OT: Roy Halladay's Plane Down in Gulf of Mexico | The Boneyard

OT: Roy Halladay's Plane Down in Gulf of Mexico

Reaction Score
Tragic. One of the pitchers of our generation and by all accounts a tremendous person

Charlie Morton copied Roy's windup and mechanics when he reinvented himself with the pirates

Reaction Score
This is so sad. Very unfortunate when you think of how many sports stars we have lost at such a young age from plane crashes, Marciano, Clemente, Munson, Payne Stewart, and now Roy Halladay.

Reaction Score
The number of these small plane crashes that have happened this year alone is crazy. Count me out on those going forward.

Halladay was a monster and was all class. Very sad day.

Reaction Score
Terrible. One of the truly great pitchers I've ever seen and one of the good guys. Next stop is the Hall.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
So good so dedicated and oh so young
prayers and thoughts go out to his family

Reaction Score
Supposedly his wife reported that she was against him getting the plane and flying but she gave in. His father was a corporate pilot. Think about people with tons of money that got in to flying and had crashes maybe without adequate training. John John Kennedy, a Yankee pitcher whose name escapes me and now Halladay.

Reaction Score
Supposedly his wife reported that she was against him getting the plane and flying but she gave in. His father was a corporate pilot. Think about people with tons of money that got in to flying and had crashes maybe without adequate training. John John Kennedy, a Yankee pitcher whose name escapes me and now Halladay.
Cory Lidle.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Heartbreaking news. Prayers for his family and loved ones.

Reaction Score
Thurman Munson.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
There’s a really small number of these planes in operation and three or four of them have crashed this year.

That’s not a good sign.

Reaction Score
It's weird because I was just thinking about him the other day. I forget why, but I remember being struck at the time by how real and down-to-earth he came across while he was playing. Guy was a big deal, though. I remember eight or nine years ago constantly refreshing every news source I could find in order to figure out where he was going to be traded. For a while it appeared he may never leave Toronto (that was back when the Jays were bad, too - crazy to think that for as good as he was he only pitched in five playoff games, his first being a no-hitter). That was back when baseball mattered more to me, and as things broke, the peak of his powers coincided with the height of my fanhood. As a Yankee fan he was like the boogeyman - whether real or perceived he seemed to be inhuman against us.

It's interesting how my first reaction when a player dies is to re-assess their sports reference page, and with regards to Doc, it was staggering to see how much the game has changed reflected in his statistics. He was one of the best pitchers of his generation who struck out less than seven hitters per nine innings over his career. Really goes to show how great the uptick in strikeout rate has been, and also how much I long for players like Doc - guys who took the ball and threw it, worked deep into games, and guaranteed the game didn't surpass 2.5 hours - over the current guys who will step off, walk around the mound, kick some dirt, and then hold the ball for another ten seconds.

Man, can't believe he's gone. It's always eerie when the scenery of your childhood crosses the path of mortality. R.I.P. Doc.

Reaction Score
What a bummer. As a Sox fan I saw him a lot over the years and he was a beast. He was probably underrated since he spent most of his career in Toronto but he was as good as any pitcher in the 2000's.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

He was pretty well trained as far as these types go. Grew up around planes, fully licensed, a lot of hours in rentals, and now owned his own. Not sure why he went down though.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
[ As a Yankee fan he was like the boogeyman - whether real or perceived he seemed to be inhuman against us.

[/QUOTE]

Amen to that quote.

He was always tough on NY and later found out that the benevolent Mariano Rivera taught him that wicked cutter of his and he became practically unhitable. It was great when he got traded to the NL. Sorry to see such a great athlete and credit to baseball die so tragically.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chino323

Top Bottom