OT: Scotch thread | The Boneyard

OT: Scotch thread

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I think we need a Scotch thread.

Here you go @HuskyHawk.

I'll start: my house Scotch, which is my favorite, is Lagavulin 16 year. But all my locals are now charging $80 or more for it, which pisses me off because I used to be able to get it for $65 to $70. Now I'll need to make a trip to Total Wine to find that price.

Anyone got suggestions for something similar to Lagavulin that I might check out? I've liked a lot of the special Balvenie Scotches I've had, but they weren't much cheaper.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here you go @HuskyHawk.

I'll start: my house Scotch, which is my favorite, is Lagavulin 16 year. But all my locals are now charging $80 or more for it, which pisses me off because I used to be able to get it for $65 to $70. Now I'll need to make a trip to Total Wine to find that price.

Anyone got suggestions for something similar to Lagavulin that I might check out? I've liked a lot of the special Balvenie Scotches I've had, but they weren't much cheaper.

I would seek out Ledaig 10 as a possible replacement. Caol Ila 12 is closer to the Lagavulin peat profile, but is almost as expensive as Lagavulin 16. Adding @History Geek Ardbeg 10 is a good bargain as well.

Reaction Score
I'm only about peat. I keep four bottles at all times:

- Lagavulin 16
- Laphroaig Quarter Cask
- Ardbeg Uigeadail
- Caol Ila 12

I drink the Laphroaig most often since Lagavulin has gotten too expensive. Their Quarter Cask is far better than the 10 year IMO and only a few dollars more.

These days, I only buy Lagavulin when visiting my wife's family in California as it's $55 at Costco out there. I buy one bottle to leave at the in-laws, one is put in my luggage home and the other goes in my wife's bag-- those two bottles brought home last the year. I believe the last time I looked at the Total Wine in Milford it was $86 a bottle. I haven't been to the Norwalk location in a while.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I don't have any "house Scotch". I've traded for probably 50-60 samples over the last two years, and I've written 30 some odd reviews on Reddit. Current bottles: Lagavulin 12 Cask Strength, Longrow Red Shiraz, Ledaig 10, Macallan 12, Glenfiddich 14 (gift), a fantastic IB Tobermory at 13 years, Compass Box Great King Street Artists single marrying cask, Oban 14, Kilkerran 8 CS and others.
Here's the whole inventory. https: //www.reddit.com/r/whiskyinventory/comments/70c6ij/wildoscar66_usa_boston/

The Longrow Red Shiraz and the Tobermory are standouts for me. I like the Longrow Red Port better, and I'm contemplating overpaying slightly to get one. The Lagavulin 12 is wonderful, a nice upgrade to the 16.

Reaction Score
Here you go @HuskyHawk.

I bought a case of it (my favorite too) for $40 a bottle offline. I gave some of it as presents (to soccer coaches, contractors, a teacher, etc., a sound tech). I had 20 bottles of it!

If you make that $800 investment, it might be worth it if you drink a lot of it.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I bought a case of it (my favorite too) for $40 a bottle offline. I gave some of it as presents (to soccer coaches, contractors, a teacher, etc., a sound tech). I had 20 bottles of it!

If you make that $800 investment, it might be worth it if you drink a lot of it.
That is a great investment. How do I find it?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I like that, too.

My friend and I would get a pour before many an evening class during law school.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Macallen 18.

End thread

Yeah, if you've got a spare $300+. The Macallan Classic Cut is delicious by the way. Much cheaper.

Reaction Score
I'm only about peat. I keep four bottles at all times:

- Lagavulin 16
- Laphroaig Quarter Cask
- Ardbeg Uigeadail
- Caol Ila 12

I drink the Laphroaig most often since Lagavulin has gotten too expensive. Their Quarter Cask is far better than the 10 year IMO and only a few dollars more.

These days, I only buy Lagavulin when visiting my wife's family in California as it's $55 at Costco out there. I buy one bottle to leave at the in-laws, one is put in my luggage home and the other goes in my wife's bag-- those two bottles brought home last the year. I believe the last time I looked at the Total Wine in Milford it was $86 a bottle. I haven't been to the Norwalk location in a while.

I’m a Laphroiag guy. Been hitting the Triple Wood lately. Super smooth.

Reaction Score
In my office - lots of gifts, including:

- Glentauchers 16
- Balblair 2003
- Couple of Balvenie variants
- Glendornach
- Laphroaig 10/15/18/Triple Wood
- Kilchoman

And old standards like:

- JW Blue
- Martell Cordon Bleu

Attachments

• Scotch.jpg
    Scotch.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 112
Reaction Score
Not scotch but whiskey...

Hibiki 17. Blows the doors off of Blue.

I thoroughly enjoy royal salute also.

Macallan 18 is cheap at Costco FYI

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I'm partial to the Highlands - Macallan 12 and 18, special cask (was a gift), Kilchoman, Highland Park, Really enjoying a Belvenie 15, have the Ardbeg, Laphroaig 10 and 16,
but my favorite is Talisker 18, Talisker 10 or Storm will do in a pinch.

Reaction Score
I'm partial to the Highlands - Macallan 12 and 18, special cask (was a gift), Kilchoman, Highland Park, Really enjoying a Belvenie 15, have the Ardbeg, Laphroaig 10 and 16,
but my favorite is Talisker 18, Talisker 10 or Storm will do in a pinch.
You guys are snobs! Johnny Walker Red will wet my whistle just fine. Just kidding (although I don't hate JW Black).

I generally moved to bourbon over Scotch a few years ago. I found that Macallan 12 was my favorite and Scotch lovers mocked that a bit. I don't love the peaty Scotches like Laphroaig (but I respect them) and found that what I liked in the Macallan 12 was more prevalent in bourbon.

Separately, someone mentioned JW Blue. When I had season tickets for the Giants at the old stadium, my tickets came with a pre and post party that included a crappy buffet, but open bar. They had your standard drinks, but JW was a sponsor so they poured JW Blue (Giants = Big Blue)! I used to give the bartender a tip to go a bit heavy on the pour. After a couple pre-game drinks, he'd fill a small plastic cup for me on my way into the game. I typically had to share with others around me or I'd get too drunk (and look like a Jets fan). I probably drank/shared about $75 worth per game if I owned the bottle, a ton more than that if I bought at a bar/restaurant. That all went away with the new sterile stadium.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
If you like peat on a budget, there are two recommendations I can give you:

Finlaggan, which you can get for $20 at Trader Joe's
Black Bottle, an islay blend which you can usually find for $25-ish

Neither's going to go head-to-head with the likes of Lagavulin 16 or Caol Ila 12 or even Laphroaig 10, but I still have fun drinking the hell out of them.

Reaction Score
Ardbeg is great if you like the Islays. Its a little lighter/cleaner than Lagavulin or Laphroaig, but still a peaty Islay. Bowmore is hit or miss but can also be good. Or just drink tequila (Don Julio).

Reaction Score
Ardbeg is great if you like the Islays. Its a little lighter/cleaner than Lagavulin or Laphroaig, but still a peaty Islay. Bowmore is hit or miss but can also be good. Or just drink tequila (Don Julio).

Oh i forgot Caol Ila (mentioned in post above), also very good.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Not sure about tequila, but if you like smoke, there are some very good Mezcals out there. Not cheap, but cheaper than Scotch.

The best bargain Spirit is rum. Amazing rum can be had for the price of very ordinary Scotch.

Reaction Score
Did you guys know it was National Margarita Day yesterday? Just wondering.:eek:

I did!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul