OT: Should Louisville Get The Death Penalty | The Boneyard

OT: Should Louisville Get The Death Penalty

Should Louisville get the death penalty?

• Yes

Votes: 101 92.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 7.3%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
Should Louisville get death penalty after latest revelations in college hoops trial?

I've seen it discussed in other threads but here is an article by our old friend Dan Wetzel examining if Louisville deserves the death penalty.

On one hand they committed serious violations while on probation for other serious violations.

On the other hand just about every member of the University from the President, the AD, and the Coach has been removed.

I'd love to see them burn but thats purely out of bitterness from stealing the last spot in the ACC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Louisville is a disgrace. So much for the
ACC “ high standards”. I really hope this blatantly cheating school gets the death penalty. Cheaters, and low lifes, bringing in whores for 17 year old recruits. Let’s not play games and call them “ strippers” or “exotic dancers”. We all know what they are.

Reaction Score
The death penalty is as real as the boogie man this day in age. Especially when you're talking about P5 schools.

Penn State literally harbored and protected a child rapist so they could win football games. If they didn't get the death penalty, the death penalty no longer exists.

C

Chief00

Let’s not play games and call them “ strippers” or “exotic dancers”. We all know what they are.

They are part of one of the oldest professions in the World. Where is your historical context? LOL

Reaction Score
They are part of one of the oldest professions in the World. Where is your historical context? LOL
Beleive me, in my younger days I gave them a fair share of business here in Amsterdam. But now days little mokum is far less cooperative with what big mokum has in mind.

C

Chief00

Beleive me, in my younger days I gave them a fair share of business here in Amsterdam. But now days little mokum is far less cooperative with what big mokum has in mind.
Just kidding. Chief being Chief.

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if any school in the CBB Trial recieved any punishment. With the exception of creighton, it was a number of NCAA precious cash cows.

Reaction Score
The death penalty is as real as the boogie man this day in age. Especially when you're talking about P5 schools.

Penn State literally harbored and protected a child rapist so they could win football games. If they didn't get the death penalty, the death penalty no longer exists.
Huh? What illegal competitive advantage did keeping Sandusky around achieve? That’s the exact reason the NCAA didn’t come down harder. These cases are not comparable.

Reaction Score
Huh? What illegal competitive advantage did keeping Sandusky around achieve? That’s the exact reason the NCAA didn’t come down harder. These cases are not comparable.
Fair enough, we can substitute in the UNC paper class scandal if you prefer.

The point is the NCAA answers to the P5, not the other way around.

Reaction Score
Should Louisville get death penalty after latest revelations in college hoops trial?

I've seen it discussed in other threads but here is an article by our old friend Dan Wetzel examining if Louisville deserves the death penalty.

On one hand they committed serious violations while on probation for other serious violations.

On the other hand just about every member of the University from the President, the AD, and the Coach has been removed.

I'd love to see them burn but thats purely out of bitterness from stealing the last spot in the ACC.

From the above article by Dan Wetzel, "If the committee on infractions doesn’t have the courage to implement the death penalty on that, then the NCAA should just give up and take it off the books." I also think if they don't give the death penalty it should be the end of the NCAA.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Yeah but as disgusting as that was it wasn't really with the NCAA's mandate. UNC is the poster boy for P5 school's getting away with stuff that was squarely within the NCAA's mandate. Blah, blah, other students could sign up for the BS classes, blah, blah. Not buying it. The school knowingly or grossly negligently played ineligible players.

In any event Louisville Community College is neither PSU nor UNC. The NCAA already stripped them of a title and while on probation (for providing prostitutes to player and recruits no less) they were paying recruits. If the NCAA doesn't give them the death penalty it needs to disband.

Reaction Score
The whole NCAA should be overthrown. Frankly i used to care a lot more when i was more naive but after the last 10 years of stupid punishments while other bigger programs get a slap on the wrist, I really cant expect the NCAA to do anything right.

Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. The cheating will continue unless a P5 program gets the death penalty, which the NCAA knows full well. Louisville needs to be punished severely, just how far the NCAA will go remains to be seen.

Reaction Score
Fair enough, we can substitute in the UNC paper class scandal if you prefer.

The point is the NCAA answers to the P5, not the other way around.
Well UNC was working a loophole that is that the NCAA doesn’t take liberty to define academic fraud and relies on schools to report, which would then prompt NCAA action. And I don’t think UNC was on probation for major infractions, let alone nearly the exact same thing they then did again just months after being put on probation.

In the pure sense of betrayal of the collegiate model, sure UNC was arguably worse. But the grand scheme at Louisville overall is way worse, given the timeline of violations and probation, and of course the nature and severity of the violations

If ever there were a disposable program that could be made an example for other schools, and a chance for the NCAA to demonstrate some actual power, this is it.

Reaction Score
Dear Louisville,
We now realize inviting you to the acc was a huge mistake and your few positives do not out weight your many glaring shortcomings and continued egregious mistakes that make a mockery of everything we coughpretendcough to stand for. This letter is to inform you that the acc will no longer be your home and we will be going with the school we should have gone with all along, UConn.
-acc
PS: BC sucks and cincy is replacing them.

...one can dream.

Reaction Score
Penn St was a tragedy; but, it was more or less a criminal case and not a NCAA violation and it seemed to be concentrated in one sport (football) and the leadership that supported that sport (coaching staff, AD, President).

Baylor is similar, though it looks to involve more that one sport and Title IX has been pulled into it.

UNC was a case of the NCAA doing gymnastics to find every loophole imaginable to avoid slapping any penalty on one of their greatest cash cows. Just disgusting.

UConn made its mistakes; but, the penalty for what was done in comparison to what the NCAA did at other schools for much higher transgressions is appalling. It was basically a vendetta by Mark Emmert for UConn suing his arse over UConn 2000 mismanagement (he basically fled the state) and against Calhoun for the NCAA Title in 2011 combined with jealosly and fear by some of our neighbors on Chestnut Hill and Canada.

As for Louisville, they sold their soul for a shot at glory. Every one of their key people had questionable pasts - Jurich, Petrino, Pitino, and good old 'Papa' John Schnatter. It worked for a while, and more importantly, long enough for them to get into the ACC. But, the entire thing has finally collapsed under this rot. Should they get the death penalty, yes. Will they, no. Not only because the NCAA is a empty suit; but, also because of politics. The city of Louisville is holding a boatload of debt for the Yum Center and a 2 year death penalty on Louisville's basketball program could force the city to default on those debt payments. The city and state would then sue the NCAA, which would get ugly fast.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Dear Louisville,
We now realize inviting you to the acc was a huge mistake and your few positives do not out weight your many glaring shortcomings and continued egregious mistakes that make a mockery of everything we coughpretendcough to stand for. This letter is to inform you that the acc will no longer be your home and we will be going with the school we should have gone with all along, UConn.
-acc
PS: BC sucks and cincy is replacing them.

...one can dream.
The PS made this post.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Dear Louisville,
This letter is to inform you that the acc will no longer be your home and we will be going with the school we should have gone with all along, UConn.
Well played. It also brings up a legit question. If LCC was to get what it deserved and got the death penalty, what would the ACC [Atlantic Cheating Conference] do? Are there bylaws that would allow for replacing them if the conference desired to go that route? I expect nothing would happen and the ACC will just re-work the schedule for a bit, but it is worth discussing. The dreamer in me wants to believe there's a sliver of hope, but the person grounded in reality realizes a lot of tumblers would have to fall into place for it to happen and it's highly unlikely. In a similar vein, winning Mega Millions is also highly unlikely, but I'm still buying tix tonight and hoping. $548M jackpot.

pj

Reaction Score
Well played. It also brings up a legit question. If LCC was to get what it deserved and got the death penalty, what would the ACC [Atlantic Cheating Conference] do? Are there bylaws that would allow for replacing them if the conference desired to go that route? I expect nothing would happen and the ACC will just re-work the schedule for a bit, but it is worth discussing. The dreamer in me wants to believe there's a sliver of hope, but the person grounded in reality realizes a lot of tumblers would have to fall into place for it to happen and it's highly unlikely. In a similar vein, winning Mega Millions is also highly unlikely, but I'm still buying tix tonight and hoping. $548M jackpot.

ACC would do nothing. First, the death penalty would only be in one sport, ACC is a multi-sport league, and the most important sport (football) would not be the one getting the death penalty. Second, BC and Syracuse are still worried about UConn stealing northeastern applicants away from them if UConn athletics prospers, and will still want to block us. Third, UConn football is still down, and basketball hasn't re-risen yet.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The death penalty will never be issued again, so it might be better to ask, what should Louisville's penalty be in the current climate? For my money:
  1. 3 year postseason ban.
  2. Scholarship reductions for 5 years, with the following reductions:
    • Year 1: lose 3
    • Year 2: lose 3
    • Year 3: lose 2
    • Year 4: Lose 2
    • Year 5: Lose 1
  3. 10 year probation

What I think they deserve in my dreams: getting kicked out of the ACC.

borninansonia

Neandertal
Reaction Score
I think they are already on probation, the penalty has to be steeper than you propose. I'd give them 5 year postseason ban, with scholarship reductions,
year 1-4, lose 1 scholarship each year
year 5, lose 3
year 6, lose 2
year 7, lose 1

It's not quite the death penalty, but it's close. They won't have a good team for at least 7 years.

Reaction Score
Since UNC got off from one of the biggest scandals ever, I'm over the NCAA and the unfairness.

Reaction Score
I didn't know there were 6 lville fans on the boneyard.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20181012-165625.png
    Screenshot_20181012-165625.png
    60.7 KB · Views: 28

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member