OT: Shaka Smart to Marquette? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Shaka Smart to Marquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's an enormous hire for the Big East, they desperately needed to replenish the coaching tree after losing Stevens and Williams.

I liked Buzz, but Smart is actually a step up for Marquette, right? Marquette fans have to be ecstatic.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
No. I never ended up applying up there. Too cold for my wife. I live in Boston now.
She must have really loved the balmy winter we had here in New England.

caw

Reaction Score
Ahmed Hill (MQ) and Terry Larrier (VCU). Hmm. Would love Larrier. Wouldn't mind Hill. I know everyone wants a big but...

Reaction Score
Living in Richmond, I can't imagine why anyone would want to go to Milwaukee, home area or not.
My son went to Marquette Law so I spent some time there and liked the city. Also spent some time in Richmond and Milwaukee is a lot more fun. Different strokes for different folks I guess.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I would call that a Surname/Career choice MISMATCH

Reaction Score
Look...I love my wife, but it's not like I thought the logic made a lot of sense...
Congratulations on successfully putting 'logic', 'making sense' and 'wife' in the same sentence!

Reaction Score
Very weird. Even if you're from WI that's a ballsy move to pass on UCLA and Illinois, especially with all of the conference realignment. He's basically going from one mid-major conference to another. Granted when the dust settles the Big East will probably still be a step up from the A-10 but it won't be that big of a gap and the Big East is never going to be competing the Big 10 or ACC again.

The last time a current member of the Big East won a national championship it was 1985. The Fox Sports TV deal is going to kill the conference along with the departures of all the powerhouses.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Marquette's basketball program can burn money they have so much. Just look at Buzz's old contract there for proof. If he's going he could do far worse.

Unfortunately, for him, he could have also done far better in years passed.

Reaction Score
I don't care what the early rumors are but I don't buy this. Hometown or not, you just don't turn down UCLA and pick Marquette. Its not like he has fallen off. He could pretty much get any job that opens.

Reaction Score
All This Talk Of Mid Majors And Lateral Moves. Does Vcu Come Close To Paying The Same As Marquette? If Not, Then It's Probably Not A Lateral move.

Reaction Score
There is a concept called quality of life. I would submit that there is no contest here. Having spent time in both cities and suburbs this is no contest. However, with the money Smart would be getting, probably not an issue (the money part, not the quality of life). Additionally, I know that Smart "owns" Richmond. A move to Milwaukee may or may not bring the same benefits. Couple that with weather and other qualities of life and he may think twice or his wife may. Unless, of course, this is a done deal.

Reaction Score
It seems to me that the MU fan base got trolled. Their "legit" source had them waiting for a 6 pm announcement from the athletic department.

Reaction Score
Terry Larrier, come to us.

Was gonna ask about this... Larrier clearly went to VCU for the Shaka factor and we finished 2nd. Would we take him if we wanted to switch up? Do we even have any scholarships? I know wishful thinking, but Larrier would fit in nice with all the athletes we're bringing in.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
It seems to me that the MU fan base got trolled. Their "legit" source had them waiting for a 6 pm announcement from the athletic department.
Someone go there and tell them the announcement is coming in 20 minutes.

Reactions: caw

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
ESPN really, really doesn't want Smart at Marquette. I wonder if they will guarantee additional national games for Wake if he goes there instead.

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score
Was gonna ask about this... Larrier clearly went to VCU for the Shaka factor and we finished 2nd. Would we take him if we wanted to switch up? Do we even have any scholarships? I know wishful thinking, but Larrier would fit in nice with all the athletes we're bringing in.

We have one left for this year. We could definitely take him.

Reaction Score
This whole story is fascinating. Marquette insiders and local reporters were reporting the deal was done. It was the lead story on the news on WISN and Fox.

fwjvpqsa9ydh9j1dksl5.jpg

There were huge threads on the Marquette board celebrating the hire (fans were even lining up for a press conference at the Al McGuire center on campus) but the whole time something seemed off to me. Now it appears that the sources were completely wrong, Smart had no contact whatsoever with the administration and he has no interest in going to Marquette.

I somewhat feel for the Marquette fans but when something seems too good to be true, it probably is.

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
You just don't turn down UCLA and take the Marquette job.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Calhoun to VCU? ;)
Well I've never heard him say that wasn't interested in the postion so.... cue Jeff Jacobs in 3,2, ....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom