OT: Shippee | The Boneyard

OT: Shippee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edge2017

Bleed Blue
Reaction Score
I just got my Freshmen dorm assignment and was wondering if the alums/students could fill me in on the quality of the Shippee dorms. Can't wait to be a husky. Thanks in advance guys!

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
When I went there (2001) they were old and ladies only. Have they been renovated?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
When I went there (2001) they were old and ladies only. Have they been renovated?

The ladies?

I imagine it will be popular being so close to the new development.

Reaction Score
Old and in East, but it's college so how bad could it be?

Reaction Score
Drove by campus last Sunday. Shippee was being renovated; new lower levels, all new bathrooms, new sidewalks and it is one of the closest to the new downtown(Storrs Center).

Reaction Score
was all awkward girls when I was there 98-02...

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
It was an all-women's dorm when I was at UConn. From my limited access, I remember it being a run-of-the-mill dorm for the time (Pre-new South Campus), which is not saying a much. I remember many of the Fine Arts students lived there.

Point of Clarification: Shippee is not in East Campus. Holcomb was the all Women's Dorm in East. I lived in Hicks Hall during my first semester at UConn, before moving in with one of my friends in Alumni.

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Shippee sucks. I'm sorry you have to live there. Unless you're an art/music major. Then you're right near your classes.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Shippee sucks. I'm sorry you have to live there. Unless you're an art/music major. Then you're right near your classes.
Truth be told, Towers was no closer to the center of Campus. What sucks about Shippee is that it is clear across the property from MSB, the Chem building, and such, where many of the freshman prereqs. were. Proximity to Ted's, Huskies, and the Civic Pub (which has probably changed names 7 times since the late 90s) is not as important, as a freshman.

In terms of resident gender split, It very well could have gone co-ed. Hicks was not male-only when I was there. Sprague was.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Shippee is pretty close to Arjona and Monteith at least. I was at UConn 08-12 and the dorms themselves weren't great and were honors kids only. Your dining hall is in Buckley, arguably the worst on campus. But the walk to East isn't bad, and you will be albe to meet a lot of people living next to Buckley. Now that the Storrs Center is running though I'm sure it's a good spot to live. However, way too far away from the houses on Hunting Lodge and Carriage, which is where I did most of my freshman partying besides dorms

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Personally, I moved out of Towers after my first semester to Northwest and that's how I've ultimately come to meet all my friends now. If you feel like you're not having as good a time as you think you should, apply for a move.

Husky25

Reaction Score
Personally, I moved out of Towers after my first semester to Northwest and that's how I've ultimately come to meet all my friends now. If you feel like you're not having as good a time as you think you should, apply for a move.
If you graduated in the 20th century, Northwest was called Frats.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
Well, as my post alluded, I didn't. It was the last year it was all-freshman and Russel-Batterson had some big drinking groups. Awesome times

Husky25

Reaction Score
My post was more of an FYI than anything sinister.;)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Aw c'mon don't sugar coat it Phil.;)

15 min walk from South (Wheeler) to MSB. Add another couple minutes for Shippee. Not a big deal.

You know, at the end of the day college is fun. Living in Shippee will be great.

Reaction Score
In the long run your dorm is what you make of it. I lived in towers and loved it

Reaction Score
Weird Art/Drama Chicks...depends on your major. Liberal arts/poly sci is closer walks but business, math, engineering, etc is a haul. Then again, all I had was store 24 so I might have preferred it over towers....nah.

Reaction Score
Does anyone remember hearing about Shippee Sue? This is back in the late 70's. Boy do I feel old.

Reaction Score
In the long run your dorm is what you make of it. I lived in towers and loved it

I agree my girlfriend lived in Hollister late 70's/early 80's and I made the best of that........;)

Reaction Score
The C rooms have individual bathrooms. I lived in the A side in 07 (was the honors dorm then). Honestly, I really liked Shippee.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
The C rooms have individual bathrooms. I lived in the A side in 07 (was the honors dorm then). Honestly, I really liked Shippee.

I lived in The Lester (Shippee) in '05. Dorms are what you make of them. You have your standard mix but at one point we had people traveling from North and Northwest to party in the honors dorms with us.... Made some informal list of places to party that year.... http://freshmanchecklist.com/schools/uconn-best-places-to-party.html

Long story short... Dorm life is what you make of it and with the new downtown center I imagine you can make even more of it.

Reaction Score
I lived in Buckley my freshman year. Met some good people there, but the location in proximity to the off-campus partying is terrible and the dining hall was usually just vegan food. Awful.

I remember stumbling home drunk from Hunting Lodge Road to Buckley all the time. It was about a 40 minute walk. I was almost sober by the time I got back to my dorm.

Bill Sussman

My Name isn't really Bill
Reaction Score
I lived in Buckley my freshman year. Met some good people there, but the location in proximity to the off-campus partying is terrible and the dining hall was usually just vegan food. Awful.

I remember stumbling home drunk from Hunting Lodge Road to Buckley all the time. It was about a 40 minute walk. I was almost sober by the time I got back to my dorm.

One plus of Buckley in my days was that the dining hall was open late so you could go grab a round of free mixers. The walks to hunting lodge were definitely brutal but I also had some fun times on those walks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom