OT: Shaka Smart to Marquette? | The Boneyard

OT: Shaka Smart to Marquette?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Thought this guy was just restricted to recruiting news, but Borzello did say he was hearing some rumblings earlier.

Jerry Meyer ‏@jerrymeyer247 3m
Hearing from multiple sources that Shaka Smart to Marquette is after all very likely to happen and happen soon.

Reaction Score
Virginia Tech didn't want Shaka, apparently, they wanted Buzz.

Reaction Score
Living in Richmond, I can't imagine why anyone would want to go to Milwaukee, home area or not.

Reaction Score
Terry Larrier must be saying to himself why the hell did I pick VCU.
Ohhhhh, interesting subplot here. Wonder what happens with him and if he wants to follow Shaka to Marquette (if this story checks out).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I could see Wake Forest or BCU, just for the upgrade in conference, but aside from going back home this would not appear on its face to be a great career move.

But sometimes people are drawn by the desire to go back home and make good with a program that, due to their own personal history, they hold in higher regard than warranted under present circumstances. Like Edsall and Maryland.

Reaction Score
I think he grew up in Wisconsin. That's going home for him.

You're right, he's from Madison, so this makes sense, especially if you go on the premise that Virginia's coach is eventually ticketed for Wisky after the mad one retires, this would be Smart's best chance at a job close to home (unless he covets Northwestern and DePaul!).

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Virginia Tech didn't want Shaka, apparently, they wanted Buzz.

You are very funny.

Shaka Smart has turned down several major conference oppenings (VT at least once, Illinois), and he looks like he is going to take the Marquette job despite having an offer from Wake Forest. Interesting.

Reaction Score
You are very funny.

Shaka Smart has turned down several major conference oppenings (VT at least once, Illinois), and he looks like he is going to take the Marquette job despite having an offer from Wake Forest. Interesting.
Turned down UCLA last year, too.

Reaction Score
Ohhhhh, interesting subplot here. Wonder what happens with him and if he wants to follow Shaka to Marquette (if this story checks out).

That's frowned upon, no? Only Calipari has managed that one so far.

Reaction Score
Lateral move at best - maybe slightly backward.

Definitely not. If memory serves me correct, Marquette has a top 5 basketball budget nationally. Private jet for recruiting trips and other needs I believe, stays in 5-star hotels road trips etc. Great facilities, fan base, playing in better conference (A10's year was a senior heavy aberration in my opinion).

Reaction Score
Some guy on VCU's board is saying it's a done deal to Marquette on a 6 year deal

Reaction Score
Marquette has an excellent fan base and a lot more tradition than VCU. This isn't the big step up I would've expected Shaka to make, but I don't think it's a lateral move either.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Chicago is wide open for recruiting. Get Shaka away from Tobacco Road/DC corridor where he competes for talent with a ton of programs, and put him within 90 minutes of one of the best and deepest pools of high school talent in the country and only Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois and Depaul to compete with locally, and Shaka is going to clean house. Athletes don't want to play Wisconsin's style, Purnell just isn't getting it done at Depaul, and Illinois and Northwestern have new coaches that are still proving themselves.

Marquette has two big losses in Gardner and Wilson, and loses two other starters I believe (did Otule start?), so next year could be tough. That said, Williams' recruiting has been solid. 4 of this year's class has already signed LOI's, and I don't see any recruits not wanting to play for Smart. Smart plays a similar style to Williams too, just dialed up a couple of notches.

Reaction Score
Chicago is wide open for recruiting. Get Shaka away from Tobacco Road/DC corridor where he competes for talent with a ton of programs, and put him within 90 minutes of one of the best and deepest pools of high school talent in the country and only Wisconsin, Northwestern, Illinois and Depaul to compete with locally, and Shaka is going to clean house. Athletes don't want to play Wisconsin's style, Purnell just isn't getting it done at Depaul, and Illinois and Northwestern have new coaches that are still proving themselves.

Marquette has two big losses in Gardner and Wilson, and loses two other starters I believe (did Otule start?), so next year could be tough. That said, Williams' recruiting has been solid. 4 of this year's class has already signed LOI's, and I don't see any recruits not wanting to play for Smart. Smart plays a similar style to Williams too, just dialed up a couple of notches.
Nelson, you are partially right on this. If Purnell, with his Clemson style, could win some games, DePaul had a shot at getting real good. But Wisconsin players don't want to play Wisconsin ball. Shaka can really succeed here.

But, I don't think it's as wide open as you are suggesting. Michigan, Michigan State, and Indiana from the B1G recruit those areas pretty heavily, and Kansas love that area as well. But it is less heavily recruited, and Shaka's style is more appealing than many other styles.

Reaction Score

Groce has already done pretty well in Chi and the surrounding areas in IL, he hasn't signed the true elites but he's snagged quite a few 4 & 3 stars, and then when it comes to the 5 stars you're competing with not only the upper echelon of the B1G, but UK, Kansas, and Duke, which have all done very well recruiting in that area over the last decade plus. Smart has the personality, style, and coaching rep to be a great recruiter but if it's at Marquette he'll be doing it from a lower level league and playing on FS while all those schools are on ESPN and in P5 conferences.

Reaction Score
Nelson, you are partially right on this. If Purnell, with his Clemson style, could win some games, DePaul had a shot at getting real good. But Wisconsin players don't want to play Wisconsin ball. Shaka can really succeed here.

But, I don't think it's as wide open as you are suggesting. Michigan, Michigan State, and Indiana from the B1G recruit those areas pretty heavily, and Kansas love that area as well. But it is less heavily recruited, and Shaka's style is more appealing than many other styles.

Are you at Madison now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01