OT:Should I upgrade to the iPhone 5? | The Boneyard

OT:Should I upgrade to the iPhone 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have the iPhone4. I have a terrible sense of direction and use the navigation featute extensively. Whats the deal with the map feature on the iPhone5? Is it really a downgrade?

H

Husk-E

If you have the iphone 4 I don't really think you need to waste the money to buy the new one.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I gather the maps have some interesting bugs, but the turn by turn works rather well - or has for me thus far.

It's a marked improvement over the iOS Google maps app, a bit prettier than the Android turn by turn, but it's going to take them some time for them to get the same level of data that Google has. Some of the 'points of interest' probably are not accurate yet - Apple is either going to have to buy it or wait until enough iPhones using iOS6 have canvassed the landscape and reported the data back.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Apple maps will be the same on your 4s as it will be on the 5 - cept for size. Judge for yourself if they are any good and if you need the larger screen. It sounds like Google will put Google Maps in the app store anyhow. Again, it will work on the 4s and 5 equally.

Reaction Score
I gather the maps have some interesting bugs, but the turn by turn works rather well - or has for me thus far.

It's a marked improvement over the iOS Google maps app, a bit prettier than the Android turn by turn, but it's going to take them some time for them to get the same level of data that Google has. Some of the 'points of interest' probably are not accurate yet - Apple is either going to have to buy it or wait until enough iPhones using iOS6 have canvassed the landscape and reported the data back.

It's absurd that they're really trying to compete with Google on this. They've stitched together mapping data from ~20 sources, and not surprisingly, a comedy of errors has ensued. Google has a 10-year head start on them and they are constantly working to improve their data.

I read that there's an iOS 6.0 Google Maps app waiting for approval by Apple, but that hasn't happened yet. Maybe I mis-read, or the source was inaccurate.

I'm still on a jailbroken iOS 5.0.1 (iPhone 4) because the upgrades offer little-to-nothing.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
It wasn't absurd at all. Hundreds of millions of iOS devices will soon be reporting mapping data to Apple. Their maps will improve quickly. Hundreds of millions of iOS devices no longer be reporting mapping data to Google. Their maps will suffer. Inevitably, they meet in the middle.

The previous Google app was great as a map, relatively useless for navigation. Without turn by turn....what was the point? They never did a thing to improve it.

I've actually been using an app called Waze on both Android and iPhone lately. It has some odd moments as well, but I find that a ton of people are using it and it is scary useful in ways that Google maps and iOS maps are not - shows the hows and whys of traffic jams and even very consistent locations of radar traps, etc.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't rush to upgrade. Basically a little thinner, and an extra row of apps (5 vs. 4). A little faster. Biggest headache is that the charger changed so anything you plug it into will need a new $30 adapter. Ultimately it will be the standard but they will probably cost $5 in a year or so.

Reaction Score
I've actually been using an app called Waze on both Android and iPhone lately. It has some odd moments as well, but I find that a ton of people are using it and it is scary useful in ways that Google maps and iOS maps are not - shows the hows and whys of traffic jams and even very consistent locations of radar traps, etc.
I would also highly recommend Waze for iPhone. Great app.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
im thinking the same thing, between the the galaxy 3 and just a 4s... only thing holding me back from the galaxy is my music... the 5 isnt that special compared to the 4

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If it's half as good as Waze for Android, it's worth checking out.

What's really nice about it is that so many people are starting to use it - I used it when it first came out and it was pretty useless.

Now, in a one hour commute, I will "pass" at least 20-25 other users - the roads are well-covered now.

One other 'pro' - it's very light on data downloading compared to Google maps. One 'con' - it's a battery-pounder. It'll kill the battery on an S3 inside of 100 minutes sometimes.

AtlHusky

Let's go outside our minds and play
Reaction Score
What's really nice about it is that so many people are starting to use it....One 'con' - it's a battery-pounder. It'll kill the battery on an S3 inside of 100 minutes sometimes.

I've been using Waze on my work issued 4s for about a year and it's amazing how many more users are on it now. It's become pretty reliable when it comes to speed traps mostly because it's fairly simple to send in a cop location notification. It's not quite as good on Points of Interest, but fine if you have an address.

Agreed that it eats up the battery. I have to use my charger when running it for any trip longer than 30 min if I want my phone to be useful when I get to where I'm headed.

H

Husk-E

I think the fact that all the Foxconn employees just rioted in their little torture chamber in China might tell you something... The place has freaking suicide nets all over the place to stop the poor employees from killing themselves.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If you're truly concerned, and you're not, walk around your house and make a note all the stuff that's made in China.

And then don't buy any more of those things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom