OT: Sauce or Gravy? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Sauce or Gravy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
"Gravy" in reference to tomato sauce is literally just a bad translation of the Italian word to English.

Which Italian word?

Reaction Score
The only Italian Americans I've met that call it gravy are the pretentious ones who still think they're true "italians" when they're now 5-6 generations removed from Italy. All my friends with FOB parents call it sauce.

"Gravy" in reference to tomato sauce is literally just a bad translation of the Italian word to English.

So something like a putanesca sauce? I.e. - sauce of the whore? (That sauce is wonderful with fish, and does a wonderful job of disguising the oiliness of certain fish). Oh my god, that description sounds like a bad joke. Wasn't meant to be the way it reads.

Reaction Score
So something like a putanesca sauce? I.e. - sauce of the whore? (That sauce is wonderful with fish, and does a wonderful job of disguising the oiliness of certain fish). Oh my god, that description sounds like a bad joke. Wasn't meant to be the way it reads.
A good puttanesca sauce is the best. Over some nice fresh pasta, preferably pappardelle!

Reaction Score

Done drinkin' yet? ;)

Reaction Score
I only heard spaghetti sauce being referred to as gravy in the Sopranos.

Reaction Score
My maternal Sicilian Grandmother, whose family settled in Brooklyn, called it gravy. My paternal Grandmother who was from Potenza called in sauce. Oddly my mother calls it sauce.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
My mother is 3rd generation 100% Italian American. I also knew both sets of her great grandparents, who lived within walking distance of my grandparents in upstate New York. In nearly 39 years, I've never heard them refer to sauce as anything but sauce.

People who call it Gravy have seen The Sopranos and Jersey Shore one too many times.

Reaction Score
My mother is 3rd generation 100% Italian American. I also knew both sets of her great grandparents, who lived within walking distance of my grandparents in upstate New York. In nearly 39 years, I've never heard them refer to sauce as anything but sauce.

People who call it Gravy have seen The Sopranos and Jersey Shore one too many times.

I would agree, but the first time i heard Red Gravy predates both of those shows.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
My maternal Sicilian Grandmother, whose family settled in Brooklyn, called it gravy. My paternal Grandmother who was from Potenza called in sauce. Oddly my mother calls it sauce.
Obviously your mom is not politically correct otherwise she would call it sauce on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and every other Sunday and gravy Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and every other Sunday.

I'm with @jleves. Name is unimportant outside of my interest in the historical derivations of the words. I'm purely into the taste factor. If I like it I don't care what it's called. If I dislike it than Fuhgettaboutit!!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I'm 2nd generation 100% Italian- American. We always called it sauce but I have always noticed that people from NYC and NJ call it gravy. Funny thing is I have never heard anyone refer to alfredo gravy, marinara gravy or puttanesca gravy.
So they are wrong

Reaction Score
I love it when some guy posts a thread entitled, "My Cat has Worms/Butt Bleeding - Need Vet Help"

And some second guy gets upset that no "OT" was used in the title.

i think scout has a bleeding cat a** forum. So that topic clearly should not be on the basketball site.

Reaction Score
I thought this was just a preference question until clicking through... I've never heard anyone call red sauce gravy.

Reaction Score
10393929_573488159461007_8980995986397450136_n.jpg

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'll second the notion that "gravy" seems to be limited to NYC/NJ.

Reaction Score
This is from Urban Dictionary:

Red Gravy
(n.) A mixture of red sauce, (Spaghetti, Marinara, etc.) and period blood. Found primarily in African American culture. Red Gravy is used to put a spell on a man which keeps him from leaving the woman who gave him the Red Gravy.

Reaction Score
Seems like the Urban Dictionary thing could backfire. What if the woman grows tired of the dude. Then you have a stalker on your hands. Careful what you wish for ladies.

Reaction Score
I had never heard gravy for red sauce until I moved to PA and weird Italian people from Jersey started saying it... as far as I know no one else calls it gravy.
I grew up in an an Itlaian family in an Italian neighborhood in Ct.
and I never heard sauce referred to as gravy.
Actually sauce was meat or Plain.
But Ironically I didn't like tomato sauce as a kid.
Mom would put a mix of Butter and my Grandmothers homemade Cheese on my pasta.
I just paid 7 bucks for a tiny wedge of Peccorino Romano which would have been about a tenth of a cake of Nonni (Derby's ) homemade cheese which she gave us.
She also made Liquors ,along with wine.She might even distilled some Grappa. A cup of coffee at her house was very special. Two cups could result in a DUI.
As good a cook as she was she wasn't even in the same class as my mom.
My moms Pasta was homemade , and her Roasted Chicken was to die for
She could even make spinach delicious.

We have made great advances in my lifetime almost everywhere accept the Quality of Food I grew up Is almost impossible to replicate.
My two cousins in Italy came the closest to providing the quality of a normal meal at my house. But they went all out for my visit.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Agree with the Alfredo sauce - but IMHO the clam pizza at Frank Pepe's is one of the great meals available in the USA.

Oh, hell yes.

Reaction Score
I forget the 'used in a sentence' part of urban dictionary. Which is always the best part.

she a crack ho but I can't leave her. tha bi*** gayme da Red Gravy!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Agree with the Alfredo sauce - but IMHO the clam pizza at Frank Pepe's is one of the great meals available in the USA.
Whoa. Hold on there. Pizza is in a different thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom