OT: SIU Coach Rant- "Been telling my wife this for years, size doesn’t matter." | The Boneyard

OT: SIU Coach Rant- "Been telling my wife this for years, size doesn’t matter."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://extramustard.si.com/2013/12/...thern-illinois-murray-state-press-conference/

That blog lays out some highlights of the rant after SIU lost to Murray State:

“I’ve been telling my wife this for years, size doesn’t matter.” … (He was talking rebounds, but still)

“Our guards are awful. Our three starting guards had one assist and seven turnovers. They must think it’s a tax credit. IT’S UNBELIEVABLE HOW OUR STARTING GUARDS PLAYED. “

“My wife…MY WIFE…can score more than two buckets on 11 shots because I KNOW my wife will AT LEAST SHOT FAKE one time.”

“There was a sniper in the gym. Didn’t you see that? We had guys falling down. We had a guy snipered at half-court. Two guys snipered at half-court. It was unbelievable. I would’ve thought Navy Seal Team 6 was out there.”

“I mean, you saw how we turned the ball over. We made three turnovers tonight where we just came down and threw them the ball. I swear, I thought one time that one of our players said, ‘Merry Christmas.’ I thought it was a gift. I thought they signed the package over.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agreed, I was surprised he actually called one of his players out by name, too.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Fired immediately?

Jesus.

His players played poorly and he said so, albeit colorfully.

Davante Drinkard should pipe down.

I've seen him play - he's awful. Our bigs are, well, challenged at times, but to a man, they'd blow him off the court.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
He thinks he's got bad players now? Who the hell is he going to be able to recruit after that?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Fired immediately?
Jesus.
His players played poorly and he said so, albeit colorfully.

Davante Drinkard should pipe down.

I've seen him play - he's awful. Our bigs are, well, challenged at times, but to a man, they'd blow him off the court.

Plus, Drinkard kind of proved his point by whining on twitter. Tweet deleted now of course.

Reaction Score
Fire him cause of this rant? . Half the reason our society is going in the sh!tter is because kids these days cannot be disciplined for fear of lawsuits, being fired, etc....resulting in a bunch of selfish kids who feel like they should given everything and don't need to earn anything.

Reaction Score
Everything he said with passion was true.....time for the kids to say "Yeah we sucked let's get to work coach, you're right"

U

UCONNfan1

Fire him cause of this rant? . Half the reason our society is going in the sh!tter is because kids these days cannot be disciplined for fear of lawsuits, being fired, etc....resulting in a bunch of selfish kids who feel like they should given everything and don't need to earn anything.
I'm not sure I agree with you 100% (about our society going into the sh!tter), but the truth is that these kids get a free ride in college. They get a free education. They get free meals, free lodging, basically everything is free.

For an out of state kid that's almost $38,000 (yeah I looked it up). 4 years is a whopping $152,000. I doubt any of those kids jump to the NBA early. The guy was colorful, but it's not like he cussed any of the kids out, or called them (ock$uckers or ass-holes, or something like that. If they don't like it, they can transfer, or quit the team and attend the school on their own dime.

Reaction Score
Can't say I've ever heard of UConn basketball coach ever go on a rant before! ;)

Reaction Score
Have zero problem with him naming a kid specifically. Why is that something he apologizes for? As if when he criticizes the front court, their forwards and centers don't know they're the ones being talked about?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
The team is 2 and 8 and your all sure the coach has no responsibility for it? Talk about lack of responsibility. I hear a desperate coach throwing his team under the bus.

Kids don't file lawsuits or get coaches fired. Parents do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom