OT: Shooting in NYC (Empire State Building) | The Boneyard

OT: Shooting in NYC (Empire State Building)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had a meeting today on 33rd Street between Park and Madison and took the 6 train to 33rd and Park Ave station. I walked west past Legends toward Empire State Building to grab my morning coffee with about 30 mins to spare before my meeting at 33rd BTW Park and Madison. On my way back towards Madison bullets went flying and 1 nearly missed me. I dove head first to the ground all the while looking to see if anyone was injured. I saw the gunman get taken out. It was SURREAL.

In retrospect it was a great experience. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

Reaction Score
I had a meeting today on 33rd Street between Park and Madison and took the 6 train to 33rd and Park Ave station. I walked west past Legends toward Empire State Building to grab my morning coffee with about 30 mins to spare before my meeting at 33rd BTW Park and Madison. On my way back towards Madison bullets went flying and 1 nearly missed me. I dove head first to the ground all the while looking to see if anyone was injured. I saw the gunman get taken out. It was SURREAL.

In retrospect it was a great experience. I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

I have no idea how I missed you??!! LOL

Seriously glad you're okay and that is a very scary scenario.......

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score

10/10 would get shot at again

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"Mr. Johnson was killed and nine bystanders were wounded, perhaps all by police bullets." If we get all that collateral damage from trained officers, how are things going to be better if a bunch of folks with a fraction of the training are walking around carrying?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
"Mr. Johnson was killed and nine bystanders were wounded, perhaps all by police bullets." If we get all that collateral damage from trained officers, how are things going to be better if a bunch of folks with a fraction of the training are walking around carrying?
or maybe they have more

Reaction Score
If we get all that collateral damage from trained officers, how are things going to be better if a bunch of folks with a fraction of the training are walking around carrying?
"Trained". Hah! Good one.
My experience with LEOs is that they are extremely poor with their weapons. The state police in my state, for example, are not required to fire a certain number of rounds per year. The last statie I spoke with told me she hadn't fired her sidearm in over a year.

Trained!!! Good one.

Reaction Score

Update: The Guardian is reporting that the nine bystanders who were shot (that didn't include the shooter's target) were all shot by police, and that Jeffrey Johnson never fired on police.

Reaction Score
Hoping you are all good. Wild story

Reaction Score

Hope you didn't spill your coffee.

Reaction Score
I have no idea how I missed you??!! LOL

Seriously glad you're okay and that is a very scary scenario.......

Thanks! I knew I had to run real fast when I saw your face! ;)

This kind of stuff pretty much hits you the following day. After the shock wears off.

Peace Bro...

Reaction Score
Hope you didn't spill your coffee.

Very Very good spontaneous wit there bro!

I'm very Old school so was hunting for the right Dunkin Donuts in the neighborhood. I took my suit to the cleaners today. Better coffee on it than blood I guess!

Reaction Score
Good luck on your recovery. Where did it hit you?
I wasn't hit. What I did was a Kemba cross over and then a dive similar to the SDST tournament game to avoid being hit! In retrospect it worked but not sure that increased my odds or not.

Reaction Score
So your training dodging campus police paid off :)
HAHAHA! It wasn't until today that I understood the motive behind the shooting. Yesterday I was concerned about survival!!!!!!! Getting new perspective is a good thing.

Reaction Score
HAHAHA! It wasn't until today that I understood the motive behind the shooting. Yesterday I was concerned about survival!!!!!!! Getting new perspective is a good thing.

Seriously glad you made it physically unscathed. Being involved in something like that definitely gives you a different perspective about life and death.

Reaction Score
"Trained". Hah! Good one.
My experience with LEOs is that they are extremely poor with their weapons. The state police in my state, for example, are not required to fire a certain number of rounds per year. The last statie I spoke with told me she hadn't fired her sidearm in over a year. Trained!!! Good one.

Weapons training is a requirement that varies with the jurisdiction, and it's very expensive (even using wad-cutter reloads), so that's probably the reason for lower(ed) training standards in many places. But shooting situations take more than just training. ;)

I've shot & trained with all levels of enforcement officers and have found only a very small percentage are especially proficient. It's a skill. And most people have a generally mediocre ability. You can train them only so much. I'd compare it to drivers or foul-shooting (skills)... the vast majority of people, even after training... will never be especially great. They'll merely be "good enough" (for some arbitrary rule/law). Remember that cops aren't the top 1%... of the top 1% that the military picks for it's most elite special forces. They're everyone... the entire force... the 100%. So most are average... at best.

And in real-life shooting situations you need to also have a naturally calm psyche... the ability to react under pressure (when your adrenaline ramps up) with a super focus. Even fewer cops (of the ones that do have shooting skills) have that ability too. And you only know it for certain after the sh_t hits the fan (which is a very rare thing).

As for those here that dismiss those (few) ordinary armed citizens who choose to carry concealed weapons... understand that the vast majority of those people ARE more skilled in shooting & tend to have a greater internal/psychological calmness than your average cop. Many are longtime shooters, ex-military or law enforcement, and take it very seriously. It's a pain in the ass and they don't train & carry cause they have to (job requirement). I'd simply respect such people (as much or more) than the "official" police. Especially since they're more likely to be around than a cop if/when some nut goes berserk in a public place.

Reaction Score

300px-DuckTales_(Main_title).jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01