OT: Short Trip to Austin | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Short Trip to Austin

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I can't believe people are recommending the Riverwalk over Austin?! Most non-Texans that visit the state say Austin is the only area they could envision themselves living. Live music everywhere, great food, go for an early morning jog on 'town lake' aka the river.
Agree 100%. Austin much better than San Antonio.

Reaction Score
I had to debate whether I could live there back in 2016. Having been there a few times now, I'd say no. Too hot for one, but I also really hate cookie cutter suburbia and I'm not a city dweller.
My chef friend was excited to move down to Austin, was stuck down there for 2 years and absolutely hated it.

Reaction Score
Outside of downtown, but I suggest Red's Porch (South Lamar). Solid food in a casual spot frequented by locals. Huge outdoor balcony on second floor with great view. Nice spot for lunch or drinks.

It'll probably be hot as hell. They have mist fans.

Reaction Score
I can't believe people are recommending the Riverwalk over Austin?! Most non-Texans that visit the state say Austin is the only area they could envision themselves living. Live music everywhere, great food, go for an early morning jog on 'town lake' aka the river.

I recommended the city of San Antonio, not specifically the Riverwalk, over Austin for a short trip. Living there full time is a completely different issue.

Reaction Score
Thanks for all of the tips! For those recommending San Antonio... too late. The trip is booked to Austin. I've been to San Antonio on business and I liked it, but that'll have to be a different trip.

I realize it's oppressively hot in Austin. A man of my carriage doesn't exactly love the heat, but I'll deal with it. I think the weather is a reason I was able to get the flight / hotel at a reasonable price, especially since I only booked a month ago.

We're staying at the Fairmont. We considered some of the cool boutique places (like Van Zandt), but I like some quiet for sleeping and the big behemoth hotels seem to do insulation better. But we plan on getting drinks everywhere.

The real takeaway from all the comments, however, is this is going to be an eating/drinking trip (which is what I assumed) and I picked the wrong time to join a work diet competition!

Happy 4th to all!

Reaction Score
I live in Austin. If you want to have a good night and get a bunch in all at once:

1. Iron Works BBQ is in DTWN and as good if not better than almost all the others. Salt Lick you have to go to the original and most of the other amazing one's are all a long trip.

2. Rainey St. Go. So many different bars and everyone can find something that works for them

3. West 6th Street, about half a mile from Rainey and is the original place to go in DTWN Austin. I'd suggest Rustic Tap but if you want something a little more exciting then good beer and live music just up the street are three great spots on the same corner (6th and Nueces) Star Bar, Parlor and Yard, and Little Woodrows.

The Domain was mentioned above and is a great spot for an afternoon drink with shopping and dinner. Velvet Taco if you are up that way is a favorite of ours. It's a long way from downtown though. It really all depends on where you are staying, how long you are in town for, and if you have a car. If you make the trip to SA go to "the Pearl". you're welcome.

Reaction Score
I live in Austin. If you want to have a good night and get a bunch in all at once:

1. Iron Works BBQ is in DTWN and as good if not better than almost all the others. Salt Lick you have to go to the original and most of the other amazing one's are all a long trip.

2. Rainey St. Go. So many different bars and everyone can find something that works for them

3. West 6th Street, about half a mile from Rainey and is the original place to go in DTWN Austin. I'd suggest Rustic Tap but if you want something a little more exciting then good beer and live music just up the street are three great spots on the same corner (6th and Nueces) Star Bar, Parlor and Yard, and Little Woodrows.

The Domain was mentioned above and is a great spot for an afternoon drink with shopping and dinner. Velvet Taco if you are up that way is a favorite of ours. It's a long way from downtown though. It really all depends on where you are staying, how long you are in town for, and if you have a car. If you make the trip to SA go to "the Pearl". you're welcome.
Thanks for the local opinion Cap. We did decide to get a car. We have all day/night Wednesday (get in at 10am) and Thursday, and all day Friday (leave at 7:30pm). So it's quick, but we have time. My wife, who is not a big BBQ fan, booked Geraldine's on July 4th. Music and apparently fireworks. She booked Carpenter's Hall on Friday night. We definitely planned on Rainey St. and 6th Street and she wanted to tour the state capital. She hates bats, but I think we'll go see them.

Reaction Score

I think Iron Works is the one I went to downtown - it was amazing. Thank you! I couldn’t remember the name. After you said it I looked it up and the pictures and how they serve on orange trays... that’s it! I liked it better than Salt Lick although Salt Lick was great. And yes, it was the original Salt Lick.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Austin much better than San Antonio.
Maybe for someone in their early 20s not for a married couple, SA is way better. Outside of 6th street there’s not that much to do and you don’t get the Texas experience in Austin like you do in DFW and SA.

Reaction Score
Skip Franklin’s and head to Micklethwait Craft Meats, equally awesome with almost no wait.
Bats are cool but temps determine their exit, it could be dark when they exit, if 100°

90 minutes west is Fredricksburg, german area and nearby is Luckenbach, TX

Reaction Score
La Barbecue is just as good as Franklin's and half the wait. Get the beef rib.

Torchys tacos and Gordos Doughnuts are also both great non bbq options.

I have had Texas BBQ 1 time so I have no basis for comparison to the other establishments. That said, the brisket at La BBQ is the best thing I have eaten.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I’m from KC so no stranger to BBQ. in Texas brisket is what it is all about. Wasn’t really the case is KC. Barbecue isn’t magic. They can do it right anywhere if they try. I have friends who do competition bbq stuff in KC. It’s skill plus quality meat mostly.

In Austin, Rudy’s is a chain of gas station BBQ. But the breakfast tacos there are absolutely awesome.

Reaction Score
I’m from KC so no stranger to BBQ. in Texas brisket is what it is all about. Wasn’t really the case is KC. Barbecue isn’t magic. They can do it right anywhere if they try. I have friends who do competition bbq stuff in KC. It’s skill plus quality meat mostly.

In Austin, Rudy’s is a chain of gas station BBQ. But the breakfast tacos there are absolutely awesome.
The brisket is the best I’ve ever had anywhere. It’s so much more flavorful and tender than what I’ve had in KC (and the BBQ there is amazing - but I think there it’s the ribs that are ridiculous).
It’s like they have some secret brisket animal in Texas. The heartburn is completely worth it. Eating it with a Shiner Bock is a perfect evening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom