny--really perfect. Eddie Murphy had such range and I especially remember his "Mr. Robinson's Neighborhood." I thought that Dana Carvey was great and might move him up to 5 (I did love the Church Lady).

Other Honorable Mentions would include Bill Murray, who should really be in the top 3 now that I think about it ("Thank you, Mrs. Lubner"), Gilda Radner, Kristen Wiig, Amy Poehler, John Lovits, Jason Sudeikis (was a good all-around type of guy), Chevy Chase (who was better than I thought at the time), Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks, Michael Myers, Will Forte, and Fred Armison.

Ones others love that I didn't like much includes Will Ferrell, Chris Farley, and Adam Sandler (although I liked Happy Gilmore later on).

I haven't seen the 40th Anniversary show yet...I'm sure it will bring back other funny comedians and characters.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Tough choice!
The way I see it, SNL stars, glue guys and gals and role players. I think some of their most talented performers are glue guys like Dan Ackroyd, Phil Hartman, Jan Hooks and Hader.
But the stars that carry the show and that you crack up just thinking about are:
1) John Belushi
2) Will Farrel
3) Eddie Murphey
4) Bill Murray
5) Mike Meyers
5) Martin Short

But this is leaving out Kristin Wiig, Tina Fey, Dana Carvey, Chris Farley, Adam Sandler, etc, Great list.
And my most beloved of all is Gilda.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Shocked Aykroyd hasn't been mentioned. The guy had so many great characters from Two Wild and Crazy Guys, Fred Garvin Male Prostitute, Sleazy Halloween costume salesman, Bass-o-Matic, Jimmy Carter, Richard Nixon, Julia Child, Tom Snyder. He could play it straight or off the wall, also a great writer. You could make a case he's the best SNL performer ever. "Jane you ignorant nope!"

Yeah. the skits with Jane Curtin's journalist interviewing Irving Mainway, toy manufacturer responsible for "Bag O'Glass" (it says right on the label, 'Not for blind kids'!) were classic, along with Julia Child, Bass-o-Matic, etc. He's in my top 5 along with Belushi, Murphy, Hartman and one of Fey/Carvey/Farley.

Favorite running guest skit was "The Continental". Walken was hysterical in that.

"I'll take 'Anal Bum Cover' for $200, Trebek."

Reaction Score
Dennis Miller? Rolling Stone's comment on his ranking is that two things from the 80s are impossible to believe in retrospect: Elton John married a woman and Dennis Miller was funny.
Well, to each his own, for sure, especially when it comes to comedy. I always thought Dennis Miller was the most gifted comedian I ever saw. The guy is a genius - I don't mean he's a "comedic" genius. I mean he's a genius. His humor reflects that. 20% of what he says goes over my head because I don't get the reference, but I'll take the remaining 80% over a coked up Robin Williams doing impressions of dogs in heat and Richard Pryor saying word every 5 words and Louis CK doing jerk off and bag of Ds jokes and pretty much anybody else playing to the lowest common denominator.

But hey, if John Belushi spitting potatoes out of his mouth doing an impression of a pimple popping is what jellies your toast, then go for it.

Oh, and don't forget that Miller went full-right wing fascist and RS is about as liberal a rag as you'll find, and that ain't gonna help him in the voting. Some other rag voted him best Weekend Update anchor ever, BTW.

Which is why I said, humor, like music, is very individual.

Last edited:

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
With the 40th Anniversary show for SNL it got me thinking who are the best SNL performers of all-time, some had way more success off the show than others, Chris Rock come to mind. Let's do a top 5 of strictly SNL performers, it's hard enough to narrow it down to 5 so they don't have to be in order. I'll start- Dan Akroyd, Phil Hartman, Chris Farley, Will Ferrell, Eddie Murphy.

My list is based on ability to make me laugh and strength of characters. Not in order...

Kenan Thompson (Deandre Cole, Scared Straight convict, Sharpton...)
Bill Hader (Stefon, that interviewer guy...)
Will Farrell (More cowbell!!, GWB, Trebeck...)
Dan Ackyroyd (Jane, you ignorant nope!)
Eddie Murphy (Mr. Robinson, Butwheat)

Kristen Wiig is next.

Reaction Score
Really liked Martin Short, but he was already known for his work on SCTV (which included John Candy, Etc.) so I don't really think of him as a SNL guy. I know a lot of cast members either had a sketch or comic background, but they're usually relative unknowns when they join SNL - not the case for Martin Short.

Reaction Score
Well, to each his own, for sure, especially when it comes to comedy. I always thought Dennis Miller was the most gifted comedian I ever saw. The guy is a genius - I don't mean he's a "comedic" genius. I mean he's a genius. His humor reflects that. 20% of what he says goes over my head because I don't get the reference, but I'll take the remaining 80% over a coked up Robin Williams doing impressions of dogs in heat and Richard Pryor saying word every 5 words and Louis CK doing jerk off and bag of Ds jokes and pretty much anybody else playing to the lowest common denominator.

But hey, if John Belushi spitting potatoes out of his mouth doing an impression of a pimple popping is what jellies your toast, then go for it.

Oh, and don't forget that Miller went full-right wing fascist and RS is about as liberal a rag as you'll find, and that ain't gonna help him in the voting. Some other rag voted him best Weekend Update anchor ever, BTW.

Which is why I said, humor, like music, is very individual.
Dennis Miller is a really bright guy for sure and I used to like his comedy but the last stand up show I saw of him was just bad, old tired references and just seemed out of touch. I saw Louis CK live a month or so ago and he was absurdly funny, I've also seen Chappelle and Bill Burr live and they blow Dennis Miller out of the water. Another brilliant guy that threw out a million references that would go over most people's heads was Greg Giraldo but he did it way better than Miller.

Reaction Score
Dennis Miller is a really bright guy for sure and I used to like his comedy but the last stand up show I saw of him was just bad, old tired references and just seemed out of touch.
Guy is too political for my liking, now, and I don't want to hear either the left or the right going off about what's up their @asses, but hard to picture him being out of touch - he's way into politics.

I saw Louis CK live a month or so ago and he was absurdly funny
Guy is hugely talented. He descends into crass humor too much for me, but I like his observations (guy on plane bitching about wifi going down a few minutes after it premiered, for example).

Chappelle
Extremely talented. Very intelligent, and great delivery. Love his take on black/white race differences (white families all share one bar of soap in the shower. Grape drink.)

Bill Burr
Talented, but not my type - depends too much on F this and rather than letting the material support itself.

Greg Giraldo
Never heard of him - will look him up. Thanks for the cite.

Regarding smarts, I'd put IQs at the following, if I had to guess:

Miller - 145-150
Chappelle - 125
Louis and Burr - 120

Point is, if you listen to any material Miller ever did, he brings in a crazy array of references that fit perfectly. You just can't manipulate data like that without being super smart.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Point is, if you listen to any material Miller ever did, he brings in a crazy array of references that fit perfectly. You just can't manipulate data like that without being super smart.

Maybe. But for a Pittsburgh kid, you'd think that would get him into Pitt or CMU. He only got into Point Park U. Which, if you've never lived in Pittsburgh, you've never heard of.

I used to listen to Miller's radio show even though I didn't like his politics. It was pretty funny.

Btw, as this is going off topic into other comedians, check out Jerrod Carmichael. Easily the most innovative comedian I've seen in past 5 years. No subject off-limits. Very cerebral.

Reaction Score
Just watched some stuff - excellent.
Giraldo is one of the funniest and smartest people I've ever heard. Sadly like many comedians and exceptionally intelligent people his mind took him to some dark places. The guy graduated Columbia and then got a perfect score on the LSAT and went to Harvard Law. He never got the worldwide fame he deserved and it struck me to the core when I heard of his death due to drugs. Another guy I'm sure you would like is Jim Gaffigan, he doesn't have to use a single f word and is incredibly funny, check him out of you haven't already.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
train+derailment+3.JPG

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Giraldo is one of the funniest and smartest people I've ever heard. Sadly like many comedians and exceptionally intelligent people his mind took him to some dark places. The guy graduated Columbia and then got a perfect score on the LSAT and went to Harvard Law. He never got the worldwide fame he deserved and it struck me to the core when I heard of his death due to drugs. Another guy I'm sure you would like is Jim Gaffigan, he doesn't have to use a single f word and is incredibly funny, check him out of you haven't already.

Huge Gaffigan fan.

Reaction Score
And he got DonnaDixon in her prime.

Reaction Score
Maybe. But for a Pittsburgh kid, you'd think that would get him into Pitt or CMU.
If somebody went to Harvard (with no help from quota selection), then you can be pretty certain he's a smart fellow.
If somebody did not go to Harvard, you would be wildly guessing to believe that he is not a smart fellow.

There are plenty of very high IQ people who don't go to good schools.

Reaction Score
Akroyd was an amazing writer, but every single character of his would have been funnier with Phil Hartman playing the part.

Reaction Score
I was never a huge fan of Armisen but Portlandia is hilarious.
I couldn't put him in my top 10 but Fred is underrated probably because he's so peculiar. His creepy Italian guy in Euro Trip was hysterical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom