OT: Short Trip to Austin | The Boneyard

OT: Short Trip to Austin

Reaction Score
Hey Boneyard, help me plan my short getaway with my wife (keep it clean). We're only there for a couple days. I think we have a couple things planned, but it seems like we are the last people to go to Austin so I'm happy to get recommendations. Any of the breweries/distilleries fun to visit? Anything you think is a can't miss? Thanks in advance.

PS: I could swear I titled this "OT."

Kauffmak10

BleedBlue
Reaction Score
Sunset meal at The Oasis At Lake Travis.. awesome

Attachments

• 8A69F881-C0AA-4166-971F-33482030886E.jpeg
    8A69F881-C0AA-4166-971F-33482030886E.jpeg
    153.3 KB · Views: 49
Reaction Score
Natural Bridge Caverns are sweet, especially on a hot day.

If it's baseball season, checking out a Round Rock Express game is fun. I had the pleasure of sitting 2nd row with a bunch of nice, older season ticket holders and had a blast. $2 24 oz Shiner Bock on Thursdays.

Reaction Score
My brother-in-law lives in Austin and the standard reply/joke for tourists who ask "what is there to do in Austin" is to go to San Antonio. I've been to both and it's San Antonio hands down.

Reaction Score
Just got back for a bachelor party so not sure how much I will help lol. Hotel Van Zandt right off of Rainey street is where we stayed and it was awesome. One of the nicer hotels I have ever stayed at. Three forks for a good steak dinner, wasnt really impressed with 6th st, douchey vibe. The bars on Rainey are a lot better. Juan in a million for breakfast spot or Torchy Tacos. Carolines a real good outdoor happy hour spot. The rest of the places dont think your wife would enjoy ....

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
My brother-in-law lives in Austin and the standard reply/joke for tourists who ask "what is there to do in Austin" is to go to San Antonio. I've been to both and it's San Antonio hands down.
I was just about to recommend going to San Antonio, Riverwalk is easily one of my favorite touristy spots in the US. It’s only an hour away.

Reaction Score
Franklin BBQ

I did this last year. The BBQ really is exceptional but this will be a 4-hour ordeal. You're going to need to get in line at 9 or 9:30 am to ensure you get in before they run out. Doors open at 11am if I recall. With limited time you can find comparable BBQ without burning through half a day.

Reaction Score
Really? First time I was in Austin, we went to San Antonio, spent 30 mins on the river walk, 5 mins at the Alamo, then turned back. Had a better time in the food court at the original Whole Foods.

Reaction Score
There’s a really good BBQ right downtown but I can’t remember the name of it... but they slice meat onto trays. The brisket is amazing. And they had live music.
The other great BBQ, whose name I can remember, is Salt Lick.
Also, there’s this really fun Russian Bar called Russian House. Are we allowed to like that stuff now? I don’t care, it was freaking cool.
And Sixth Street is just awesome for all sorts of bars you can walk into - lots of live music, sports bars, daiquiri bars... it’s amazing. One of my favorite American cities. I love San Antonio, too. But that’s a whole different trip.
Also check out UT campus - there’s a bridge there and bats fly out from under it. That’s cool.
Also, it’s a great campus! You can also see the famous clock tower if you have a bit of a morbid curiosity about such things.

Reaction Score
Was there this past weekend and I loved it. It was hot so we stayed cool at Barton Springs Municipal Pool, which is great and kayaked down the river. For food the Gebbys food truck on Rainy had the best Brisket sandwich I've ever had and Gus's fried Chicken was good.

Reaction Score
Great music everywhere, if you’re there on a Wednesday night check out Cedar Street Courtyard to hear the Spazmatics great 80’s cover band

Reaction Score
Franklin BBQ is good, but like they said above, it's a 4 hour ordeal, and on a short trip probably something you won't want to do.

I suggest going to Terry Black's BBQ which is nearly just as good and you only need to get there about 15min before the doors open.

If you really want to try Franklin BBQ - Go to Loro, which is an Asian fusion BBQ restaurant. the owner of Franklin and the owner of Uchi (great Asian food) combined to open a fusion restaurant. They use Franklin BBQ meats in all of their dishes (Including brisket).

I also co-sign everyone recommending Torchy's.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’ve been for work three times this year. I do not recommend the Salt Lick. Better BBQ here in Massachusetts. Franklin is supposed to be good brisket, but the locals think there are much better places. Try John Mueller Meat Co. Smitty’s and Kretzschmar in Lockhart are rival BBQ joints with a fun history. A couple of the food trucks are highly recommended. Le Barbecue is one Live music scene downtown.

If you are a Scotch drinker, grab a bottle of the Edradour Barolo cask at Specs. Several pretty good beer places, but unless you like sours, I’m not wild on the local beer. They do sours there the way New England does IPAs. Not sure what distilleries are close. Balacones isn’t bad.

Sadly I always stay at The Domain, which is less interesting than downtown. Biggest outdoor mall I’ve ever seen. The Archer hotel is nice though.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
La Barbecue is just as good as Franklin's and half the wait. Get the beef rib.

Torchys tacos and Gordos Doughnuts are also both great non bbq options.

Here's what my colleague said about La Barbecue in one of his Barbecue Chronicles.

" La Barbecue. You’d be forgiven for thinking this is some sort of Tex-Mex-Cue fusion joint with brisket tacos and cheesy sides. You’d be forgiven, but you’d be wrong. In this case, “La” is not the feminine article, but an abbreviation of the first name of LeAnn Mueller. You may have heard of LeAnn’s grand pappy, Louie, or her notoriously mercurial brother, John, both legends of central Texas barbecue (if not, check the back-issues below for more details). LeAnn evicted her brother from his food trailer after his second or third stab at adulting went south, turned that trailer into a venture of her own, and took her rightful place as barbecue-preneur worthy of the Mueller name."

Reaction Score
Not sure if you've booked hotel yet, but this hotel is fantastic and right in the heart of Rainey Street, which is my favorite area to bar hop - lots of cool houses turned into bars, food trucks, and just a fun atmosphere.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Great music and bars everywhere. There's another BBQ place I enjoyed that's not Franklin. I don't remember the name, but it's downtown and I'm sure it's in the top 5 on a yelp search.

Also, Salty Sow is off the beaten path but fully enjoyed it.

Reaction Score
Really? First time I was in Austin, we went to San Antonio, spent 30 mins on the river walk, 5 mins at the Alamo, then turned back. Had a better time in the food court at the original Whole Foods.

I spend a lot of time in SA - I like it, but avoid all of the tourist stuff. And this time of year - it is disgusting weather down there - you want no part of the Riverwalk.

Reaction Score
I can't believe people are recommending the Riverwalk over Austin?! Most non-Texans that visit the state say Austin is the only area they could envision themselves living. Live music everywhere, great food, go for an early morning jog on 'town lake' aka the river.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I can't believe people are recommending the Riverwalk over Austin?! Most non-Texans that visit the state say Austin is the only area they could envision themselves living. Live music everywhere, great food, go for an early morning jog on 'town lake' aka the river.

I had to debate whether I could live there back in 2016. Having been there a few times now, I'd say no. Too hot for one, but I also really hate cookie cutter suburbia and I'm not a city dweller.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom