OT: Should Louisville Get The Death Penalty | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Should Louisville Get The Death Penalty

Should Louisville get the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 101 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think they are already on probation, the penalty has to be steeper than you propose. I'd give them 5 year postseason ban, with scholarship reductions,
year 1-4, lose 1 scholarship each year
year 5, lose 3
year 6, lose 2
year 7, lose 1

It's not quite the death penalty, but it's close. They won't have a good team for at least 7 years.
If I understood that right...
year 1, lose 1
year 2, lose 2
year 3, lose 3
year 4, lose 4
year 5, lose 3
year 6, lose 2
year 7, lose 1

That's worse than the death penalty, which as I understand it would be no MBB for 1 year.

Reaction Score
Penn St was a tragedy; but, it was more or less a criminal case and not a NCAA violation and it seemed to be concentrated in one sport (football) and the leadership that supported that sport (coaching staff, AD, President).

Baylor is similar, though it looks to involve more that one sport and Title IX has been pulled into.

UNC was a case of the NCAA doing gymnastics to find every loophole imaginable to avoid slapping any penalty on one of their greatest cash cows. Just disgusting.

UConn made its mistakes; but, the penalty for what was done i comparison to what the NCAA did at other schools for much higher transgressions is appalling. It was basically a vendetta by Mark Emmert for UConn suing his arse over UConn 2000 mismanagement (he basically fled the state) and against Calhoun for the NCAA Title in 2011 combined with jealosly and fear by some of our neighbors on Chestnut Hill and Canada.

As for Louisville, they sold their soul for a shot at glory. Every one of their key people had questionable pasts - Jurich, Petrino, Pitino, and good old 'Papa' John Schnatter. It worked for a while, and more importantly, long enough for them to get into the ACC. But, the entire thing has finally collapsed under this rot. Should they get the death penalty, yes. Will they, no. Not only because the NCAA is a empty suit; but, also because of politics. The city of Louisville is holding the bag on the debt for the Yum Center and a 2 year death penalty on Louisville's basketball program could force the city to default on those debt payments. The city and state would then sue the NCAA, which would get ugly fast.
"2 year death penalty".....does that mean Rick Pitino gets the electric chair for two years?

Reaction Score
"2 year death penalty".....does that mean Rick Pitino gets the electric chair for two years?

Well no one for sure wants to give him the dining room table.

I looked at a report from a while back and it looks like there maybe enough cash flow for the Yum Center to stay afloat for maybe 1 year without its primary tenant; but, not for 2 years. A 2 year ban likely results in the Yum center defaulting on its debt, bad news for the City's finances, and, as a result, enough lawsuits to keep every busy for a long time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well no one for sure wants to give him the dining room table.

I looked at a report from a while back and it looks like there maybe enough cash flow for the Yum Center to stay afloat for maybe 1 year without its primary tenant; but, not for 2 years. A 2 year ban likely results in the Yum center defaulting on its debt, bad news for the City's finances, and, as a result, enough lawsuits to keep every busy for a long time.
Maybe I don't think the NCAA would have much exposure. Banning Louisville would go a long way to reestablishing some credibility.

Reaction Score
Maybe I don't think the NCAA would have much exposure. Banning Louisville would go a long way to reestablishing some credibility.

Financial exposure, no. Political exposure, yes. Congress and the NCAA have not always been on the same page and with the current Senate Majority leader hailing from Kentucky (McConnell), I can see how a death penalty on Louisville where both a major state run university and the state's largest city are put at risk could get the Senate's attention.

That said, I think the chances of the NCAA handing Louisville the death penalty are very slim (even if the death penalty is not used here, it likley will never be used again). The only reason for it to be used is if the FBI investigation hammers the NCAA and it needs a scapegoat to take the fall.

Last edited:

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
They should get the DP. They were paying players while already on probation for recruiting violations. Even the "paying players" piece should be enough to deserve the harshest punishment in the past 30 years. All of these teams deserve major sanctions. It blows my mind that we had to deal with blowback from cream cheese on bagels, shootarounds and the grades that athletes get when taking REAL classes.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They should get the DP. They were paying players while already on probation for recruiting violations. Even the "paying players" piece should be enough to deserve the harshest punishment in the past 30 years. All of these teams deserve major sanctions. It blows my mind that we had to deal with blowback from cream cheese on bagels, shootarounds and the grades that athletes get when taking REAL classes.

Great double entendre here.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yes. But I would be surprised if they did.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom